The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

Economics is very well respected obviously but at the end of the day, it will be what you get for your degree, what work experience you have and what genuine passion you have for that job that will determine how financially rewarding it is. Do a course that you will enjoy that you will enjoy and that you are likely to do well at - that's the first step to having a successful career.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
I'd imagine Economics, but the other two you mentioned would be as well. Not directly related to Finance, but I've heard LSE Law graduates tend to do well for themselves.
Reply 3
ninety_nine
but I've heard LSE Law graduates tend to do well for themselves.

That would be what I've heard also.
Reply 4
You can really study anything at LSE -- people studying anthropology often end up with the same banking jobs and the same starting salaries as people who studied economics or maths and econ. Ultimately it comes down to you as an individual and how you stack up against the hordes of other LSE students (and oxbridge students and imperial students) vying for high-paying city jobs. Certain degrees will land you an interview or sometimes many interviews, but no degree can actually get you the job.

Actually, some econ and finance students at LSE end up being very unsuccessful at landing top jobs partly because they *think* they study the best course at LSE, and so they enter the recruitment process with arrogance and a sense of entitlement. This never goes over well in interviews. As a result, many end up at less desirable firms compared to grads of qualitative subjects who displayed more humility.
^^ Well said nauru, it is foolish to assume that because you have a certain degree you are guaranteed a job. My Aunt recruits for the Lehman Brothers and has told me that people who come in to an interview with that arrogant attitude are quickly told to jog on.
DannyBoy123
^^ Well said nauru, it is foolish to assume that because you have a certain degree you are guaranteed a job. My Aunt recruits for the Lehman Brothers and has told me that people who come in to an interview with that arrogant attitude are quickly told to jog on.

Are they a bit snobby as to which unis graduates come from?
Reply 7
All world class banks are a bit snobby that way. Same goes for world class consultancies. The wildcard is, of course, personal contacts within the firm who can help get your application a closer look.
Chrisateen
Are they a bit snobby as to which unis graduates come from?

Apparently not although she did say that a good portion are from Oxbridge, with the LSE being the next biggest provider (usually). This is only because these Uni's are so hard to get into anyway, they do a bit of the banks job for them. That's not to say lesser Uni people don't get a look in though.
DannyBoy123
Apparently not although she did say that a good portion are from Oxbridge, with the LSE being the next biggest provider (usually). This is only because these Uni's are so hard to get into anyway, they do a bit of the banks job for them. That's not to say lesser Uni people don't get a look in though.

Are they a few from former polytech uni's like Man Met, wolverhampton, bolton e.t.c
ghettosquad
Which one do you consider to be the most desired course by the employers? Finishing which would give me the best financial perspectives for the future? I am thinking only about courses which have to do with finance (economics; a+f, management etc.)

Thanks for all the opinions:smile:

The general consensus is that the most sought-after degree for investment banking is BSc Economics. It is the best-known "flagship" course here, and it is no coincidence that it has the highest entry standards out there. Obviously others are top-notch and top-ranked in their respective fields, e.g. LSE's BSc Accounting and Finance is meant to be the best in the country; BSc Actuarial Science is excellent; and many of the joint honours degrees such as BSc Govt and Econ are also very very good.

You stand a good chance of getting into the industry with any relevant degree here, single or joint. The three courses in the Economics department (Straight Econ, EME and Econ with Econ History) are considered the "best", but from my experience, any advantage over the likes of BSc Maths and Econ (Maths department), BSc Business Maths and Stats, BSc Acc and Fin, BSc Govt and Econ, and many more is minimal at best.
Chrisateen
Are they a few from former polytech uni's like Man Met, wolverhampton, bolton e.t.c

I haven't asked actually, I doubt it though. They can have up to 500 applications for a single position so they are only going to take the very best, although in todays economic climate I'm not sure they're hiring at all lol.:eek:
DannyBoy123
I haven't asked actually, I doubt it though. They can have up to 500 applications for a single position so they are only going to take the very best, although in todays economic climate I'm not sure they're hiring at all lol.:eek:

Still hiring this year, but it's been much tougher, especially for sales and trading/markets.
I can imagine...we're on a bit of a pivot at the moment, if it crashes then I can see jobs being slashed and recruitment being kept to the bare minimum (anyone read the thing about citibank possibly cutting 15,000 jobs worldwide!!). In about 4 years when I am ready to start work however...:biggrin:
DannyBoy123
I can imagine...we're on a bit of a pivot at the moment, if it crashes then I can see jobs being slashed and recruitment being kept to the bare minimum (anyone read the thing about citibank possibly cutting 15,000 jobs worldwide!!). In about 4 years when I am ready to start work however...:biggrin:

Im sure they are not going to cut the LSE graduates and the very best. Just all those who went to crap unis. :wink:

Oops I don't think I should say that on TSR :ninja: :blushing:
There's a reason why people go to crap uni's you know...
Well you do have a point there DannyBoy123 just glad I got an offer from the best :wink:
Chrisateen
Im sure they are not going to cut the LSE graduates and the very best. Just all those who went to crap unis. :wink:

Oops I don't think I should say that on TSR :ninja: :blushing:

Trust me, a LOT of 2nd years at LSE aren't going to be working in the City this summer, at least not in the top divisions. This year's been crazy.
Depressing hope things get better when I graduate but at this rate it doesn't look to promissing :frown:
Reply 19
obv econ no doubt?

Latest

Trending

Trending