The Student Room Group

Why STEM is objectively superior to non STEM degrees.

This forum has been quick to dismiss people who claim that STEM and non-STEM subjects are on the same level. Well let me break it to people who study non-STEM subjects; STEM is superior in every aspect.
Here's why:
- STEM grads earn way more money than non STEM grads(ST and LT)
- STEM students have better grades than non STEM students (on average)
- STEM grads have greater career prospects than non STEM grads
- STEM grads are more intelligent since their degrees need more thinking ability.
- In the future, STEM grads will be more in demand since computers and AI can easily replace the jobs of a non STEM grad.
- Careers such as high finance actually have a preference of STEM (and econ/finance) over other non STEM grads. Why? Because STEM grads have a more respectable degree.
- STEM grads can do the job a non STEM grad does (perhaps with a little bit of training)
- Many non STEM degrees such as languages can be done by STEM students so long as they choose the appropriate modules at uni.

Lets be honest, the people who say "STEM and non STEM degrees are equal!" are those who do non STEM degrees or A levels and are very insecure. This has now led to STEM students and non STEM students degrees look equal, which is an insult to STEM students. A maths grad and english grad are not equal, sorry.

(Economics/Finance are also basically STEM since they have a lot of maths in their degrees)
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
great bait
Original post by Kiniun
great bait

Am i wrong?
You made an account for this? Get a life.
Original post by STEMisSuperior.
This forum has been quick to dismiss people who claim that STEM and non-STEM subjects are on the same level. Well let me break it to people who study non-STEM subjects; STEM is superior in every aspect.
Here's why:
- STEM grads are more intelligent since their degrees need more thinking ability.
- In the future, STEM grads will be more in demand since computers and AI can easily replace the jobs of a non STEM grad.
- Careers such as high finance actually have a preference of STEM (and econ/finance) over other non STEM grads. Why? Because STEM grads have a more respectable degree.
- STEM grads can do the job a non STEM grad does (perhaps with a little bit of training)
- Many non STEM degrees such as languages can be done by STEM students so long as they choose the appropriate modules at uni.

Lets be honest, the people who say "STEM and non STEM degrees are equal!" are those who do non STEM degrees or A levels and are very insecure. This has now led to STEM students and non STEM students degrees look equal, which is an insult to STEM students. A maths grad and english grad are not equal, sorry.

(Economics/Finance are also basically STEM since they have a lot of maths in their degrees)

Who cares. People are not going to choose to sacrifice their whole life doing a something they have no desire to do. If you like Science and Maths etc, good for you, you may have a well paying. That's not enough but you wanna brag about it and put down others. That's not fun. Grow up.

PS: I study engineering so I'm not a butt hurt person complaining.
This stinks of troll. But giving you the benefit of doubt:

People have the freedom to choose how to live their own lives and it's absolutely none of your ****ing business to tell them how to live it by condescension.

Money, career prospects and material status are not the only things that motivate people.

Not everyone aspires to being corporate fodder. Now run along and enjoy your grey 9-5 corporate life.
Reply 6
Am i wrong?

tl;dr
Reply 7
Here's why:

1) Money isn't everything.
2) so? People are intelligent in different ways.
3)So? Some people want to do a very specific career.
4) Prove it.
5) I highly doubt that. A computer will never be able to do emotion work.
6) And if you don't want to go into a career like that?
7) Doubt it. A physicist couldn't work as a counsellor working with anorexic teenagers.
8) And a lot can't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ras' Al Ghul
Who cares. People are not going to choose to sacrifice their whole life doing a something they have no desire to do. If you like Science and Maths etc, good for you, you may have a well paying. That's not enough but you wanna brag about it and put down others. That's not fun. Grow up.

PS: I study engineering so I'm not a butt hurt person complaining.

Original post by uberteknik
This stinks of troll. But giving you the benefit of doubt:

People have the freedom to choose how to live their own lives and it's absolutely none of your ****ing business to tell them how to live it by condescension.

Money, career prospects and material status are not the only things that motivate people.

Not everyone aspires to being corporate fodder. Now run along and enjoy your grey 9-5 corporate life.

If you guys had read, i was saying it is objectively better. I mean, if you find non STEM better then fine but that wont mean STEM students are secretly looking down on you.
Here's why:

what do you study
Original post by hezzlington
what do you study

Will study Mathematics and Economics. At a level i do maths, F maths, Physics and Economics.
Will study Mathematics and Economics. At a level i do maths, F maths, Physics and Economics.

So, you're not even at university and you're banging on about subjects you have no experience of.
Thankfully the whole STEM superiority attitude does not exist in the real world, it's just on TSR. STEM students have got better things to focus on ... like who the **** stole my reagents from the lab?
Reply 13

Uni?
Here's why:

STEM students are undoubtedly the most insecure people, they have to make accounts simply to put forward their agenda for example. :smile:

"Which is an insult to STEM students" -- oh boo hoo, do you want a blankey, and will me reading out the digits of pi make you feel better? :biggrin:

"STEM grads are more intelligent since their degrees need more thinking ability." -- Right because a degree in Mandarin needs no thinking skill whatsoever? Of course not.

Stop trying to make yourself feel more powerful. We'll all have the same size gravestones.
Original post by george_c00per
STEM students are undoubtedly the most insecure people, they have to make accounts simply to put forward their agenda for example. :smile:

"Which is an insult to STEM students" -- oh boo hoo, do you want a blankey, and will me reading out the digits of pi make you feel better? :biggrin:

"STEM grads are more intelligent since their degrees need more thinking ability." -- Right because a degree in Mandarin needs no thinking skill whatsoever? Of course not.

Stop trying to make yourself feel more powerful. We'll all have the same size gravestones.

Another equally ridiculous generalisation.

No we won't have the same size gravestones.
Original post by Buses
Uni?

one of the best ones
Reply 17
what do you study

They probably don't study Sociology
Another equally ridiculous generalisation.

Lmao I was only referring to the person who started this forum, I am fully aware that there are STEM students who are appreciative of non-STEM subjects
Original post by george_c00per

As i said, ive attempted to quantify it all to come to what is a reasonable and solid conclusion. Mocking STEM subjects just makes you look butthurt.

Quick Reply

Latest