The Student Room Group

Accept LSE offer or reapply to Oxford

Hi everyone,
Just looking for some advice on a dilemma I'm facing.

For context, I have an offer from LSE for Psychological and Behavioural Science, this is a course I think I will enjoy. I was rejected from Oxford post-interview for EP. LSE and Oxford are my absolute dream unis, it's hard for me to imagine myself going anywhere else.

Almost as soon as I sent in my application for Psychology to UCAS, I started questioning my choice. Up until July last year, I was contemplating between doing English or Psychology, and I ended up choosing the latter. Although I think I would get a lot out of the PBS course at LSE, there is a part of me that is still thinking about English - I've loved writing since I was little and English has always been my favourite subject. I picked Psychology partly because I lost my confidence after GCSEs, achieving a 6 in English Lit after taking the exam with tonsillitis. Although, since then, I have been achieving consistent As and A*s, often scoring the highest in my class.

I also feel like English aligns more with my career goals, I would love to go into writing as a career but can't think of what I would like to do with a Psychology degree (I think the subject interests me more than the career outcomes).

So, the question is, should I take up the offer from LSE, and do a well-respected course that I know I will enjoy? Or, should I reapply to Oxford for English and risk not getting in and doing English at a university which I don't necessarily want to go to?

I would appreciate any ideas or advice. Thanks!
Are you sitting your exams this year? For the time being, I see no harm in firming LSE now and waiting until results day. This way you can prioritise achieving your grades and then go from there. If you have decided you don’t want to go to LSE, you can always decline your place after you have your results and reapply then.

Do you feel you’d be more unfulfilled if you were at somewhere like Bristol, Edinburgh, Durham or UCL doing English, or at LSE with your current offer? It’s certainly a gamble if you feel LSE or Oxford are the only two for you. Have you visited other top Unis that offer English?
Reply 2
Tough call.might be worth having a deep look into the course modules and options at LSE, they’ve a lot of flexibility.

Might be worth asking what you could request on a course change off the bat starting at LSE.. they may be able to swap you.

Call the admission office after you’ve done some research. An LSE offer is not to be sniffed at, and they may be happy to help on your course choice.
Reply 3
Original post by elsiegrp
Hi everyone,
For context, I have an offer from LSE for Psychological and Behavioural Science, this is a course I think I will enjoy. I was rejected from Oxford post-interview for EP. LSE and Oxford are my absolute dream unis, it's hard for me to imagine myself going anywhere else.
Almost as soon as I sent in my application for Psychology to UCAS, I started questioning my choice. Up until July last year, I was contemplating between doing English or Psychology, and I ended up choosing the latter. Although I think I would get a lot out of the PBS course at LSE, there is a part of me that is still thinking about English - I've loved writing since I was little and English has always been my favourite subject. I picked Psychology partly because I lost my confidence after GCSEs, achieving a 6 in English Lit after taking the exam with tonsillitis. Although, since then, I have been achieving consistent As and A*s, often scoring the highest in my class.
I also feel like English aligns more with my career goals, I would love to go into writing as a career but can't think of what I would like to do with a Psychology degree (I think the subject interests me more than the career outcomes).
So, the question is, should I take up the offer from LSE, and do a well-respected course that I know I will enjoy? Or, should I reapply to Oxford for English and risk not getting in and doing English at a university which I don't necessarily want to go to?

This is just my opinion and apart from agreeing with BenBithell I would think that a Psychology degree should probably still allow you to do some sort of masters if you want to become a writer and maybe even give you and interesting perspective to write deeper, more personal texts? Empathize with the characters and understand their situations/thoughts? Just saying hahahah
Hi everyone,
I would firm LSE!!! :biggrin: Because there were 16 applicants per place, so it's almost like winning the lottery?! :wink: lol

But you could always re-apply to Oxford, UCL, KCL, Durham, Bristol, Warwick, Manchester, Leeds, Exeter, York, Lancaster or even RHUL.
Hi everyone,

Stick with LSE. Oxford is great but if you go to LSE you still have a great uni on your CV for like 1 fifth of the work.

Oxford charm wears off quickly. And its not worth reapplying imo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending