The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Fat bottomed girls make the world go rooouuund
All these answers are good for a girl, but how do you say it to a boy? My boyfriend is 24 and (much as i hate to say it like this) really really fat. I've tried the nice method, i even did the harsh method (and hugely regretted it afterwards) but he is doing a sport course and keeps talking about when he's lost weight, but the fact is he doesn't lose weight. He started piling on the weight because he just never cut down his calories after he stopped training cos of sports injuries, and he does go to the gym but because of his injuries playing up he doesn't go as much as he needs to, he'll go something like every day or every other day for a few weeks and then it'll be his ankle or his shoulder. He has a go about my weight and yet he is more than twice my weight and i've been losing it. I snapped the other day when he had ago about my poor circulation and said 'I may have poor circulation, but at least i'm not bordering on morbidly obese' It really upset him, but its true, i just don't know how to get through to him, i know he has trouble with his ankle and his shoulder but they are not gonna get any better if he doesn't lose weight.

But to the OP, tell you what worked for me. I was in yet another mood with my boyfriend and the girls decided to take me out and cheer me up and instead of the usual go out clubbing and for a drink, they took me to a dance class. It was really fun and now we go every week, it helps to keep off the weight as long as you eat sensibly and its a lot more fun than the gym. Next time you see her going to McDonalds stop her and say 'why, don't we go here for a change' and choose somewhere like Subway or somewhere that does healthier stuff.
i think u have to convince him to lose it, its pointless just telling him unless he is motivated to lose it he won't. put scales in the bathroom or something so he'l constantly be able to see his weight remove the snacks from the house. or tell him ur worried about him or something.
i havnt read the thread so excuse me if im repeating. why not go on a diet yourself and ask as a favour than she go on it too for moral support?
why not take pictures of her gorging herselves- like really gross pics, then do close up of fatty cellulite hanging over waistband- and then say thats what you look like!she may cry but its for her own good, either that or tell her to go on you are what you eat!
high priestess fnord
i havnt read the thread so excuse me if im repeating. why not go on a diet yourself and ask as a favour than she go on it too for moral support?
Yeah bet with her that you can lose weight faster than she can. And make sure she loses it faster than you. If that doesn't work, just be harsh and tell her how fat she is.
It's up to her what she wants to eat.

However, the amount of saturated fats she's eating would personally scare the crap out of me.
Reply 27
hippieglitter
All these answers are good for a girl, but how do you say it to a boy? My boyfriend is 24 and (much as i hate to say it like this) really really fat. I've tried the nice method, i even did the harsh method (and hugely regretted it afterwards) but he is doing a sport course and keeps talking about when he's lost weight, but the fact is he doesn't lose weight. He started piling on the weight because he just never cut down his calories after he stopped training cos of sports injuries, and he does go to the gym but because of his injuries playing up he doesn't go as much as he needs to, he'll go something like every day or every other day for a few weeks and then it'll be his ankle or his shoulder. He has a go about my weight and yet he is more than twice my weight and i've been losing it. I snapped the other day when he had ago about my poor circulation and said 'I may have poor circulation, but at least i'm not bordering on morbidly obese' It really upset him, but its true, i just don't know how to get through to him, i know he has trouble with his ankle and his shoulder but they are not gonna get any better if he doesn't lose weight.

Go swimming with him. Low impact and loads of fun, doenst have to be crazy fast laps, just doggy paddle up and down the pool for an hour 3 times a week can help!
Reply 28
Segat1
Go swimming with him. Low impact and loads of fun, doenst have to be crazy fast laps, just doggy paddle up and down the pool for an hour 3 times a week can help!

If you were fat, would you want to be seen with your shirt off/in a tight swimming costume by everybody?
mr_person
Meh. Get her to read forums like this. When she realises that most guys aren't at all interested in fat girls she may change her ways.

define "fat" in your opinion ^o)

bah if your anything like my size 6 housemate...god help any girl who is a size 16. she said, and i quote [during an advert for Evans] "it really upsets me that there are shops for people like that"
Reply 30
xXMessedUpXx

bah if your anything like my size 6 housemate...god help any girl who is a size 16. she said, and i quote [during an advert for Evans] "it really upsets me that there are shops for people like that"

:eek: that's horrendous!
sidekick
:eek: that's horrendous!

Yeah..not made much better by the fact i am kind of a size 16, she's supposed to be a friend and i was sat in the room at the time :frown:

Heh, maybe she was just trying to motivate me to loose weight :p:
Reply 32
I know this has already been suggested, but you should encourage them to eat more; this way you look much thinner in comparison.
Reply 33
Guffy
If you were fat, would you want to be seen with your shirt off/in a tight swimming costume by everybody?
No. But he can go early in the morning. Stop finding excuses for him! :smile:
Reply 34
Fat is the new thin.

For some people.
Reply 35
xXMessedUpXx

To be blunt, I would say size 16 is fat.
You probably can't do anything. Although being harsh and honest is more likely to be effective, she'll probably start going on about human rights and how she can eat what she wants etc, just don't bother, not everyone has a desire to improve themselves and that's it.
Anonymous
i have a serious problem....ma mate can't stop eating seriously fry up for brekie mc donalds for lunch n takeaway for dinner...in amongst unhelthy snaks(god i feel l;ike gillian mckeith) but no being more serious she wear clothes which protrude her stomach it is rather disgustin it looks likes she preggers...moreover when she wears skirts she gets the rong kinda attention frm these weirdo boys
ahhh at logger heads
helpp..... advice....plzz...desperation:confused: :confused:

First of all i can barely understand what you have written but i am going to have a go at making sense of it.

SO your friend can't stop eating, she has a fry up for breakfast, McDonalds for lunch then she has a takeaway as her dinner and has sweets in between meals.

Ok first thing is tell her to watch that program called you are what you eat, I think it is on channel four on a Wednesday night.

Secondly tell her if she continues to eat like that she will not live much past 40 years old.
Reply 38
Segat1
No. But he can go early in the morning. Stop finding excuses for him! :smile:

I'm not. I just meant that if I was a fatty I would never go swimming. I'd go running instead.
Reply 39
minimo
Be really blunt and forthright with her. Even if it comes out nasty. A friend did it to me and I lost 1.25 stones and am a different person pretty much now.

I bet the preson who neg-repped me for this is like a size 24 or something. Note the fact I was describing personal experience, so if anyone should be offering advice on this to the OP it would be me.