The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
I can't believe anyone could fail to be impressed by the LSE campus. Everywhere me and Traum went was sparklingly new, as if they repaint daily. The uni must be absolutely loaded to afford all they invest and as for that library...all the other unis ive visited (my dad works in one too) all have a nice building but the rest are like 1960s prefabs or 1980s refurbishments. At LSE everywhere is well maintained which in turn makes for a more enjoyable environment, albeit an undoubtedly materialistic one!
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 121
chelsea_boy
you've nothing against 'them'?? Is this 'ethnics' you're referring to again?

Sorry but from what you say and the terms that you use, you sound like an absolute close minded idiot making pretty sweeping generalisations. Do you come from some completely uncultured bumpkin village or something?

I'm half Venezuelan half Spanish by the way, an 'ethnic' as you so eloquently put it.

Btw, 'bbc' stands for british-born Chinese. Maybe you should ask yourself what your problem is if you're going to leap to this sort of conclusion.

President_Ben
You've missed the point about the ethno-national cliques then.

jimmydoerre3
she only means that she doesnt like cliques instead actually being racist. i mean just because LSE is a mix of different ethnicities doesnt mean its going to be good or like a melting pot. i mean i am chinese american but i dont usually hang out with newly immigrated chinese at my school because they seem to be very withdrawn and a bit anti-social....but i am sure the lse if fine!

Enough said. Think before you shoot off at the mouth again chelsea_boy. Are you even going to LSE or here just to mouth off in general?? Get a life
Reply 122
Zenophile
Btw, 'bbc' stands for british-born Chinese. Maybe you should ask yourself what your problem is if you're going to leap to this sort of conclusion.
Enough said. Think before you shoot off at the mouth again chelsea_boy. Are you even going to LSE or here just to mouth off in general?? Get a life

Don't take him too seriously:p: some people will have to learn the hard way about what to say and what not to say:rolleyes:
Reply 123
alexeynechaev
I am sure there'll be plenty of time to catch up on the information we got in the open day:rolleyes: Have you applied for en-suite in Bankside, by the way?

It's not too much the information that I'm worried about. I just wish I was there to take a look around LSE. :smile: Oh well, I'll be in London in early September so I'll do some "sightseeing" then, I suppose. :smile:

And yes, I have applied for en-suite in Bankside. I've sent the accommodation office my acceptance form a week ago, along with the deposit. I hope they've received it by now. The postal service here's really slow. What about you? Have you applied to Bankside House as well? :smile:

EDIT: I just read this thread and found out that you have applied to Bankside House. Lol. You applied for en-suite? Have they gotten back to you on the confirmation of your place at Bankside then?
Hey what was the topic of the law talk?
Reply 125
e11even

EDIT: I just read this thread and found out that you have applied to Bankside House. Lol. You applied for en-suite? Have they gotten back to you on the confirmation of your place at Bankside then?

Are we meant to receive confirmation for our place at Bankside after we send off our deposit & acceptance form? I thought that you would only receive confirmation if you sent them a self addressed & stamped postcard. I didn't so I haven't heard anything back (sent mine off about 2 weeks ago).
Reply 126
caramello
Are we meant to receive confirmation for our place at Bankside after we send off our deposit & acceptance form? I thought that you would only receive confirmation if you sent them a self addressed & stamped postcard. I didn't so I haven't heard anything back (sent mine off about 2 weeks ago).

Hmm, I'm not too sure about that myself. I think we're both in a different situation - I finished the A Level course in January '06 so I've already met the offer conditions. Having said that though, I guess you're probably right. :smile:
Reply 127
e11even
It's not too much the information that I'm worried about. I just wish I was there to take a look around LSE. :smile: Oh well, I'll be in London in early September so I'll do some "sightseeing" then, I suppose. :smile:

And yes, I have applied for en-suite in Bankside. I've sent the accommodation office my acceptance form a week ago, along with the deposit. I hope they've received it by now. The postal service here's really slow. What about you? Have you applied to Bankside House as well? :smile:

Yep, but I haven't heard anything from them on the topic of en-suite yet, and I sent of my deposit some time around the 12th of April.

