The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 1
in hulme hall we have a card and when you get your meal you hand in your card to the people giving the food out, they put it back out on a notice board by the door, where you can pick it up next day.

meals at my place are at certain times aswell, no turning up (really) late or early as you won't get anything

hope that helps
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Qui Audet Vincit
in hulme hall we have a card and when you get your meal you hand in your card to the people giving the food out, they put it back out on a notice board by the door, where you can pick it up next day.

meals at my place are at certain times aswell, no turning up (really) late or early as you won't get anything

hope that helps

thanks it does i appreciate it!
Reply 3
also does anyone know how to read the "room number" i'm in OP but not the tower and its has L#.#.# can anyone tell me what that means? is it like building.floor.room?
thanks!
Reply 4
building.floor.room probably
Reply 5
Are you sure you want to go to Owen's Park?

It's pretty far from the campus. Besides, I heard the food isn't that nice.

My recommendation for catered halls --> Hulmes
Reply 6
Ericz
Are you sure you want to go to Owen's Park?

It's pretty far from the campus. Besides, I heard the food isn't that nice.

My recommendation for catered halls --> Hulmes

yeah thanks, but unfortuantely i have to take what i can get b/c i'm an exchange student and that was what was available, after 2 years of previding for myself and cooking in college so far i'm not much of a catered hall person even, thats why i have no clue about it. but thanks for the help.
Reply 7
it wont be too bad, the food is meant to be not the best, but sainsbury's is only 5 minutes away if you cant handle it. i couldnt handle the thought of catered halls, i thought back to being force fed school dinners and crying at school because of the torture, and decided against it. and though not the nicest, OP is one of the most sociable/fun halls.
Reply 8
princessa
it wont be too bad, the food is meant to be not the best, but sainsbury's is only 5 minutes away if you cant handle it. i couldnt handle the thought of catered halls, i thought back to being force fed school dinners and crying at school because of the torture, and decided against it. and though not the nicest, OP is one of the most sociable/fun halls.

thanks so much! :smile: yeha i'm lookign so foreward to manchester in general that i doubt i'll mind ( at least for a bit hehe :wink: ) i hope its sociable its hard ogiong places where you don't know anyone but i look forward to such a lovely city.
Reply 9
OP looks good, especially if you arent in the tower.
What?!?!? OP is all about the tower!
Reply 11
huh? Im staring at it now... its ... its THE TOWER..
Reply 12
The Tower's absolutely imfamous. Good place to go if you like being woken up in the early hours by fire alarms.

As for catered halls, I'm in Fallowfield campus (Ashburne Hall), and we have a book of "meal vouchers" (look like raffle tickets), which are each valid for one meal. You take that meal's voucher with you to the dining hall, and hand it in when you collect your food. I assume Owen's Park runs on the same system - the admistrative stuff seems to be fairly uniform over all the halls.
Reply 13
that sounds like a laugh! can u request to be in the tower? ive alredy sent my application off and OP is my first choice
Reply 14
In OP, you have a book of tickets aswell. It's all a bit fun really lol.
Reply 15
The whole Fallowfield Campus runs on the meal ticket system which encompasses Allen Hall (the best hall), Ashburne Hall, Owens Park and Woolton Hall (for catered halls).

You could always write a letter to the warden of Owens Park requesting that you are placed in tower.

Owens Park is a lot like the third class of the Titanic whereas somewhere like Ashburne is first class in the sense that, they were third class, they knew it, yet they had the best time out of anyone (before the iceberg).
Couple of things to remember with catered halls:

* You are bound by meal times, so if you have late lectures you run the risk of missing dinner. Also weekends... i never ate in halls on the weekend, because i was either busy or hungover.

* The food can be good some days, but mostly awful! Dont even try to keep healthy, breakfasts are fried unless you stick to cereal and toast! Salad generally appears once a week. Most popular veg = beans, which hardly count anyway.

* You can get away with not buying any lunch if you are economical and utilise any yogurts, fruit etc which is easy to hide and take back to your room for the next day. Just dont plan too far in advance and end up with tons of rotten fruit in your room.

* Make use of the condiments. Your neighbours can be kept sweet with a plentiful supply of jam and butter smuggled from the dining room. Use these as bargaining tools...

I stayed in Hulme last year. Worst mistake of my life. Nothing to do with the halls, just the people who lived there. One earful of my manc accent and i was looked at like an alien, which is surprising considering these toffs had moved to... MANCHESTER! Hope you have a better experience than me! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending