The Student Room Group

The Long Distance Relationship Society Advice Centre Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Maintaining a long-distance relationship can be challenging, but here are some tips that may be helpful:

Communication is key: Make time for regular check-ins, whether it's through video calls, texts, or phone calls. It's important to share your thoughts and feelings with your partner, as well as to listen to theirs.

Trust each other: Trust is essential in any relationship, but even more so in a long-distance one. Make sure to be honest and transparent with each other, and avoid behavior that might raise doubts or suspicion.

Make plans: Having something to look forward to can help keep the relationship strong. Whether it's a visit, a vacation, or a special event, planning ahead can help you both feel connected and excited about the future.

Stay positive: Long-distance relationships can be tough, but it's important to focus on the positive aspects of the relationship and the opportunities that distance can provide, such as personal growth and independence.

Be patient: Long-distance relationships require patience and understanding. There will be challenges and obstacles, but staying committed and working through them together can make the relationship stronger.

Remember, every relationship is unique, so find what works best for you and your partner. Stay committed and supportive of each other, and you can make your long-distance relationship work.
Do people prefer short distance over long distance? Like, if someone you are talking to is talking to someone short distance, is there even hope?
I've struggled with long distance. My boyfriend, at the time of joining uni, relocated down south. It put so much strain on our relationship, plus we were changing as people because of our influences at uni, and it just was never going to work
Original post by Tactical Nuclear Penguin
Hello and welcome to the LDR society advice centre, mark II!

500 pages and 10,000 posts have been reached in the original thread - that's a lot of people who have been given advice about their LDR (or a potential one). It's time to start afresh!

If you are in an LDR or will be in the future and want to talk about it, feel free to post here and we'll do our best to give you advice on any problems or issues that you want to discuss.

If you just feel like an un-LDR related chat, you can come to the LDR Society chat thread which is located here

Welcome once again and enjoy the thread - this is open to all :smile:

TNP

How do I support a LDR partner who is going through a deep depression and is also really busy?

This is my first LDR so I’m not sure how to navigate it, if he were in my city then I’d 100% be going over and making sure he was okay but I don’t have that option (and he’s totally withdrawn from his friends too).

[start]Basically, we’ve been together since September (speaking since July, but we met physically in September 🥺) and whilst it was amazing, we knew we’d have a rough go of it from late November through till the start of January because of how work and his family situation were going to line up. He also gets deep depressive episodes, though this is the first one that’s happened during our time together.[/start]

[start]Until late November, we were texting constantly and FaceTiming multiple times a week for HOURS and I knew it wasn’t sustainable, but we’re currently only texting two or 3 times a day and haven’t been able to FaceTime for 2 weeks (although that FaceTime did last 6 hours, whoops 💀).[/start]

[start]We’re meant to be FaceTiming on Monday (depending on whether he makes it home from work at a decent hour and what his sister’s mental health is like), but last night I brought up the fact we’ve not been communicating much and how we could go about solving it. He said he’s really thinking to try and find something that’ll work because at the moment he’s finding it hard to juggle everything. I know he’s doing his best and that he is prioritising me as best he can (in that he’s actually managing to talk to me every day, he doesn’t manage that with anyone else), but it’s hard and I don’t want to lose him because I know how rough a depressive episode is and I have a busy life too and I’d rather my partner didn’t leave me if I was pushing everything away in that moment.[/start]

[start]We want the same things, we get on amazingly well, we’ve both met each other’s friends and both groups were gushing over how much we clearly like each other and I know that we both have strong feelings for each other, I’m just not sure what the best way to navigate this speed bump is 😢[/start]
I guess I need somewhere to talk about things and ask questions, I’m in a not necessarily long distance relationship compared to some people on this thread but definitely a medium distance at least. It’s around a 3-4 hour journey to travel and see my boyfriend and I’m just worried about how we are going to make this work. We both have some similar hobbies such as gaming which we do together from time to time and we facetime all the time. But in September I’m starting University and potentially moving even further away from him! And during summer he works full time due to his field of work. I guess I’m just worrying and it’s potentially for nothing because he’s willing to travel for my birthday and i’m willing to do the same for him.
I think part of my worries come from the things i’ve seen of people saying it’s no good going into university when you’re in a relationship especially when it’s long distance! I think I just need some hope/encouragement.
Hi, I have been with my boyfriend for 3 years in April. We've both applied to unis and none of them are in the same place. They should all be easy enough to travel between but it will be difficult to make time since i want to do medicine and im guessing the course will be very full on. We dont get to see each other loads at the moment outside of school but obviously i see him 5 days a week in school so going from that to not getting to see him at all will be tough. I think we could manage a long distance relationship, we don't argue, are good at talking about stuff that bothers us (in and outside of our relationship), completely trust each other and we're very very happy together. Just wondering if anyones got any tips or has been in a similar situation because i really want to make this work. Thank you 🙂 x
Original post by Tactical Nuclear Penguin
Hello and welcome to the LDR society advice centre, mark II!

500 pages and 10,000 posts have been reached in the original thread - that's a lot of people who have been given advice about their LDR (or a potential one). It's time to start afresh!

If you are in an LDR or will be in the future and want to talk about it, feel free to post here and we'll do our best to give you advice on any problems or issues that you want to discuss.

If you just feel like an un-LDR related chat, you can come to the LDR Society chat thread which is located here

Welcome once again and enjoy the thread - this is open to all :smile:

TNP
I'm a bit scared to meet someone again as it's been so long since we've seen person to person. I'm afraid I would run out of things to talk about and say! Does anyone have any advice for people who struggle with holding conversations or starting one?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending