The Student Room Group

How to deal with being painted as the villain of their story?

In most if not all breakups, the exes always put the other ex as the villain. The exes friends and family will obviously have a biased side, even though they could be wrong. It just seem so unfair how your name is dragged to the mud.
Reply 1
No not always, depends if the ex has behaved badly or not, then that's valid
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
No not always, depends if the ex has behaved badly or not, then that's valid

But I hear it all the time from friends who’s been through a breakup, “my ex was toxic, controlling, manipulative, done this, done that, etc,” the other friend would say “oh you dodge a bullet, glad youre out, etc.” I tend to be neutral because most of the time I’m only hearing one side of the story. Unless there was betrayal or cheating on one side, I believe both are equally responsible for the breakdown of the relationship and there’s no need to paint someone as the villain.
Reply 3
But I hear it all the time from friends who’s been through a breakup, “my ex was toxic, controlling, manipulative, done this, done that, etc,” the other friend would say “oh you dodge a bullet, glad youre out, etc.” I tend to be neutral because most of the time I’m only hearing one side of the story. Unless there was betrayal or cheating on one side, I believe both are equally responsible for the breakdown of the relationship and there’s no need to paint someone as the villain.

Yeah I mean like you say, only the person/people in the relationship know what went on - so anyone outside of that shouldn’t really get involved.

And I disagree that it’s always both parties responsible for a relationship breakdown. It can be both but unfortunately it usually is when one person isn’t fully committed or for a reason such as cheating or other things etc. For a relationship to be functional both people need to commit the same.
Reply 4
Yeah I mean like you say, only the person/people in the relationship know what went on - so anyone outside of that shouldn’t really get involved.

And I disagree that it’s always both parties responsible for a relationship breakdown. It can be both but unfortunately it usually is when one person isn’t fully committed or for a reason such as cheating or other things etc. For a relationship to be functional both people need to commit the same.

In my opinion, most of the time, it is never entirely one person who is fully responsible for the relationship breakdown. One person tend to blame the other person completely and fails to take any responsibility or recognize their own faults that may have also contributed to the breakup. It takes a great deal of maturity to just admit the relationship didn’t work out without having to label one person as toxic, manipulative, and all sorts and paint them as the villain.
Reply 5
My ex best friend believed i was in an abusive/toxic relationship and reminded me constantly why he was a bad boyfriend. She ignored everything i said about my own relationship and continued to say how manipulative he was to me. She also said about this to my old friend group behind my back and they all slowly turned against my boyfriend too. She put me in a situation where i had to choose between my friends and my boyfriend and i chose my boyfriend because he means the world to me and i believe we are in a good relationship, sure we have our downs but that happens in every single relationship, we move through it and mature. I genuinely love him so much but we've lost our entire friend group because not one person bothered to ask my view on it all. People who i have been friends with for YEARS threw away our entire friendship and mindlessly followed the voice of one person. While it wasn't me that they all hated, none of them talk to me anymore, not even a general message asking how i'm doing or anything so either my ex best friend who led this told them all not to talk to me and they're all sheep or none of them truly cared for me in the first place and both of those reasons are just heart breaking. Every time i see them around out college i'm just filled with rage.

I'm done feeling sad about it all now since this started a few months ago i just wanted somewhere to put this out to
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #1
In most if not all breakups, the exes always put the other ex as the villain. The exes friends and family will obviously have a biased side, even though they could be wrong. It just seem so unfair how your name is dragged to the mud.

Embrace the villain-ness.😈
No but seriously, I would try to be less concerned with seeing yourself through their eyes. I know it’s easier said than done but they’re irrelevant now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending