The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Support at Bath uni

How have people found it? Are they supportive and accepting?
Original post by Anonymous #1
How have people found it? Are they supportive and accepting?

Hi there,

I would say there are many ways in which Bath shows and offers its support, not just when you start but also throughout your university journey!

In your first year, moving into halls can be very daunting which is why we have a Reslife program “residence life”. ResLife ambassadors are students who have previously lived in halls, and will visit you and your flatmates during your first few weeks to see how you are settling in. I also received a mid-year call in my first year from an ambassador who checked in to see if I had any issues. You can find out more about this here: ResLife Support (bath.ac.uk). My advice would be to remember that everyone is in the same boat, and moving to a new place and new university can be overwhelming for many. If you show support and acceptance to others, then you will receive the same!

In terms of academic, every student is assigned a personal tutor ( a member of staff within your department who you will meet with regularly throughout the year) and a peer mentor (a student who is on the same course as you in a higher year who you can contact for revision help, advice on how to learn at university and anything else you want!). I found these points of contact particularly useful when settling into a new learning environment and everyone was very supportive.

The University itself and the Student Union also has many mental health and student support programmes which you can find out more about here: Student Support (bath.ac.uk). One thing I particularly enjoyed were the weekly dog walking sessions from Pets as Therapy. This was a great chance to destress, meet some dogs and meet lovely people on different course and different years. As well as this, there are many societies and groups within the student union which embrace many different cultures and beliefs which creates a supportive and accepting envrionment.

Hope this has helps and let me know if you have any questions!

Sharon (3rd year student)
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Support for what specifically?

Quick Reply

Latest