The Student Room Group

Advancing Physics - AS materials coursework help

Hi all,
I'm kind of stuck on what material to do for my materials presentation. It will consist of me producing and presenting a powerpoint presentation on a chosen material and goin indepth about the chosen material and its uses. I must elaborate on the mechanical, electrical and optical properties of the material.
Any help and suggestions will be much appreciated.

I have googled a lot for this, and already have begun researching some materials, such as polycarbonates...but I'm sure there's something more interesting and generally better to do this presentation on.

Oh and I have to be creative and physicsy...so choosing something like a ruby or diamond is out of the question.

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
hey, i did this last year and i know you want to do something creative and inovative and stuff but its difficult to get information on this. i did steel in the end, you can get loadsa info on it, i would send you mine to look at but ive deleted it!
Reply 2
Thanks dudette! (check your private messages, i have more to ask!)
Reply 3
I did it 2 years ago, i did glass, (bulletproof) i just went on about the internal struture etc and i got full marks
Reply 4
Glass eh?
Interesting, thanks!
I did it last year and did Carbon Fibre in tennis rackets. the key to remember is to include lots of physics (young modulus etc...) but relate it to your material and say how it makes the material better for its given application
Reply 6
Thanks everyone for your help and advice!
Reply 7
I did Nickel-Titanium last year, my application was glasses frames. Got 39/40 IIRC.

Brought in samples of how it works.

Let me know if you want any more info.
Reply 8
Cheers lapsaJ :smile:
Also, anyone know any websites/resources that were particularly helpful?
Reply 9
Yes, they're all in my bibliography :wink: I'll dig them out later tonight.
I did quartz... was great!! :biggrin:
Reply 11
Does Any One Will Give Physics & Math In Uk In Jan Plz Contact Me As I Need Help?
ahmed88
Does Any One Will Give Physics & Math In Uk In Jan Plz Contact Me As I Need Help?

i don't understand what you mean, ahmed88 :biggrin:
lapsaJ
I did Nickel-Titanium last year, my application was glasses frames. Got 39/40 IIRC.

Brought in samples of how it works.

Let me know if you want any more info.

hey, u doing A2? If so, do u know what youre doing for your practical?
Reply 14
skoolsux67
hey, u doing A2? If so, do u know what youre doing for your practical?

Not yet. I'm thinking of something along the lines of finding the airspeed over different shaped aerofoils.
I did about contact lenses (hard soft and rgp lenses) their materials, why they're like that, how they work, history of them, a bit about the eye. Got a top mark as well!
hey what material did you actaully use? was it silicone? becuase im finding it hard to find properties of it for the scientific physics part of the presentation. I need to include calculations etc can you help me?
lapsaJ
Not yet. I'm thinking of something along the lines of finding the airspeed over different shaped aerofoils.

ok cool. im doing bouncing balls.
Reply 18
hey everyone, could someone please name the materials they would think suitable and make it like a question, like for example:
Why is Gold worth so much?

or something like that, it would be great if you could, thx and bye
Here's a good one about Aluminium .

http://letmehelpyou.org/

Latest