The Student Room Group

What is the worst looking uni?

Scroll to see replies

thames valley uni...situated on a motorway near brentford, massive tower block. not the nicest.
Reply 401

King's College London is U-G-L-Y
Reply 402
I find it hard to believe that one or two people have actually said Glasgow - come on, it's beautiful! The library may be ugly, but the neo-gothic bit is huge :love: , and the quadrange :biggrin: Anyway, nice libraries are very rare - Edinburgh and even St Andrews have libraries just as bleak, though both have gorgeous architecture elsewhere. And Cambridge University library terrifies me; as someone said before, it's the totalitaran feeling of the building (the rest of Cambridge more than makes up for it though).

All of my five choices were ancient and imo beautiful universities, I do hope this doesn't make me shallow. As an art history student it should be acceptable to care about aesthetics . . .

Sorry, back to the question: from the pictures, maybe London met? The Iceland one was quite nice in places though.
Reply 403
Original post by TheSownRose
Doesn't it?

It doesn't. It looks adorable,a bit medieval and even magical.
Original post by RamocitoMorales
University of Sussex

I agree, that building is pretty fugly... but Sussex isn't all that bad:

For example, this isn't too bad:

And this building won some architecture award:

James4d
I'm at Sussex and our buildings are pretty horrible (again, 60's monstrosities). The fact we're in the countryside makes up for it though

Agreed. Location makes up for the concrete Jungle anyway :smile: And Sussex is definitely not the ugliest Uni in the world...
Reply 405
Original post by forrestgump19
I agree, that building is pretty fugly... but Sussex isn't all that bad:

For example, this isn't too bad:

And this building won some architecture award:

Agreed. Location makes up for the concrete Jungle anyway :smile: And Sussex is definitely not the ugliest Uni in the world...

The 2 pics you show aren't as bad as the one you quoted but still ugly. I went passed sussex uni after dropping my sister off in brighton it is in the countryside but isn't it just off the motorway?
Most Uni's have a mix of good and bad buildings. The worst ones though I think are the 1960s tower blocks like those at Man Met and Sheffield hallam.
Original post by kiss_me_now9
Whilst we have Hogwarts...

But equally has Rathbone, Garth, Wheldon, Lloyd, Deinol and various other 60s concrete monstrosities. Brigantia's pretty smart though! Our accommodation is pretty colours too :h:

Hopefully it's gonna look a lot nicer when they build the new theatre thing :smile: And thank god that SU building has been knocked down it was awful haha, miss Time though!
Reply 408
Why so much hatred for Aberdeen? I live in Aberdeen and it's really not THAT bad. Especially the pictures RamocitoMorales has posted. To be honest every university has its less attractive parts. Aberdeen has some lovely bits compared to some of the universities where the whole campus was built circa 1960. UEA springs to mind...
Original post by gm15
The 2 pics you show aren't as bad as the one you quoted but still ugly. I went passed sussex uni after dropping my sister off in brighton it is in the countryside but isn't it just off the motorway?

Yeah fair enough, not the best architecture, and it is pretty close to a motorway... but hey! It's got loads of rolling hills and is a stone's throw away from the seaside :smile:

...I think I may have a slight bias towards Sussex... :tongue:
Reply 410
Original post by becko37
Why so much hatred for Aberdeen? I live in Aberdeen and it's really not THAT bad. Especially the pictures RamocitoMorales has posted. To be honest every university has its less attractive parts. Aberdeen has some lovely bits compared to some of the universities where the whole campus was built circa 1960. UEA springs to mind...

Long story, but it's not Aberdeen's fault (I live there too), it's RamocitoMorales's :lol:
Nottingham University's Psychology building:
Reply 412
Original post by ellakrystina

Original post by ellakrystina
University Centre Peterborough (part of Anglia Ruskin):

That's literally the whole university. It's god awful.

ahh do you go to this place?! I went to the college briefly but left (I already had A Levels so took a gap year instead and going to university in September)
Original post by esimmons
ahh do you go to this place?! I went to the college briefly but left (I already had A Levels so took a gap year instead and going to university in September)

No, I don't go there. My mum, however, will be starting there in September.
I've just finished my two years at the college and will be going to Manchester.
Original post by LawBore
I go there and.... yeah. Yeah, it is.

Went there for an open day...lets just say it's not my firm or insurance anymore :closedeyes:
Original post by RamocitoMorales
What a hypocrite. :hahaha:

So you think employers look at league tables? :rofl2:

Original post by ilickbatteries
Nice architecture doesn't make up for being 44th in the league table and being in the arse end of nowhere.

Fortunately, employers don't often judge your degree on how pretty your university looks.

RamocitoMorales...........YOU GOT PARRRRED SON
UCL isn't the ugliest university by a long shot, in fact it's definitely one of the most aesthetically pleasing out there. Unfortunately it does have one abomination (although I think it's shared with other institutions/organisations):
I was going to say 'most new universities' until I realized that Greenwich is probably one of the best looking universities around. :redface:

Which is why I'll say Brunel instead:

Brutalism sucks.
The Roger Stevens Building at the University of Leeds is pretty fugly...

York is certainly a mixed bag.

Whilst central hall looks absolutely horrific...

Kings Manor in the snow...wow.

York is quite a pretty city too.

Quick Reply

Latest