The Student Room Group

Decent Straightening balm

Hey
I was wondering if you fellow TSR-ians could help me! I'm looking for a good (yet relatively cheap) straightening balm as I hate straightening my hair a lot as it ruins it!

I'm looking for something that u can put on damp hair and more or less leave it to dry without too much blowdrying/styling. Obviously I don't expect something to give me as good results as GHDs, but still something that will make my hair quite straight!

I've tried the L'oreal one (the one in the pink bottle that Beyonce advertises) but thats crap. I use Toni and Guy Curl Relaxing balm but that just tames my frizz and gives me natural waves (nevertheless great though)

Any suggestions?

Thanks xxx
Reply 1
stuff from boots... essentials straightening creme
its orange and its like £1-£2 u can put it on damp hair then blow dry it... i usually straighten it after tho because i like poker straight hair and im rubbish at blow drying lol
The Mark Hill range is really good. I'm not sure how much you're willing to spend but there is a really good straightening serum which is about £7/8. It leaves your hair so silky and smooth and you can use it on wet or dry hair. You only need 1-2 pumps of it at a time and it lasts for absolutely ages so is well worth the money. The packaging is really nice too if that's important to you! :smile:
Reply 3
i use sunsilk purple one it is ok it does the job!!
Dont know how expensive you want to go, but paul mitchell super skinny serum is quite good
Reply 5
ive tried teh orange Boots essentials straightening creme and it wasnt very good,it just kinda made my hair kinda less frizzy but still wavy
Don't use the Charles Worthington dream hair one - it makes your hair really greasy :frown:

I wasted £6 on it and I don't want you to do the same!
Reply 7
There's a good Trevor Sorbie one, it's a clear blam trype gel thing. It smells like sherbert if that helps at all?

If you hate straightening it, how about letting it be natural? If you use a good serum (I adore the Charles Worthington shine and frizzy serums) to define the waves / curls and to get rid of any frizzyness, you should be all right!

The other thing worth trying is a metal barrelled round brush. You dry your hair as normal, with the hair dryer following the brush down the hair shaft. As the barrell is metal, it heats up. This makes my hair a lot smoother and straighter and makes it dry in about half the time. You won't reach the same heat as you do with straighteners, so it shouldn't damage your hair too much.
A heat protection spray or leave in conditioner is all I ever need.
Reply 8
sexybrowneyes88
Hey
I was wondering if you fellow TSR-ians could help me! I'm looking for a good (yet relatively cheap) straightening balm as I hate straightening my hair a lot as it ruins it!

I'm looking for something that u can put on damp hair and more or less leave it to dry without too much blowdrying/styling. Obviously I don't expect something to give me as good results as GHDs, but still something that will make my hair quite straight!

I've tried the L'oreal one (the one in the pink bottle that Beyonce advertises) but thats crap. I use Toni and Guy Curl Relaxing balm but that just tames my frizz and gives me natural waves (nevertheless great though)

Any suggestions?

Thanks xxx

The Loreal one is meant to be used with heat, e.g. with a hairdryer or straighteners, so if you left your hair to dry naturally it may not have worked as well as you may have hoped. I tried a sample of it, and admittedly my hair is fairly straight and smooth to begin with, I thought it was quite good, and it gave me a similar level of smoothness as if I'd conditioned it.
'Erekt' by Fudge :biggrin:

You only need a little bit, and it really works. The TRESemme spray is great for protecting the hair against damage.

HTH :smile:
I use the extra extra straight hair straightener by Bed Head (scroll through, its tall and green). I do straighten my hair as well, but my hair is so incredibly frizzy and wavy that I have to. You can get some really good bargains on it on eBay.
Reply 11
I've used the Sunsilk purple one as well and it's quite good - definitely helps with reducing blow dry frizz as well as for use with straighteners. Makes my hair feel soft but it tends to get greasy quite quickly.

Best one I've used, slightly more expensive but not terrible, is Paul Mitchell Straight Works which makes my hair so easy and quick to straighten and doesn't seem to make it any greasier at all.

Latest