The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
justbrowsing
Golly, calm down everyone! I was merely going to say that British people are the most arrogant nationality in the world. I've foreign relatives on my mothers side- they'd never criticise their country. I've no explanation, I just think that we're arrogant in the suffering and misfortune that's going on in the rest of the world. If only these people had any idea of the typpical 'foreigners' opinion of Britain- you'd be as proud as I am when I visit such relatives.

The majority of you lot try to adhere to all this 'PC' nonsense. I doubt very much that you'd swap places with a typical Ethiopian child for a year, if only to gain insiht into your narrow-minded little lives. ****in hell- it wouldnt kill you to have a little pride in your beautiful country, thats all I meant.

What PC nonsense? Haven’t got a strong argument, resort to accusations of political correctness? Trying to establish a world where all people have opportunities are not forced into abject poverty is what I consider, being a decent human. It would seem though that being compassionate is so last season.
President_Ben
They often do take them into consideration. We get to know the limits of economic models but they are surprisingly helpful and deep.

It is usually non-economists who think they understand economics who do that. :wink: You learn quickly how... "perverse" some markets are.

Economists and physicists are just failed mathematicians! :p: :wink:
justbrowsing

So the employer has to fork out more money simply because they dont enjoy their jobs.

Yep. "Efficiency wages". To stop people slacking so hard, you have to reward them to do the job enough.

Why should the rich man have to feel as though they owe him a favour? Who's to say that the wealthy dont work hard? My Dad works 18 hour days, most of the time, if you don't mind.

1. Not sure what that first statement means.
2. Some don't. Some do. We don't live in a meritocracy so talking like we do isn't very helpful.
''Yes none of us look down on the poor''.

Neither do I, you fool. Without the working class, I probably wouldn't eat of an evening. And I certainly wouldnt own the fabulous arctic fox fur stole i'm currently wrapped up in. It's a chilly night, and I'm a grounded girl, so get off my case kids.
pratikv
Economists and physicists are just failed mathematicians! :p: :wink:

No, we're applied and practical mathematicians.
Reply 145
President_Ben
They often do take them into consideration. We get to know the limits of economic models but they are surprisingly helpful and deep.

Well you seem to have a relatively sound view on this and seem more informed. I'm happy to concede on that point.
Reply 146
justbrowsing
This isn't new - it just means a lot of people do jobs they don't enjoy enough.

So the employer has to fork out more money simply because they dont enjoy their jobs. Why should the rich man jave to feel as though they owe him a favour? Who's to say that the wealthy dont work hard? My Dad works 18 hour days, most of the time, if you don't mind.

Nobody is saying that the wealthy don't work hard, but a lot don't a lot poor don't work harder either and a lot do.

Hard work and money has colleration unless the job invovles some kind of danger i.e mining money is usualy paid based on skills and market demands.
Reply 147
AT82
kb500 can I ask what your profession is?

I am currently a student.

Some people are not clever enough to get a profession. Some people have medical conditions which affects their ability to do work. I for example would make a useless builder due to a medical problem.

Ok I am all for taking into consideration exceptions, however a medical condition which prevents you from taking up one professon does not prevent you from all professions. Some people are not clever enough, fine, but going back to the original point of this thread why should I care then?

From your posts it seems you do care about people who be disabled or have medical conditions which affect their learning ability.

Yes you are right I do care about people in these conditions but they fall into the category of exceptions, I also have first hand experience of people who have learning difficulties or have been physically handicapped and they both coped very well.
Reply 148
justbrowsing
''Yes none of us look down on the poor''.

Neither do I, you fool. Without the working class, I probably wouldn't eat of an evening. And I certainly wouldnt own the fabulous arctic fox fur stole i'm currently wrapped up in. It's a chilly night, and I'm a grounded girl, so get off my case kids.

Be sure to not choke on that fur.
President_Ben
Yep. "Efficiency wages". To stop people slacking so hard, you have to reward them to do the job enough.

1. ''Not sure what that first statement means''.

Then I shall explain myself. I often get the impression that the successful often feel obliged to play down their achievemnts for fear of offending the not-so-fortunate. How about a nice big 'thankyou' to the rich of the world. Without them, we'd all be frickin' poor.
Reply 150
kb500
Yes you are right I do care about people in these conditions but they fall into the category of exceptions, I also have first hand experience of people who have learning difficulties or have been physically handicapped and they both coped very well.

So in effect you don't like lazy people who don't bother helping them selves and do nothing but claim government benefits and fake health problems?

I have no problem with it, I don't like these people either, but people seem to be classing all people under that brush and that is what I have a major problem with.
President_Ben
No, we're applied and practical mathematicians.

Perhaps, but financial models that Economists make have always tended to assume that human beings always act rationally (such as when people try to make models for the stock market), but in real life this isn't the case. Anyhows, I'm going to stop criticising the limits of accurate modelling and Economists as it's completely off topic.
Jacques Derrida
Be sure to not choke on that fur.

Came over all emotional at that- thanks for your concern.
Reply 153
President_Ben
kb500 - some people really do have massive leanings one way or the other in their thought processes.

Of course but not massive enough to prohibit you from doing GSCE's

There are more inputs than 'effort' into securing A level grades. Go back to your econometrics models for this kind of stuff. There are heavily distributed copies of data covering this area you can play around with.

Lol I don't do and never intend to do econometrics let's have a more subjective argument :wink: Of course there are more imputs but I would venture that the overriding factor is effort.

Finally - there is 'luck'. Good and bad.

As Machiavelli said it is the way you use luck that determines your success, bad luck isn't a sufficient explanation for a whole life of underachievement.
kb500
<stuff>

Luck

That large gaping hole in almost every model you test against the evidence. That 'u' error term which all too often happens to be really large...

It's really important in explaining why sometimes, the smartest, nicest, most industrious - can still end up very poor.

And the dumbest, rudest and laziest - very rich.
Reply 155
justbrowsing
Came over all emotional at that- thanks for your concern.

Lol I like you
President_Ben
And what are you? Working 24/7?

You expect people to 'laze' as much as possible in their job as their requirement from wage allow. This isn't new - it just means a lot of people do jobs they don't enjoy enough.

I hate the phrase 24/7. So lame.
Reply 157
President_Ben
Luck

That large gaping hole in almost every model you test against the evidence. That 'u' error term which all too often happens to be really large...

It's really important in explaining why sometimes, the smartest, nicest, most industrious - can still end up very poor.

And the dumbest, rudest and laziest - very rich.

Luck may help explain the extremes but doesn't explain everythingin between which is really what concerns most of us.
justbrowsing

Then I shall explain myself. I often get the impression that the successful often feel obliged to play down their achievemnts for fear of offending the not-so-fortunate. How about a nice big 'thankyou' to the rich of the world. Without them, we'd all be frickin' poor.

Some people might say their being rich is enough of thank you from the world.

Having it and enjoying it is different from being ostentatious and flaunting it. Maybe the rich realise they are lucky too.
kb500
As Machiavelli said it is the way you use luck that determines your success, bad luck isn't a sufficient explanation for a whole life of underachievement.

Wow- I'd never have been able to come up with such a fabulous quote. I'll endeavour to slip that little baby into a conversation at some point in my life!

Latest

Trending

Trending