The Student Room Group

How can I find work experience as a private school student?

I've gone on many individual companies' websites and places like Speakers For Schools. However, all of them require you to be a state school student.

How did you guys find work experience?

I'm an international student so my parents don't have many contacts here.
Reply 1
perhaps ask your head of sixth form/careers director if they have any advice. usually, especially since you go to a private school, the parents at the school will have a diverse range of jobs that you'll probably be interested in and then one of the two people mentioned above will be able to contact them for you

for me, my close friends mum has offered to let me shadow her for a day at her office. there are also some schemes that allow you to take part in the work experience if you meet other criteria or you're on a bursary (best to check with individual companies and email in - the worst they can do is say no)

if you need mentoring, project access accepts a diverse range of people. its all about really digging deep and staying up to date (linkedin can help with that)

what do you want to go into?

also keep in mind that work experience isn't ESSENTIAL. yes it is useful but if youre applying to unis, they kinda wanna see more super curriculars and stuff that shows that you actually want to study the subject
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply.

I'm not sure if I want to do something related to Law or Biology which is why I want to go get some work experience to see if I like office work or lab work more.

If I can't get work experience, what do you think about MOOCs? Do universities like them more or less than getting work experience or shadowing?
Original post by imloki

I'm not sure if I want to do something related to Law or Biology which is why I want to go get some work experience to see if I like office work or lab work more.

If I can't get work experience, what do you think about MOOCs? Do universities like them more or less than getting work experience or shadowing?

Universities want to see that you're interested in your subject and prepared to put the work in. Both of these things (providing you don't 'have' to do the work experience for school eg) will show this. So whichever you can do is good.
I can't help on the law front, but your local unis may well have labs you could help out at? Ask your teachers if they know anyone who works there, or if you have any friends with parents/family who live locally :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by imloki

ah okay so for law, i know that pinsent masons have a work experience programme and its applications are currently open. you could also ask local law fims if you could shadow someone for the day (get your teachers to help you with this and ask if they have any connections

moocs are also great as are virtual work experience programmes (you can find them on this place called forage for law and business stuff)
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Thank you so much. Virtual work experiences are easier to find. It's okay if I only do the virtual work experience and moocs right? I know in-person is probably better but it's so hard to find. I will ask my teachers if they know anyone who would let me shadow them. I saw some in-person insight days though. Are those useful?
Reply 6
Original post by imloki
I saw some in-person insight days though. Are those useful?

Yes, insight days are very informative, as they're focused on the 'specific' company and its career paths and work with clients too. :wink:
Reply 7
Original post by thegeek888
Yes, insight days are very informative, as they're focused on the 'specific' company and its career paths and work with clients too. :wink:

do you know if you can still go to insight days even if you're at college/sixth form. i wanted to apply to some but they seemed aimed at uni students?
Reply 8
Original post by imloki
Thank you so much. Virtual work experiences are easier to find. It's okay if I only do the virtual work experience and moocs right? I know in-person is probably better but it's so hard to find. I will ask my teachers if they know anyone who would let me shadow them. I saw some in-person insight days though. Are those useful?

yeah you could also have look at mentoring schemes like beyond the blazer (this one is law based and quite new but i found it on linked in and it matches you up with a mentor thats studying law - i have a mentor from lse and shes absolutely amazing at answering all my questions) and project access (this is also really good from what ive heard and this can be good for any subject and they try match you up with someone who is doing the exact same course at the uni you want to go to).

ofc you probably dont need to mention this on your ps but they can provide you with additional support and guidance. the eligibility requirements are not as strict as other programmes either.

i do have some other stuff going for me when it comes to being 'disadvantaged' but because i go to a private school it kinda cancels out but some access schemes do recognise this so again, if you have other circumstances like me, you can always ask specific schemes if theyd still be willing to have a look at you application.
Reply 9
Original post by TazmeenX
do you know if you can still go to insight days even if you're at college/sixth form. i wanted to apply to some but they seemed aimed at uni students?

Yes, PwC, Deloitte, KPMG and EY, i.e., the Big 4 Accounting firms in the world, allow A-Level students to attend their Insight days/week. :smile:
Reply 10
yeah you could also have look at mentoring schemes like beyond the blazer (this one is law based and quite new but i found it on linked in and it matches you up with a mentor thats studying law - i have a mentor from lse and shes absolutely amazing at answering all my questions) and project access (this is also really good from what ive heard and this can be good for any subject and they try match you up with someone who is doing the exact same course at the uni you want to go to).

ofc you probably dont need to mention this on your ps but they can provide you with additional support and guidance. the eligibility requirements are not as strict as other programmes either.

i do have some other stuff going for me when it comes to being 'disadvantaged' but because i go to a private school it kinda cancels out but some access schemes do recognise this so again, if you have other circumstances like me, you can always ask specific schemes if theyd still be willing to have a look at you application.

Thank you so much. I'll check that out.

I was thinking maybe I could try emailing some small law firms to ask for shadowing or work experience? But do you think this is appropriate?
Reply 11
Original post by imloki
Thank you so much. I'll check that out.

I was thinking maybe I could try emailing some small law firms to ask for shadowing or work experience? But do you think this is appropriate?

yes its completely fine - the worst they can do is say no but if you ask for something little (just a day of shadowing) theyre more inclined to say yes (according my teacher haha)
Reply 12
yes its completely fine - the worst they can do is say no but if you ask for something little (just a day of shadowing) theyre more inclined to say yes (according my teacher haha)

Okay, thank you! Seems a bit scary, but I'll try to do that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending