The Student Room Group

AS/A Level Chemistry Study Group 2023/2024

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I am doing CIE chemistry which I am aware, not many people do here but hey Chemistry is the same in every board just the specs are different. I am in Y13! Honestly, it's so early into the syllabus I don't have a good grasp on what I'm confident/non confident in. What I do struggle with is questions that more logical. I am trying to hone my logic skills but idk how hahaha.
How do you guys study for Chemistry?
Reply 41
Original post by TypicalNerd
Hiya!

It’s brilliant to hear you’ve found ways to iron out your weak points. Keep up the brilliant work.

I am gonna recommend the sheet by chemrevise for the PAGs: https://chemrevise.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/practical-guide-ocr2.pdf

Make sure to add MaChemGuy and Mr Murray-Green chemistry tutorials (or whatever it’s called) to your repertoire of preferred resources.

https://www.youtube.com/@mrmurraygreen

Hey, I'm in year 13 doing OCR A chemistry, chemistry happens to be my weakest subject so do you know any good websites/channels that are really good for OCR A especially?
Reply 42
Original post by aneesa.y_
Hey, I'm in year 13 doing OCR A chemistry, chemistry happens to be my weakest subject so do you know any good websites/channels that are really good for OCR A especially?

I would start with MaChemGuy and Mr Murray-Green chemistry tutorials first as they are the best two resources for OCR (A) specifically.

Although they are not OCR (A) specific themselves, Davies A level chemistry, physics and maths tutor, chemguide and countless others have resources designed for/compatible with OCR (A).

If those are not satisfactory for learning the content or going over exam-style questions, it may just be better to post questions here on TSR and either myself or another volunteer (more likely now I’m a full time uni student) will walk you through said question.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 43
Welcome to the AS/A-Level Chemistry Study Group.

Use this thread to chat to other students taking chemistry as you prepare for your AS/A-level exams this summer.

Perhaps, start off by answering a few icebreaker questions:

Which exam board are you with?

Are you in Year 12 or Year 13?

What part(s) of the course are you most confident with?

What part(s) of the course are you struggling with?

Wishing you all the best with AS/A-Level chemistry!

1. edexcel international a levels (i live in hong kong)
2. year 12
3. not really confident with anything about chemistry to be honest
4. struggling a lot with mole calculations, inorganic and organic chemistry
Reply 44
I would start with MaChemGuy and Mr Murray-Green chemistry tutorials first as they are the best two resources for OCR (A) specifically.

Although they are not OCR (A) specific themselves, Davies A level chemistry, physics and maths tutor, chemguide and countless others have resources designed for/compatible with OCR (A).

If those are not satisfactory for learning the content or going over exam-style questions, it may just be better to post questions here on TSR and either myself or another volunteer (more likely now I’m a full time uni student) will walk you through said question.

Thank you so much, very kind of you too!
Reply 45
Hi, My name is Joshua
I'm in year 12 and I study Chemistry, Maths, Physics and Music (Probably drop music at some point in the year)
I don't really know what my strengths and weakness area since most of the content so far has only been GCSE stuff with a bit of new content.
I want to study Chemistry at Uni (I'm interested in Oxford and Imperial but am open to other unis)
I'm looking for supercurricular activities relating to Chemistry but I'm not really sure what I can. Any advice would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by JQ2neeky
Hi, My name is Joshua
I'm in year 12 and I study Chemistry, Maths, Physics and Music (Probably drop music at some point in the year)
I don't really know what my strengths and weakness area since most of the content so far has only been GCSE stuff with a bit of new content.
I want to study Chemistry at Uni (I'm interested in Oxford and Imperial but am open to other unis)
I'm looking for supercurricular activities relating to Chemistry but I'm not really sure what I can. Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

Hiya!

I’m currently studying chemistry at Oxford University, so if you had any questions relating to the course I’d be more than happy to answer any questions you have.

I would start by suggesting getting yourself signed up to the C3L6 and next year’s RSC chemistry Olympiad (talk to your chemistry teacher about being signed up to these - but bear in mind these aren’t essential, but may be nice to bring up on your application).

It’s also worth picking one or two chemistry books to read and discuss in your application. I would recommend “Chemistry^3: introducing inorganic, organic and physical chemistry” by Burrows et al and identifying one or two especially interesting chapters to write about (you don’t need to read the whole book, but make sure you specifically state you’ve only read parts of it in your application).

Considering the replacement for a personal statement you’ll need to fill in is not a listing exercise, there is no benefit in doing absolutely hundreds of supercurriculars, so a handful of supercurriculars you can write about in detail will be sufficient. You also won’t need to worry about getting work/lab experience or similar as chemistry is a purely academic degree and these opportunities are seldom available and are thus not expected of you.

Use this thread to chat to other students taking chemistry as you prepare for your AS/A-level exams this summer.

Zimbabwe school examination council
Hi! I am Eunice, currently in Year 13.
Chemistry is my best subject and I love it. I am doing AQA chemistry and I'm quite confident with organic chemistry, though sometimes the mechanisms and conditions can be a bit daunting.
I don't particularly like physical chemistry, but I won't say I'm bad at it though.
I find it really useful to teach others the topic (it only works if they do Chemistry themselves because otherwise they won't have a single idea what you are saying...), and if they understand, then you're good to go.
Reply 49
Hey Im a Year 13 student doing Ocr and im currently on a D+ predicted a C but i wanna be predicted a B, Im doing alright with organic chemistry but the inorganic chemsitry is holding me back alot, mainly the equations( appart from Arrhenius somehow) anyone got any tips on how to improve at it ?
Reply 50
Original post by Kyle.Y
Hey Im a Year 13 student doing Ocr and im currently on a D+ predicted a C but i wanna be predicted a B, Im doing alright with organic chemistry but the inorganic chemsitry is holding me back alot, mainly the equations( appart from Arrhenius somehow) anyone got any tips on how to improve at it ?

are you studying ocr a or ocr b?
Original post by Kyle.Y

if you do math you shouldn't have a problem , maybe do couple questions on them and the ones you don't understand drop them here I will be more than happy to help

HI bro basically im confused with a spec point in edexcel a level chem, in topic 2 in bonding and structure, im confused with spec point 19, but ill give u spec 18 to give context:18. understand the following anomalous properties of water resulting from hydrogen bonding:*
i its relatively high melting temperature and boiling temperature*
ii the density of ice compared to that of water
19. be able to predict the presence of hydrogen bonding in molecules analogous to those mentioned above
THAKNS for ur help in advance xx
Reply 53
Original post by hibyehereforasec
HI bro basically im confused with a spec point in edexcel a level chem, in topic 2 in bonding and structure, im confused with spec point 19, but ill give u spec 18 to give context:18. understand the following anomalous properties of water resulting from hydrogen bonding:*
19. be able to predict the presence of hydrogen bonding in molecules analogous to those mentioned above

Hi,
I'm doing OCR but I've got a few points that are universally used in all exam boards:
-Hydrogen bonding is the attraction between an electron deficient H(dipole +) on one molecule and a lone pair of electrons on an F: O: or N: (must have a lone pair) on a different molecule.
-To have hydrogen bonding, an O-H, N-H or F-H bond must be present and a lone pair on a neighbouring molecule on the O or N must be available.
NOTE: Hydrogen bonding does not occur in all molecules that have hydrogen- the above O-H or N-H is essential.
A FEW EXTRA POINTERS: The type of molecule must be polar, e.g. NH3, H2O or HF. Hydrogen bonding is the strongest of all inter-molecular forces.
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by hibyehereforasec

Essentially what spec point 19 is asking you to be able to do is predict whether molecules could possibly form hydrogen bonds with other identical molecules.

If a molecule contains either an O-H, N-H or F-H bond, it will be able to form hydrogen bonds with other molecules of the same kind.
Reply 55
Original post by s_mxh23
Hi,
I'm doing OCR but I've got a few points that are universally used in all exam boards:
-Hydrogen bonding is the attraction between an electron deficient H(dipole +) on one molecule and a lone pair of electrons on an F: O: or N: (must have a lone pair) on a different molecule.
-To have hydrogen bonding, an O-H, N-H or F-H bond must be present and a lone pair on a neighbouring molecule on the O or N must be available.
NOTE: Hydrogen bonding does not occur in all molecules that have hydrogen- the above O-H or N-H is essential.
A FEW EXTRA POINTERS: The type of molecule must be polar, e.g. NH3, H2O or HF. Hydrogen bonding is the strongest of all inter-molecular forces.

This is a perfect explanation. Nicely done.
Essentially what spec point 19 is asking you to be able to do is predict whether molecules could possibly form hydrogen bonds with other identical molecules.

If a molecule contains either an O-H, N-H or F-H bond, it will be able to form hydrogen bonds with other molecules of the same kind.

aaah ok i understand thanks i wish the spec could just say stuff simply </3 thankss

Hi I am Catie I am doing AQA and in year 13. I really like Organic Chemistry and most parts of physical chemistry. I am really struggling with Transition metals, rate equations and exam technique.
Original post by s_mxh23
Hi,

aah sorry just saw this now yes thank youu
I got two spec points here from ededexcel in bonding and structure and i kinda get them but can i get help on exactly what they mean??
26. be able to predict the type of structure and bonding present in a substance from numerical data and/or other information*
27. be able to predict the physical properties of a substance, including melting and boiling temperature, electrical conductivity and solubility in water, in terms of:*
i the types of particle present (atoms, molecules, ions, electrons)*
ii the structure of the substance*
iii the type of bonding and the presence of intermolecular forces, where relevant

Quick Reply

Latest