My offer conditions are AAAE, in Maths, Economics, History and Further Maths respectively; I have the first two, since I took those A-levels in basically one year:p:, but I'm quite worried about history, since its not actually the knowledge, but the style of the essays that gets marked:eek:

Which A-levels did you study yourself?

*EDIT*: It may be that we shall not hear about the en-suite until we get there- some people have said that, although I still believe that since the payment for the accommodation is normally made upfront, we should be told prior to our arrival:rolleyes:
Reply 128
caramello

According to an email from the accommodation officer, we will receive confirmation emails once they receive our acceptance letters and deposit. I sent it last Friday and haven't heard from them. I just emailed the school to make sure it has been received.Hope I will get a reply soon. Btw, I was offered a single room at Bankside House too and also applied for ensuite ones which seem very hard to get ...:biggrin:
Reply 129
he1c14h10
According to an email from the accommodation officer, we will receive confirmation emails once they receive our acceptance letters and deposit. I sent it last Friday and haven't heard from them. I just emailed the school to make sure it has been received.Hope I will get a reply soon. Btw, I was offered a single room at Bankside House too and also applied for ensuite ones which seem very hard to get ...:biggrin:

Cool:p:
i submitted the housing app online more than a month ago and i still havent gotten a reply. do i need to send in my deposit before i can get a reply, i mean i still need to meet my conditions
Reply 131
jimmydoerre3
i submitted the housing app online more than a month ago and i still havent gotten a reply. do i need to send in my deposit before i can get a reply, i mean i still need to meet my conditions

I submitted my application in Jan so I suppose you may need to wait a bit longer till they email you saying that they will offer you a place at one of your choices hopefully. Then they will ask you to complete an acceptance form and send it back together with a deposit if you do wish to accept the offer. You probably haven't got there yet so no need to worry about the deposit. :smile:
to Sjb123 and Xanthe,

I was at the International Relations talk at the visit day, wearing a brown jacket and speaking in an american accent, sitting in the front row - i must have seen one of you? it seemed that there were very few people there at the talk...

incidentally what did you think of mr buzan? i spoke to a few knowledgeable people about his comments about the differences between studying IR in the US vs in the UK and was told that his opinions were very debatable. it seemed to me that he said IR depts in the US:

1) all flock to the going trend in political thought

2) focus on what "we" the Americans will do about pending foreign policy issues instead of keeping the discussions purely academic

3) tend to put a premium on "rational economic" thinking instead of a more normative, subjective approach

4) are far less international (ie reluctant to criticise the US) than UK depts

and lastly that if you want to be taken seriously in washington, you absolutely must have at least one degree from a US uni...

---wondering if you agreed with him on this, what your reactions were?
Reply 133
alexeynechaev
Yep, but I haven't heard anything from them on the topic of en-suite yet, and I sent of my deposit some time around the 12th of April.

My offer conditions are AAAE, in Maths, Economics, History and Further Maths respectively; I have the first two, since I took those A-levels in basically one year:p:, but I'm quite worried about history, since its not actually the knowledge, but the style of the essays that gets marked:eek:

Which A-levels did you study yourself?

*EDIT*: It may be that we shall not hear about the en-suite until we get there- some people have said that, although I still believe that since the payment for the accommodation is normally made upfront, we should be told prior to our arrival:rolleyes:

Oh, speaking of en-suite rooms, did you have to fill in a seperate form online for that? We're in the same boat - I haven't had any news about that as well.

I don't think I've asked you this before. What course is your offer for? Hmm, did they not specifically say that you had to get the A's all in one sitting? My offer was worded (if I can remember correctly) like this: Obtain grades AAA in your January examinations. Anyway, good luck in making the A for History. Charm them with your essays. :wink: And well done in securing A's for Maths and Economics. :biggrin:

I took Biology (CIE), Chemistry (AQA), Physics (AQA) and Maths (OCR). Oh, and I have a number reasons for applying to read Law (which I put in my PS - not going to bore you with them, hehe. :p: ). Although it seems that my A Level subjects are more geared towards the sciences.

Just out of curiosity, which examination board do you use?
Reply 134
he1c14h10

Yeah, I should probably also email the accommodation office to get confirmation for my acceptance form & deposit.
Reply 135
e11even
Oh, speaking of en-suite rooms, did you have to fill in a seperate form online for that? We're in the same boat - I haven't had any news about that as well.

I don't think I've asked you this before. What course is your offer for? Hmm, did they not specifically say that you had to get the A's all in one sitting? My offer was worded (if I can remember correctly) like this: Obtain grades AAA in your January examinations. Anyway, good luck in making the A for History. Charm them with your essays. :wink: And well done in securing A's for Maths and Economics. :biggrin:

I took Biology (CIE), Chemistry (AQA), Physics (AQA) and Maths (OCR). Oh, and I have a number reasons for applying to read Law (which I put in my PS - not going to bore you with them, hehe. :p: ). Although it seems that my A Level subjects are more geared towards the sciences.

Just out of curiosity, which examination board do you use?

Thanks:p: My exam boards are Maths (Edexcel), Further Maths (Edexcel), History (OCR), Economics (AQA), Art (Edexcel), Russian (Edexcel) and for AS there was also Critical Thinking, which I think was OCR:smile:
Reply 136
sweetalkin88
to Sjb123 and Xanthe,

I was at the International Relations talk at the visit day, wearing a brown jacket and speaking in an american accent, sitting in the front row - i must have seen one of you? it seemed that there were very few people there at the talk...

incidentally what did you think of mr buzan? i spoke to a few knowledgeable people about his comments about the differences between studying IR in the US vs in the UK and was told that his opinions were very debatable. it seemed to me that he said IR depts in the US:

2) focus on what "we" the Americans will do about pending foreign policy issues instead of keeping the discussions purely academic

3) tend to put a premium on "rational economic" thinking instead of a more normative, subjective approach

and lastly that if you want to be taken seriously in washington, you absolutely must have at least one degree from a US uni...

Hello! I remember you asking about the LSE compared to US unis. You might have seen us, sure, didnt really see you tho. I don't think you are brown jacket guy because he was at the back and not american afaik.
Yes there were very few people there and overall the short IR talk was not particularly impressive. I think Buzan was not the kind of personality they normally send out for open days. :smile: Then again I think he is a fairly prominent academic within IR, tho certainly not popularly known. I know hes quoted in Clash of Civilizations for instance.
That is certainly what Buzan said, tho I didnt here him say the last thing about being taken seriously in washington. From the little that I know, I would tend to agree, though of course its very debatable. There does seem to be a close connection between academics and government in US. I mean a lot seem to go back and forth between administrations and then think-tanks and uni departments. Just look at the neo-cons and stuff. I dont think there is anything really comparable in the UK. Then again, I was long ago brainwashed by Chomsky so...:biggrin: And I think you would need some imagination to see LSE as particularly revolutionary or free thinking.
Reply 137
sweetalkin88
to Sjb123 and Xanthe,

I remember you! You were the one who wasn't sure whether you wanted to go to Georgetown or the LSE! :biggrin:

I was the girl who got up after the talk finished to go and speak to Barry Buzan (in the peach blouse). I spoke to him after you had finished speaking to him. Do you remember me? sjb123 posted a link to an article written by Chris Brown where he said Americans were the biggest nationality on the LSE IR course. Are you still indecisive about where you want to go? :frown:
Reply 138
Sjb123
what the two you were sandwiched between?:biggrin:

Yeah! :smile:

Sjb123
I didnt think brown jacket guy was that hot. Did you see the guy next to the girl I thought was you? He was better looking. (shouldnt be saying this...)
As for me, I think Im gonna hook up with these other posh boys.(no no no)

I thought he was pretty damn good-looking :biggrin:. The one you're referring to was okay I guess, nothing special. He was foreign, he got up to speak to Barry Buzan after the talk finished.

Actually I thought all the boys in the room were hoooooooooooooooooot. :love: (especially the ones I was sitting in between and the two in the front row! :biggrin:)
Reply 139
Georgetown vs LSE. Wow, that's one tough call. :/

Latest