The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Rose64
Is anyone else just a little bit addicted?

A little?!!? :rollryes:

I left ofr like 6 months, then i decided, im just gonna get on today!!
Reply 2
I don't understand how people can do them it's so difficult!
Reply 3
Yeah, of course! :O

Been doing the Times ones like all of last year (at school).
Reply 4
steerpike

You just keep plugging away...
Reply 5
Yep! Does anybody else find them a lot easier then crosswords?
Reply 6
mockel
You just keep plugging away...

aint that the truth!! :smile:
Reply 7
A few people in my classes do the Times one every day in lessons. I can never do it- I don't understand how. =/ I prefer the cryptic crosswords in the Telegraph.
Reply 8
I just messed up a Difficult one.. :mad:
Reply 9
I usually do them in the car or on the train. In boring lessons I start messing around with coins I happen to have in my pocket, I got a nice knuckle roll going after much practice! :smile:

steerpike

You've just got to keep at them and have patience. Once you find a couple of numbers the rest just seem jump out at you.

Michael :rolleyes:
I love them...but have had to give up temporarily for revision purposes :frown:

ZarathustraX
Reply 11
I do the Times' difficult/fiendish ones occasionally. I'm certainly not addicted though :smile: . If you're really into them you should look for ones on the net that have been designed to be ridiculously hard (makes fiendish look easy!).
Reply 12
I'm not very good at them, but I find them fun. I take ages just to do the easy ones!
Reply 14
I find them quite easy and fun - I'm just naturally good at reconising where numbers belong. :smile:
Reply 15
Yes, but I haven't managed to do any Diabolical ones in the Telegraph yet :frown:
Reply 16
It's amazing that their such a rage in the UK but have yet to be discovered in North America (Canada at least) :confused:
glance
A few people in my classes do the Times one every day in lessons. I can never do it- I don't understand how. =/ I prefer the cryptic crosswords in the Telegraph.

You have to use a process of elimination. For example, I know this takes ages, but a good starting strategy pencil in every square each number which it could possibly be. Before long you'll find one that must be a certain number which you can mark in properly with pen and eliminate that possibility from all of the row, column and square.

Another technique is to look for possibilities which are the only possibility in that row/column/square. For example, if in one column you don't have a 5 and you've worked out that only one of the boxes could possibly be a 5, it must be a 5! Likewise, you can search rows and squares in the same way. This is where marking in all possibilities in pencil comes into its own and really makes it easier; it's essential on really tough puzzles!
I love them... but I'm not too good at them. Yet!
Reply 19
could any of u do that samurai su doku in the times?