The Student Room Group

I feel like crap

Long story short- I failed my exams

Results are in 4 weeks but I already know I failed I hardly answered the questions, and I revised so much. I just went blank in the exam room

I really feel like giving up on everything, I have no motivation for anything
Original post by Anonymous #1
Long story short- I failed my exams
Results are in 4 weeks but I already know I failed I hardly answered the questions, and I revised so much. I just went blank in the exam room
I really feel like giving up on everything, I have no motivation for anything

I understand how you feel, I went through the same thing. You dont know if you've failed yet, you may think that you have done awful but in actual fact you might have done better than you think, especially when you have put the work in. But i understand it can be disheartening when you have put the work in and revised so much but then you go blank in the exam. It happens to a lot of us, you're not alone.. even if you do fail you can resit and I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine next time. Have faith in yourself, you have got this far and if this is what is meant for you you will definitely get there no matter how many tries it takes. Good luck for your results, you've got this!
Reply 2
Original post by sarahjane2
I understand how you feel, I went through the same thing. You dont know if you've failed yet, you may think that you have done awful but in actual fact you might have done better than you think, especially when you have put the work in. But i understand it can be disheartening when you have put the work in and revised so much but then you go blank in the exam. It happens to a lot of us, you're not alone.. even if you do fail you can resit and I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine next time. Have faith in yourself, you have got this far and if this is what is meant for you you will definitely get there no matter how many tries it takes. Good luck for your results, you've got this!

Thank you so much for your reply, I've just been sitting and sobbing for the past hour, even though I have another exam tomorrow. Resits will happen in August and I know it's all I'll be thinking about for the summer.

Im first year in university and I hate the workload. It was such a jump from A levels, where I was getting straight A's. Now I barely pass. I feel like my self-worth is defined by my grades, and it has been my whole life growing up. I want to do other things too, like get back into the gym, but I've lost the motivation and I've just been depressed all of first year
Thank you so much for your reply, I've just been sitting and sobbing for the past hour, even though I have another exam tomorrow. Resits will happen in August and I know it's all I'll be thinking about for the summer.
Im first year in university and I hate the workload. It was such a jump from A levels, where I was getting straight A's. Now I barely pass. I feel like my self-worth is defined by my grades, and it has been my whole life growing up. I want to do other things too, like get back into the gym, but I've lost the motivation and I've just been depressed all of first year

Think about it like this.. The exam is done now and there's nothing you can change about it.. you have an exam tomorrow so let this be a motivation to put as much work as you can in for tomorrow's exam, you cant change the answers for the exam you have just completed but you can try your hardest to ace the next one.. and it's probably the nerves that makes you go blank so just try and stay calm before the exam, all you can do is revise and then try your best!
It's only the first year of university, you're still trying to find your feet, it's normal to feel this way when you come from A levels where an 70% is a first class but once you find your feet at university you'll be acing it. And you sound super smart i'm sure you'll have aced the exam. The good thing is you can resit it, it might not be something you're familiar with because you were doing so well at A levels but you have that chance it's not a complete fail. I understand the feeling of your grades defining your self worth, but don't put yourself down. You know you're smart and you can get good grades and you will do very well at university also! Think back at the good grades and achievements, let that make you feel better and please don't let this bring you down. This is your sign to get back to the gym and do the things that you want to do, things that will take your mind off it and make you happy. This is only your first year, you havent failed the year, you havent failed your course, I have full faith in you and so should you!!! If you can ace your A levels u can do ANYTHING! A levels are not for the weak.
Ask your tutors or peers for feedback or ways in which your grades can improve. Any help you need ask for it !!!

Can I ask what you study?
Reply 5
Can I ask what you study?

You don't know how much your reply means to me, it's made me come to terms with the fact that it's not the end of the world, or the end of my degree

I study Physiotherapy and today I had my first real OSCE exam. Im not sure if you are familiar with it but it's like a practical exam where you demonstrate clinical skills.

I didn't get to sit the practice one's because I was sick, so I felt I was thrown into the real one and my brain went blank the whole time

Again, thank you sm for taking the time to reply
Exactly it's not! I studied Optometry at university and I struggled in first year too, I failed a couple of exams because it was so different to what i was used to! But i resat those exams and passed. So even though at the time it felt like it was the end of the world it wasn't because thank God i had the chance to resit and improve. Once I found my feet and asked for the right help I improved massively in second and third year and i graduated and so will you! Also don't compare yourself to others, you're on your own journey and you will succeed.
And I had OSCEs too, So many !! OSCEs are tough especially when you didnt have a chance to sit the mocks. Mocks are sooo important for OSCEs because it helps to calm the nerves for the real thing as you already have an idea so dont be so hard on yourself because its not your fault that you were unwell and didnt get that chance. Also they are practical/clinical exams, which we're not used to from A Levels.. You'll get used to them the more you do and each time you will improve. If you do fail then imagine this as your mock! Hope you're ok. You're going to be absolutely fine, take this from someone who was in a very similar position not so long ago.
Reply 7
Exactly it's not! I studied Optometry at university and I struggled in first year too, I failed a couple of exams because it was so different to what i was used to! But i resat those exams and passed. So even though at the time it felt like it was the end of the world it wasn't because thank God i had the chance to resit and improve. Once I found my feet and asked for the right help I improved massively in second and third year and i graduated and so will you! Also don't compare yourself to others, you're on your own journey and you will succeed.
And I had OSCEs too, So many !! OSCEs are tough especially when you didnt have a chance to sit the mocks. Mocks are sooo important for OSCEs because it helps to calm the nerves for the real thing as you already have an idea so dont be so hard on yourself because its not your fault that you were unwell and didnt get that chance. Also they are practical/clinical exams, which we're not used to from A Levels.. You'll get used to them the more you do and each time you will improve. If you do fail then imagine this as your mock! Hope you're ok. You're going to be absolutely fine, take this from someone who was in a very similar position not so long ago.

Ooh wow similar position, and you had OSCEs too! I've come to terms with the fact I may need to resit. How did you avoid resits being the only thing on your mind through the summer? I feel like it'll constantly be on my mind if I have to do them

I was thinking back to this January when I thought I did pretty bad in an exam (not as bad as today) but I ended up getting 50% so I at least passed. Hopefully it'll be the case again this time
I just prepared as much as I could for the resits and stayed optimistic that I would pass and then just took my mind off it by keeping myself occupied- spending time with friends and family, gym etc and it helped that I worked during the summer so I wasn't always thinking about the exam until it came closer to the time.. So just keep yourself busy if you feel you will be constantly thinking about it
Yess I hope so too! Good luck!
Reply 9
I just prepared as much as I could for the resits and stayed optimistic that I would pass and then just took my mind off it by keeping myself occupied- spending time with friends and family, gym etc and it helped that I worked during the summer so I wasn't always thinking about the exam until it came closer to the time.. So just keep yourself busy if you feel you will be constantly thinking about it

Thank you again for your reply, todays OSCE went muchbetter so that’s good. At least I feel like I didn’t fail it, tho Idid forget a couple of things. I feel a bit more optimisticnow, and even if I need to resist one exam- it’s only oneand it won’t take away from my summer. Thank you foryour help along the way

Also quick question, if my university gives me the opportunity to retake the OSCE in the summer, I won't have redo the year right? It will just be that exam for that module
You can study an degree of your choice at The Open University.
Original post by Analyst89
You can study an degree of your choice at The Open University.

Thanks, but I think I'll opt to stay in degree and uni I'm in. Was just looking for general advice moving forward
Thank you again for your reply, todays OSCE went muchbetter so that’s good. At least I feel like I didn’t fail it, tho Idid forget a couple of things. I feel a bit more optimisticnow, and even if I need to resist one exam- it’s only oneand it won’t take away from my summer. Thank you foryour help along the way

Im so glad that it went well! Im sure you've done a lot better thank you think in both OSCEs. And exactly it'll only be one exam and and OSCE so won't be as much revision as a written one either.
And yes it'll only be the one OSCE that you'll have to redo for that module
its no worries man
its not as a bad a missing your offer to get from a level and being forced to take a gap year for example
youve got loads of time to work for your resit
so stay at it
whoever u are good luck
Original post by forced_dentist
its no worries man
its not as a bad a missing your offer to get from a level and being forced to take a gap year for example
youve got loads of time to work for your resit
so stay at it
whoever u are good luck

Thanks for your kind words :smile:) trying to power through it. I wanted to ask my uni if they even do osce resits in the summer (as I couldn’t find it on their website) but due to bank holidays they won’t get back to me until Tuesday. The 2nd year students say there are OSCE resits but they aren’t sure.

The problem is, if there ARENT then I need to submit a mitigated circumstance form by Monday (so I can be granted a resit which I’ll have to do whether I pass or fail) but I won’t know for sure the summer situation till Tuesday
Im so glad that it went well! Im sure you've done a lot better thank you think in both OSCEs. And exactly it'll only be one exam and and OSCE so won't be as much revision as a written one either.
And yes it'll only be the one OSCE that you'll have to redo for that module

If you fail multiple OSCEs, will they let you take all of them? One resit per fail?

Sry for all the questions, I can’t get through to my uni due to bank holidays 🥲
If you fail multiple OSCEs, will they let you take all of them? One resit per fail?
Sry for all the questions, I can’t get through to my uni due to bank holidays 🥲

No don't worry about it.. Yes they should do, at my university they did or if its a module if you pass the module overall we didn't have to retake any of the exams within that module
but every uni differs so it is best to check with your uni xx

Quick Reply

Latest