The Student Room Group

Question for the guys

Why do some guys deny they like a girl? is it because of what their friends or family might think? Peer-pressured?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Why do some guys deny they like a girl? is it because of what their friends or family might think? Peer-pressured?

To make it not look obvious and bait. We hide any shyness we have within.

Embarrassment? It goes for any gender - some individuals may avoid admitting their feelings through pure shyness.
Reply 3
Original post by jelllyfiiish
Embarrassment? It goes for any gender - some individuals may avoid admitting their feelings through pure shyness.

Is it really solely based on shyness?
Reply 4
Original post by Mohammed_2000
To make it not look obvious and bait. We hide any shyness we have within.

Why? so if you are with your mates and the girl you like approaches you to say she likes you too, will you deny your feeling towards her in front of your mates when clearly you like her?
Is it really solely based on shyness?

I can't speak for anyone, but from my experience - when someone asks me if I like this person (and I do), I'll always automatically say no because I'm too scared or rumours spreading and the other person to know.
Reply 6
Original post by jelllyfiiish
I can't speak for anyone, but from my experience - when someone asks me if I like this person (and I do), I'll always automatically say no because I'm too scared or rumours spreading and the other person to know.

so? what if you are with your mates and the girl you like approaches / texts you to say she likes you too, will you deny your feeling towards her in front of your mates when clearly you like her?
0Report
Reply 7
so? what if you are with your mates and the girl you like approaches / texts you to say she likes you too, will you deny your feeling towards her in front of your mates when clearly you like her?
0Report

would you say something mean to her even though you like her just to please ur mates?
Why? so if you are with your mates and the girl you like approaches you to say she likes you too, will you deny your feeling towards her in front of your mates when clearly you like her?

Yeah your mates will tease you.
Reply 9
Yeah your mates will tease you.

why??
The problem with asking these questions is that you don't know whether the people replying are 13 or 50.
Reply 11
It was seen as 'soft' when I was a teenager to admit stuff like this. Lads were not supposed to 'like' girls, there was an element of macho misogyny about it

If you did admit it, you'd be teased or picked on about it.

There's also the immaturity and embarrassment thing.

I don't know if any of that has changed much. I last taught in a school 3 years ago and it hadn't much changed then.
why??

Well “you ”or they in the most obvious and baitest way possible tell you like us… that’s when the teasing from our friends come in. When you knew it yourself keep it discrete as possible.
As @gjd800 in that second line says otherwise to follow up what I wrote…
Well “you ”or they in the most obvious and baitest way possible tell you like us… that’s when the teasing from our friends come in. When you knew it yourself keep it discrete as possible.

so as a a reaction, or does it give the excuse to be mean to the girl you like maybe telling her that you don't like her cause she's a 2 or a 3 just so your friends don't keep teasing you?
so as a a reaction, or does it give the excuse to be mean to the girl you like maybe telling her that you don't like her cause she's a 2 or a 3 just so your friends don't keep teasing you?

Didn’t quite understand what you meant
what I mean is just so your friends don't keep teasing you, guys say to their mates they don't like the girl, that she's not his type, or is a 2/3, even though you know you are gonna hurt her feelings by saying that when you don't really mean it cause you like her too.
what I mean is just so your friends don't keep teasing you, guys say to their mates they don't like the girl, that she's not his type, or is a 2/3, even though you know you are gonna hurt her feelings by saying that when you don't really mean it cause you like her too.

Well they deny it certainly especially if the girl present and technically you won’t depends on the individual really like once your mates are gone and let’s say there’s an approach between the guy and girl with no one around that’s a good sign.
Why would you even tell other people tbh? assuming we're talking about teens here by the context, your friends will either tease you a bit/lot, gossip or try to help which may be a disaster None of this is helpful to you and you have to take into account this isn't just a guy thing, the girls friends will pose the same risk of interfering.
I'm just saying this cause there was this guy I had a crush on at school and I texted him that I liked him and he rejected me saying he's not interested and blocked me. And I think I went a little overboard asking his friends if he liked someone at school cause I knew he liked me. One of his friends sent me a ss where he said he blocked me cause I was a latina and managed to be a 2. So then after a few months, he texted me again saying "I love you with my whole heart. I don't care what the boys say" but obviously this text he sent me was at 1am, didn't take it too important cos potentially he was drunk. What I'm trying to say is was this guy peer-pressured that he said all of that I was not attractive just to not get teased by his friends. Was it just shyness?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending