The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

City Centre vs. Fallowfield

I'm comin to Manchester for the year and am stoked!

I want to experience Manchester to its fullest. Fallowfield appeals for its social scene, however I'm worried if I live in Fallowfield I might not get to the city so often, or meet people who are more content to stay within Fallowfield than explore all of what Manchester has to offer.

So far its Grosvenor and Chandos vs. Allen and Woolton, any insight on these?

I've been in Uni for 2 years and realize its all what you make of it but I also know geography is highly influential.

Any responses greatly appreciated!:smile:
-------------------------------------------------
P.S. I'm also lookin to start/join a band as soon as the school year starts and get some good gigs goin. I'm a vocalist and play a bit of guitar. Influences: Oasis, U2, Stone Roses, Pulp, Radiohead, Verve, Beatles, Primal Scream, Chili Peppers, Smiths, Arctic Monkeys, and much more but lookin to do somethin fresh and EXCITING.

Hit me up whenever if you're interested!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
With those musical influences you will be at home in Manchester :smile: That is pretty much the biggest scene in Manchester (I am guessing that is why you choose it) since half them bands are manc.

Students in Fallowfield do go into the city centre a lot at night, there is buses very few seconds even at 3:00am so its easy to get back to. It really just depends on the students, I know some students in Fallowfield are lazy and never leave Fallowfield, even when it comes to lectures sadly :frown:.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
ur influences rule!!! I play guitar, have been for 4 years, and share the same influences, maybe not radiohead plus im into led zeppelin, sex pistols, jimmy hendrix as well. Ive also got some brilliant songs written (more than an albums worth)...and am willing to start a band in manchester, this september.

P.S I know ***** all about the city centre and fallowfield
Reply 3
The social scene in the city centre isn't exactly bad compared to Fallowfield. I suppose it's just less of a student vibe. However, any hall with a sizeable number of students (e.g. those you mentioned) is going to have quite a big social scene, and most of the major clubs have student nights or events.

Grosvenor to me, looks nicer (I walk past both regularly, and have been inside Grosvenor). Chandos is a bit of a monolithic block resembling council flats. There's a distinct possibility that you could end up on the 52622nd floor at Chandos, whereas at Grosvenor there are only 5 floors.
Reply 4
Thank you very much for your responses! They are greatly appreciated!

I've widdled it down to

1. Grosvenor Place
2. Woolton
3. Allen Hall
but i still maintain a soft spot for woolton and fallowfield for its student centeredness so i occasionally switch #1 and 2.

To people in Fallowfield: do you get out of the area much and explore manchester? How short of a meal period do catered halls give? Would it be a hassle jugglin that if I head to the city often?

Thanks!! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Allen and Woolton are both really nice - i have friends living in both of them and they seem really friendly and intimate.
Not sure how flexible the meal periods are - ring up the accomodation office and ask.
I loved living in fallowfield this year as it has a real student atmosphere which appealed to me. Having said that, people are perfectly happy living in the city centre too!
Reply 6
I went up to Manchester to have a look about - Fallowfield wasn't even that far from the city centre, just a short walk.

Also if you need a bassist...I have pretty much the same influences (Smiths esp!) :biggrin:
Reply 7
how long is the walk?
Reply 8
n3il
how long is the walk?

10/15mins to the main university bit, and then a little bit further into centre of town.
Reply 9
not bad....somehow i got told it was 30mins to uni
Reply 10
I am a fast walker and I reckon its 20 minutes. It would be 15 minutes but you spend 5-10 minutes just crossing roads.
Reply 11
i lived in the city and to be honest it makes little difference where u live - i had friends from both and everyone was really nice and fun! only difference is u can walk really easily everywhere from the city and cabs are cheaper (like 4 quid - so 80p each) back home at the end of a heavy night.
u dont really need to worry about the walk from uni to fallowfield as u will hardly do it - the bus is just as good and its too cold most of the time to walk in anyway!
Have fun
x
Reply 12
Thud
10/15mins to the main university bit, and then a little bit further into centre of town.

its a bit more than 10minutes mate...to main campus it will be about 20-25minute walk...
from fallow I walked the other day very slowly to the city centre in about 50mins.. so just get the bus.. i was on me way to the foofighters gig so did it for sh*ts n giggles really.. just use the bus...
the walk takes even longer if you are a little inebriated :rolleyes:
it was my walk of shame in 1st year lol

i lived in whitworth park for the last 2 years. spent most of my 1st year between mates in fallowfield and the city, most of 2nd year in the city! so it really doesn't make that much difference! only thing in the city, if you're along oxford road, the bars are pretty spread out, so more walking involved :s-smilie: but its the same buses that go thru fallowfield, and theyr really often, so tis easy to move about!

i'm just moving into fallowfield now, looks like it will be pretty cool, really close to loads of bars, big sainsburys a short walk away, and my house is quite big! woo! (tis a little bit scummy tho lol)
Reply 14
AT82
I am a fast walker and I reckon its 20 minutes. It would be 15 minutes but you spend 5-10 minutes just crossing roads.

are you sure mate?
the closest hall to the uni in fallowfield in allen hall. that place to the uni is like 1.5 miles.

thats still pretty far for me anyways :mad:
Reply 15
fallowfield, hands down
the average person walks at 3mph if i remember rightly, so 1.5 miles would be 30mins!
Reply 17
How much is the bus from fallowfield to uni/city?

*edit* oops just realised it last post was 2006.... i followed the sticky post so dont shun me
magic buses are 80p, finglands are 70p, or you can get a weekly ticket for a fiver for unlimited travel on a magic bus (think finglands costs the same).
Friendly_cow
magic buses are 80p, finglands are 70p, or you can get a weekly ticket for a fiver for unlimited travel on a magic bus (think finglands costs the same).

That's Brilliant!

The buses in York are extortionate! £3.50 for all day travel :frown:
Cheers for the info, I think you just made me choose Fallowfield over any other residential campus! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending