The Student Room Group

AS/A Level Chemistry Study Group 2023/2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TypicalNerd
Welcome to the AS/A-Level Chemistry Study Group.

Use this thread to chat to other students taking chemistry as you prepare for your AS/A-level exams this summer.

Perhaps, start off by answering a few icebreaker questions:

Which exam board are you with?

Are you in Year 12 or Year 13?

What part(s) of the course are you most confident with?

What part(s) of the course are you struggling with?

Wishing you all the best with AS/A-Level chemistry!

hiya,
-AQA examboard
-year 12
-I am most confident of... actually I am not sure because in both organic and mechanic chemistry test I did bad
-I am struggling with mechanic I guess ? to be honest I think theory question can just revise by doing as much of pastpaper as possible but mechanic chemistry I don't know what to do with it
Hi, I'm Veer and I am currently in year 12. I do the Edexcel spec (not the international one). My favourite bit is Organic. I feel like on the whole, I'm not particularly struggling in any areas, but I feel like I could work on general precision, e.g with the curly arrows when drawing the electrophilic addition mechanism . I mostly use the textbook and save my exams.

Use this thread to chat to other students taking chemistry as you prepare for your AS/A-level exams this summer.

AQA chemistry
Year 13
Physical and partly inorganic
Organic
Reply 63

AQA

y13

atomic structure

energetics
Reply 64
Hi I am doing Biology chemistry and history a levels
I am aiming for minimum 3As in a levels
Does anyone have any tips to get As with revision and general school organisation tips please
Thank you

Hi i am a year 12 student studying Edexcel Chemistry. I have not gone in to the topics too much but really like topic 1 and despise topic 5 currently may change.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 66
Original post by 670351
Hi I am doing Biology chemistry and history a levels
I am aiming for minimum 3As in a levels
Does anyone have any tips to get As with revision and general school organisation tips please
Thank you

You could try looking here for starters: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7393061

I would recommend having a routine in which you make sure to get all your most draining tasks done first, take 15 minute breaks every 45 - 90 minutes and as the day progresses, choose progressively easier tasks to complete until you reach a dedicated time of the day when you stop studying for the day (I’d recommend stopping studying no sooner than 2 pm, but no later than 5 pm).

Original post by lilysilly_5454
Hi i am a year 12 student studying Edexcel Chemistry. I have not gone in to the topics too much but really like topic 1 and despise topic 5 currently may change.

I also did Edexcel chemistry back in the day.
If I’m remembering correctly, topic 1 is atomic structure and the periodic table and topic 5 is whatever the hell they called all the moles stuff.

My trick for the moles stuff was to include all the units in the calculations so I knew what I was doing and so I made sure to convert units where necessary. This meant I wouldn’t get ludicrous answers that were god knows how many orders of magnitude out and that it would be clear to an examiner where numbers used in the calculations came from and what they represented.
(edited 4 months ago)

Hi! I'm Noora.
Im doing Edexcel IALs.
I'm in Year 12, going to do Unit 1 of chemistry this January.
I think I can do almost all of Unit 1 but i keep make silly mistakes when doing questions. And im not that good with geometric isomers in organic chemistry.
Reply 68
Original post by Noora Mubarak
Hi! I'm Noora.
Im doing Edexcel IALs.
I'm in Year 12, going to do Unit 1 of chemistry this January.
I think I can do almost all of Unit 1 but i keep make silly mistakes when doing questions. And im not that good with geometric isomers in organic chemistry.

Hi, do you find the chemistry textbook useful or are you using some other resource to study, if you are what are those resources if you don't mind sharing
Reply to aira.a

Hi, i dont use the textbook as much but i do pastpapers more. Using the markscheme to get the exact answer. And i get notes from physicsanddmathstutor and chemrevise. I also watch youtube videos from freesciencelessons and theorganichemistrytutor.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 70

hi i'm theo

I'm edexcel and started Year12 in september. Currently finding everything easy to understand.
I'm taking the Olympiad this year, but the content is hard and am struggling with unit cells and organic synthesis + mechanisms
Reply 71
Original post by Tbop
hi i'm theo

I'm edexcel and started Year12 in september. Currently finding everything easy to understand.
I'm taking the Olympiad this year, but the content is hard and am struggling with unit cells and organic synthesis + mechanisms

That is genuinely amazing! I hope you do really well in the olympiad as it is bloody hard.

Whilst I would say feel free to PM me any time about Olympiad prep as I managed to get as far as round 2 in 2022, I am actually leaving TSR permanently on this upcoming Saturday. But until then, feel free to ask whatever questions you feel you need to.

Even at round 2, you’ll be pleased to know that mechanisms aren’t really a thing in the olympiad and you need to know the results of some post A-level reactions to finish off the synthetic pathway problems.

Edit: also, see last year’s olympiad thread if you want to see how to solve some problems: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7289472
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 72
That is genuinely amazing! I hope you do really well in the olympiad as it is bloody hard.

Whilst I would say feel free to PM me any time about Olympiad prep as I managed to get as far as round 2 in 2022, I am actually leaving TSR permanently on this upcoming Saturday. But until then, feel free to ask whatever questions you feel you need to.

Even at round 2, you’ll be pleased to know that mechanisms aren’t really a thing in the olympiad and you need to know the results of some post A-level reactions to finish off the synthetic pathway problems.

Edit: also, see last year’s olympiad thread if you want to see how to solve some problems: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7289472

Thankyou, that's really helpful
Sorry to hear you are leaving, but congrats on making it to round two, that is incredible. Hopefully next year i'll get through too. I have been struggling a bit with stereoisomerism and chirality. Though I did my first past paper from the Olympiad today and got 22 marks so hopefully I can learn more content in the next week and for next year!
Reply 73
Original post by Tbop
Thankyou, that's really helpful
Sorry to hear you are leaving, but congrats on making it to round two, that is incredible. Hopefully next year i'll get through too. I have been struggling a bit with stereoisomerism and chirality. Though I did my first past paper from the Olympiad today and got 22 marks so hopefully I can learn more content in the next week and for next year!

22 marks isn’t a bad score at all - especially in year 12. Realistically that should land you a silver award if you can keep that sort of attainment up. If you see an improvement (which I expect you will with plenty of practice and also given you’ve spotted which bits to work on), I reckon a gold won’t be out of reach.

I would suggest using molecular models or the website Molview to try visualising shapes of molecules (as a uni student, that is my go-to strategy with stereochemistry at the moment). There are also plenty of good A level resources on chirality such as videos by MaChemGuy that you can refer to in order to recap the basics.
Hi, is anyone here doing OCR B (salters) as their exam board? Feel like my class are the only ones in the country doing it haha.
Reply 75
Original post by kittenworshipper
Hi, is anyone here doing OCR B (salters) as their exam board? Feel like my class are the only ones in the country doing it haha.

Yes omg!! I don't think I've ever found anyone who does it!!
Reply 76
Original post by kittenworshipper

See here for what appears to be a decent, dedicated OCR B resource.

Just found another resource for OCR B.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQnv6Wu6LkBS7qC3icyDOyAGhO17SfnWn

It appears a lot of it was made for the previous spec, but given it has been updated in 2020, I imagine it is at least broadly relevant to the current specification
Original post by Jacintha
Yes omg!! I don't think I've ever found anyone who does it!!

Omg hii!! Which storyline is your fav? I'm personally a sucker for WM if i'm honest.
See here for what appears to be a decent, dedicated OCR B resource.

Cool, thank youu!!
Reply 79
Original post by reubenn05
hi, i'm reuben !!
doing aqa
just started year 13
confident with bonding and inorganic
struggling with some bits of organic - specifically optical isomerism and skeletal formulae

Hello! I am Rayaan I am selling A Level notes for Chemistry (all of AS and A2) and I am offering tuitions! I achieved an A* in A level. Let me know if you are interested! My Number is +97335005566!!

Quick Reply

Latest