The Student Room Group

Warwick or LSE?

I'm struggling to decide between whether I should firm Warwick or LSE and any advice or help would be really appreciated!

The two offers I am deciding between for my firm are:
Warwick: Bsc Mathematics and Statistics A*A*A
LSE: Bsc Mathematics, Statistics and Business AAA

Warwick: Pros
- like the campus uni environment
- liked people I met at the offer-holder day
- degree is great and lecturers are really interesting
- degree has options to transfer to other combinations and take other subjects outside of the course
- strong reputation for maths

Warwick: Cons
- maths are warwick is a lot more intense and I might burn out/not be able to cope
- My concerns about Warwick are that the nightlife seems really dead
- my brother goes there

LSE: Pros
- course has business as well
- work opportunities in london
- London is a cool city
- like modules on course
- better internationally ranked

LSE: cons
- parents live in London
- I won't have a traditional maths degree
- too international
- cost of living is so high in london
- harder to make friends at a london uni/big cities are lonely
Original post by daisy45644
I'm struggling to decide between whether I should firm Warwick or LSE and any advice or help would be really appreciated!

The two offers I am deciding between for my firm are:
Warwick: Bsc Mathematics and Statistics A*A*A
LSE: Bsc Mathematics, Statistics and Business AAA

Warwick: Pros
- like the campus uni environment
- liked people I met at the offer-holder day
- degree is great and lecturers are really interesting
- degree has options to transfer to other combinations and take other subjects outside of the course
- strong reputation for maths

Warwick: Cons
- maths are warwick is a lot more intense and I might burn out/not be able to cope
- My concerns about Warwick are that the nightlife seems really dead
- my brother goes there

LSE: Pros
- course has business as well
- work opportunities in london
- London is a cool city
- like modules on course
- better internationally ranked

LSE: cons
- parents live in London
- I won't have a traditional maths degree
- too international
- cost of living is so high in london
- harder to make friends at a london uni/big cities are lonely

Hi there,

I am a third year Mathematics and Statistics student at Lancaster University. I thought I would explain what helped me make my choice and see if it could help you at all. Personally, I preferred a campus university because it felt more like a community and like I would make friends better there. Also, I found my course really interesting but at the same time it seemed realistic and not completely overwhelming.

For Warwick, have you tried asking your brother how intense the general place is (not really dependent on his course)? How stressed everyone is in the library during exam session can be a good example of the pressure there. In terms of nightlife, Lancaster is not the biggest city and while it does have a few very good clubs it won't be able to compete with cities like London. However, I found that it can still be just as good with the right people because house parties always exist and often having good friends can make any club quite fun. Plus Warwick isn't that far from Birmingham so there is always the option to go for the occasional night out there if you feel up to the travel.

For LSE, would you be living separately or with your parents? Having parents nearby can help a lot with homesickness and I always look forwards to mine visiting because they buy me food and who doesn't love free stuff. In terms of a 'traditional' maths degree I think it is important to consider what you actually want to do in the future (if you don't know that's okay, I didn't decide until end of 2nd year). For example, a lot of accounting graduate schemes care take in a variety of degrees. Next, the cost of living is high so you may need part time work and is this something you think you could manage or would it potentially cause your degree to suffer? Personally, I work around 10 hours a week and generally am fine but I do work a lot for the university who are very flexible. Finally, there will be lots of people who also feel lonely or worried about making friends regardless where you go so don't worry too much about that because there are plenty of ways to meet people.

Please feel free to ask me any questions you have.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 2
thanks so much for your reply Amy! It gave me a lot of things to consider. In the end, I have decided to firm Warwick and insure LSE.

Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi there,

I am a third year Mathematics and Statistics student at Lancaster University. I thought I would explain what helped me make my choice and see if it could help you at all. Personally, I preferred a campus university because it felt more like a community and like I would make friends better there. Also, I found my course really interesting but at the same time it seemed realistic and not completely overwhelming.

For Warwick, have you tried asking your brother how intense the general place is (not really dependent on his course)? How stressed everyone is in the library during exam session can be a good example of the pressure there. In terms of nightlife, Lancaster is not the biggest city and while it does have a few very good clubs it won't be able to compete with cities like London. However, I found that it can still be just as good with the right people because house parties always exist and often having good friends can make any club quite fun. Plus Warwick isn't that far from Birmingham so there is always the option to go for the occasional night out there if you feel up to the travel.

For LSE, would you be living separately or with your parents? Having parents nearby can help a lot with homesickness and I always look forwards to mine visiting because they buy me food and who doesn't love free stuff. In terms of a 'traditional' maths degree I think it is important to consider what you actually want to do in the future (if you don't know that's okay, I didn't decide until end of 2nd year). For example, a lot of accounting graduate schemes care take in a variety of degrees. Next, the cost of living is high so you may need part time work and is this something you think you could manage or would it potentially cause your degree to suffer? Personally, I work around 10 hours a week and generally am fine but I do work a lot for the university who are very flexible. Finally, there will be lots of people who also feel lonely or worried about making friends regardless where you go so don't worry too much about that because there are plenty of ways to meet people.

Please feel free to ask me any questions you have.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest