The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd like to be thge first to congratulate Iain on this his first Physio blog.....

If you half as good as Jackie has been, then I'm sure it will be a resounding success.

Well done..!
Reply 2
Oh gawd - all that to live up to!! :wink:

Right - well the course starts on Monday, so a bit about me first.

I'm 44, and got my original degree waaaa-a-a-ay back in 1987 in Computer Science. I then worked in that industry for seven years before switching to teaching it, and have been doing that ever since. Then - after getting interested in running and after that sports injuries, I did a massage course back in about 2002, became ven more fascinated with the human body and how it works, and flirted with medicine a few years back including visiting George's for an open day.

While absolutely fascinating, the original draw of musculo-skeletal stuff I'd got interested in via running pulled me back to physio, so I first applied January 2006 in a mad last minute rush - got rejected by five of my six choices, but got an interview at George's. I really hadn't prepped properly and had not observed any physio (other than it being done to me) and while I think I madde a reasonable fist of the interview on what I knew, with no biology A level lined up (I kidded myself I would study for it in my spare time and take it in the summer - yeah right!) I got a rejection. I still have the letter from Lynda Carter! That reminds me - I promised to burn it when I got accepted!!

Anyway - March 2006 I decided to jack in my job, study properly, and do training for an Ironman triathlon as well. I enrolled for a biology A level at my local FE college, trained like mad, got injured, and then took on three days work teaching a week from January. It was great to be back studying again. During the autumn of 2006 I did various observations with physio departments across south London .

January - I was interviewed, I got accepted (woot!) and then had to get a B (although I did A levels back in 1981 they were in maths, further maths and physics, so I was sitting biology as a one year course). I got offers of B from all my choices, and it was a tough decision between King's and George's for top spot, but I found George's friendlier and the students who took us round on the open day said that they'd heard King's was a bit academic. I've nothing against academic stuff, but I think of physio as a "hands on" type of thing and also it's nearer to me than King's.

So - to get that B! I studied like a nutter, and although I'd aced module one for bio in January, I'd stuffed up module 4 and in spite of thinking I'd done well I ended up with 70 (re-marked to 72). This worried me as I'd obviously misjudged it badly and after going through my paper with my teacher I realised just how picky the board could be over wording. Having been a teacher, I figured I'd get this right straight away. Anyway - it left me in doubt for the summer!

Summer came - I felt I did well in module 2, and had stuffed up module 3, but done well in the others. I figured a B was pretty much okay, but I wanted an A - which I eventually got. In spite of this - I was nervous as hell going on UCAS to check whether I'd been accepted, and was dead pleased to get the confirmation. Then into college to get my grade, and much relief to see the A, even though I didn't need it.

So - a rather lazy summer, and in two days time it's off to George's to get drunk during Freshers' week....erm - start my academic career as a physio. I'm as excited as an excited thing!!

Reflections So Far

Don't give up because everyone you talk to thinks you're nuts! Sure - figure out details like how you're going to pay for the course and so on, but if you have something you really want to do - don't give up. It took me a while to get to the stage where I "took the leap of faith", but having done it I have to say it feels great

Be persistent - The first couple of places I made contact with for time as an observer said "no" or "not for a few months". Keep trying! I got about eight days in six or seven separate institutions in the end, but only because I rang about twenty! It's really important for the interview.

If you'e a mature student like me, think about what skills you can bring to the job of physio - many jobs will involve things like communication skills etc.

Right - enough pontificating from me for now! I'm very excited at the moment but also cacking myself - but hey - that's what makes life fun isn't it? I'm glad I decided to follow this crazy idea that came into my head several years ago now rather than settle for a mundane life doign what I was good at and had done for the last twelve years. :biggrin:
Reply 3
Thanks Diilan :biggrin:

Just a thought - I'm not sure how old you are but I get the impression you're a fair bit younger than me so I'd be very happy for you to chuck in how you're finding life sat George's as well on this thread :smile: Might be useful to others to have two perspectives anyway regardless of age?
Reply 4
Right - first day today - slightly nervous but more than anything really excited!

Had a mad day yesterday actually reading the new student pack and trying to make sure I had everything I needed! It's not all in a bright purple folder - I wonder how long such a highly organised state can last? :wink:

Good luck to anyone else starting at George's (or anywhere else for that matter) :biggrin:
Reply 5
Home from the first day - mainly form filling and admin stuff, plus chatting to everyone. A really mixed bunch - male and female, a wide variety of ages, and while I haven't talked to everyone yet a whole gamut of backgrounds as well.

Tonight is drinks and we get to meet our mum and dad - which seems rather weird, but I really like the sound of this "buddy " system as it'll be great to know someone who's been through it all already :smile:
Reply 6
iainmacn
Home from the first day - mainly form filling and admin stuff, plus chatting to everyone. A really mixed bunch - male and female, a wide variety of ages, and while I haven't talked to everyone yet a whole gamut of backgrounds as well.

Tonight is drinks and we get to meet our mum and dad - which seems rather weird, but I really like the sound of this "buddy " system as it'll be great to know someone who's been through it all already :smile:
the first week will be much of the same lol I lost count of the number of times I had to write my nme and address in the first week!
Reply 7
yay - well that was fun - met my "mum" who was absolutely sweet as pie as well as a load of friendly 2nd years. Having "done" uni before I have to say that there's a lot more inter-mingling between the years than I'm used to.

After a somewhat uninspiring day of form filling, the St George's experience is coming alive - what a great bunch of people :smile: Thanks to my mum Harriet!
Reply 8
Day two - not a busy day - in early for some jabs. Glad I got there a bit early as I think those that arrived at the official starting time ended up having to wait for quite a while.

A fair few of us were hungover from last night :wink:

Pictures tomorrow for my group (we've been split into three but the groups shuffle around I believe for various activities durign the year). This all seems really good - you get to work closely with a smaller number of people but gradually get to work with everyone. The course seems very well thought out from what I've seen so far.

Thursday I think we get onto some proper stuff like going down to the DR (dissecting room) and a tutor group activity. Plus there's a catch up science class. Not sure if I need it or not but it was advertised as "for those who aren't sure what a mole is" and that would be me. I do vaguely remember it from chemistry O level back in 1979(!!) but I think I could do with a reminder!
Reply 9
Day three - and spent about two minutes getting my photo taken! Glad I didn't have a 90 minute journey in like some people.

Then off to student services to get a letter saying that I was a student so that I could get exemption from council tax.

Coffee, with Jennie from my course who I knew vaguely through a running forum, then off to join the gym. I want to make the most of uni life and try rowing, as well as getting back into volleyball which I used to play fairly seriously a few years back. Plus I saw a poster for a Wu Shu Kwan Kung Fu club nearby which also looks good.

S'pose I'd better do some study this year too! There's apparently a catch up chemistry class at 4:30 and since I didn't do chemistry at A level I think I could do with that.

Fresher's Fortnight starts properly next week when the medics arrive - should be fun :biggrin:
Reply 10
iainmacn
Day two - not a busy day - in early for some jabs. Glad I got there a bit early as I think those that arrived at the official starting time ended up having to wait for quite a while.

A fair few of us were hungover from last night :wink:

Pictures tomorrow for my group (we've been split into three but the groups shuffle around I believe for various activities durign the year). This all seems really good - you get to work closely with a smaller number of people but gradually get to work with everyone. The course seems very well thought out from what I've seen so far.

Thursday I think we get onto some proper stuff like going down to the DR (dissecting room) and a tutor group activity. Plus there's a catch up science class. Not sure if I need it or not but it was advertised as "for those who aren't sure what a mole is" and that would be me. I do vaguely remember it from chemistry O level back in 1979(!!) but I think I could do with a reminder!

Haha! When I first saw that question I thought, 'how silly, of course everyone knows what a mole is. It's a...erm...thingy. You know, mole.' So I guess I would be going to that science class too. :redface:
Good luck!
Reply 11
Busy day today - in at 9am to pick up my locker keys and get my skeleton, which took all of two minutes of the two hours allocated! Then off to the jab clinic to be told my jab hadn't reacted and I'd have to come back for a stronger one tomorrow. Then off for a coffee where I had a good old chat with some people I already met and some who I'd seen around but not spoken to. In some ways the free time is nice as it's a chance to chat.

Then onto what for me has been the highlight of the week so far. Some of the group had been out clubbing the previous night so the thought of seeing a dead body wasn't doing their stomachs any favours! I'd seen one before but not as close up as today. We had a great introductory talk from one fo the anatomists, who answered all our questions, and explained some of the rules that everyone had to adhere to. By the time we got towards the end, one of the other groups already had the covers off their cadaver (dead body) so we all turned and gasped!

Anyway - then it was time for our cadaver to be uncovered. Peter did it a piece at a time - first the stomach, then the pelvis and so on - each time explaining what organs were there and answering all the questions. It was all a bit gory at first but I think most of us got acclimatised fairly quickly and were donning gloves to have a feel of the various otrgans that had been cut so they could be taken out and examined.

Then the chest was revealed, and I thought I detected a silicon implant! Peter confirmed this, and said that the woman had had died of cancer and in spite of a mastectomy (the implant was part of reconstructive surgery) it had spread into her body and killed her. It was absolutely fascinating to see all the bones and muscles and how they joined together, and also to see all the quadriceps and so on as more than just a page in the anatomy text book where there's a sketch. Peter also moves the relevant parts to show us the ovaries.

Then we helped turn the cadaver over and looked at the back muscles and the backside - including layers of fat and the various gluteus muscles. Peter highlighted the sciatic nerve and again - it was fascinating to see this close up. It really was going to be an amazing resource for learning about the human body - many UK universities don't have a dissection room. I'm going to be down there on a regular basis. Finally we got our lab coats that we had to wear at all times (except for some bizarre reason for this introductory session!).

It was now lunchtime (someone had a sense of humour when timetabling this) and a lot of us bought chicken sarnies and things but were rather put off when someone suggested it looked a bit like the cadaver flesh. Undeterred I continued to eat! Apparently the smell of formaldehyde makes you hungry.

The afternoon session saw us meet up with out tutor who ran through some formalities and had a bit of a chat to get to know us. Then onto a sort of ice breaker type activity that was one of the better ones I'd been to - and actually brought out some themes about group learning and stuff while still being quite entertaining.

Anyway - that was the first "real" day where I actually felt that we got going on the course as opposed to just admin stuff. All in all thoroughly enjoyable!
Reply 12
iainmacn
Apparently the smell of formaldehyde makes you hungry.

so very true! I was always starving after going inot the DR (although, in my defence I was always the group that finished just before luinch so it could have been that lol!)

also, I meant to say - if you ever want to meet up and have a chat about how things are going, get some advice, cry on my shoulder :wink:, or whatever, just let me know. As long as I'm around I'm sure I can fit you into my busy schedule :wink:
Reply 13
That would be great Jackie - we haven't got the timetable for next week yet (some cock-up at the printer who's doing the handbooks) but if we can find a mutually suitable time it would be good. Not sure I've seen any 3rd years around - I've met a load of 2nd years but can't recall speaking to any 3rd year physios yet

I'll be in touch - would be good to meet up after chatting on here for the last year or so!
Reply 14
iainmacn
That would be great Jackie - we haven't got the timetable for next week yet (some cock-up at the printer who's doing the handbooks) but if we can find a mutually suitable time it would be good. Not sure I've seen any 3rd years around - I've met a load of 2nd years but can't recall speaking to any 3rd year physios yet

I'll be in touch - would be good to meet up after chatting on here for the last year or so!
the timetable is up on blackboard - are you not able to access it?
Reply 15
We've got a session tomorrow where we get to login I think - think I have the sheet of paper with the details in - never occured to me to try it though - doh!

Tip for new physios - don't tell non-medically inclined mates about your experience in the DR - I've had two of them terminate a conversation rather abruptly already!
Reply 16
iainmacn
We've got a session tomorrow where we get to login I think - think I have the sheet of paper with the details in - never occured to me to try it though - doh!

Tip for new physios - don't tell non-medically inclined mates about your experience in the DR - I've had two of them terminate a conversation rather abruptly already!
you've got a PM!
Reply 17
Today the medical students arrived. You could tell because there were suddenly a load more people around the corridors, and a lot of them looked lost. Some kind soul had put up signs for them directing them to the lecture theatre, which was more than we got last week. Some of the brightest young minds in the country and they need signs, whereas us physios managed without! A moral victory, I feel :wink:

The end of last week was spent doing more admin type stuff, can't remember exactly what now but it was good to get there today and see everyone again.

Most of today was more speeches and admin stuff - not at all bad, the acting Principal welcomed us, as did several other people, and we had speeches about welfare etc, some of which we'd basically heard before. No matter though. We could have waited until our alloted 1pm slot to pick up our handbooks for the IFP (Interprofessional Foundation Programme), but a lor of us mounted a raid on the medics' timetabled slot and got ours early, so no more waiting around.

The IFP handbook is a big thick folder, complete with timetable for all groups (eek - it's a major effort picking out what's relevant - once I get the handbook for the other module I'm going to knock up a purely physio timetable for both modules to simplify things). Some notes that looked very thorough though, although a fair bit of commonality with A level biology I think.

Then it was off to the Freshers' Fair, where a lot of societies vied for our attention. The tactic seemed to be to entice us in with sweets, and then pounce on us asking for contact details. All well and good, but the societies with the best sweets seemed to be the Sikh and Hindu societies, and I didn't reckon I could get away with being either. I wondered whether I could invoke the inevitable Student Union Equal Opportunities Policy to claim a free curly-wurly in spite of my lack of turban or similar but decided I wouldn't risk it.

Anyway - I put my name down for lots of stuff, running, volleyball, badminton, salsa, swimming and rowing. I had an arthroscopy a few weeks ago and I have to see the consultant Wednesday, so I hope he says I can start being active again or that was all a waste of time! I also got a bag from Sexpression - I was interested in what it was about and apparently it's givign sex education classes in schools (as a group - phew) so I took a bag even though I doubt I'll have time to fit it in.

Then it was over to Occy Health to have a look at my most recent Mantoux (sp?) that I had Friday - it hadn't come up, but they said that could be because I'd had the MMR last week - which made me wonder what the point of giving it was! Anyway - apparently I'm considered "Low risk" now, so I just need the remaining jabs in the Hep B series.

Tomorrow we do start the course proper - I think the medics are still being inducted, but we have two classes in the physio foundation (so that's PF and IFP - we might get confused!), so hopefully we'll get stuck into some serious stuff and not just introducing the people who'll be teaching it. I know it's a big thing from an educational point of view (my background's in teaching) but I think we're all champing at the bit to get started right now!

So - I now have a load of social stuff coming up - disco, family quiz etc plus sports stuff, and I have to fit in study and my old social life before I joined George's! I'm not going to be short of things to do the next three years!! :biggrin:
Reply 18
Today was fun - lots of introductions to lecturers and topics, with overviews galore, which was useful to see, but what particularly got me fired up was the CBL (Case Based Learning). I love the though of playing the detective, coming up with possible causes, and then eliminating some and verifying one as the likely root of the problem.

What's kind of a shame at the moment is that the second years aren't around. The first year has a lot of nice people in it and we all seem to be gelling really well, but it would be good to have more of a chance to get to know our mums and dads, only they're off on placement. I bumped into another second year (on placement at George's) in a lift and she said "ooh - you must be Harriet's son", which was kinda surprising, but then George's is an exceptionally friendly community.

The timetable for the next few weeks is manic - we're split into a whole plethora of groups for different things, and although the basic timetable - IFP and FPP looks simple, in reality there's dozens of groups in different rooms, and these may shift round every week. In short - it's impossible to put together a timetable that'll work for every week - as it just isn't that stable. I think I'm just going to spend ten minutes at the start of every week writing out the timetable for that week.

We have all the lecture notes in advance, and I have to say they do look good. A lot of it is A level stuff, but I suspect we cover everything at near light speed, so for those without A level biology, it'll be manic! I'm a tad worried about my lack of chemistry since 1979, but there are some extra curricular classes planned, and apparently lots of stuff on the VLE (Virtual Learnign Environment).

I think the "work hard, play hard" thing is an excellent slogan - I just hope I've got enough energy to play hard at the end of it all - today I left George's all ready for a nice nap :smile:
Reply 19
don't forget us 3rd years - we're all lovely :biggrin:

Latest