The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yeah the referee was a bit of a dick, mainly for making Saha stand there for about a minute before he could take the kick. Whenever they have ages to wait before kicking it never goes as well because the confidence slowly drains away. Definitely should have let Rooney or Ronaldo take the penalty, it needed someone with confidence, and Saha had just had his confidence killed by the "offside".
Mithun
We only need a point to go through to the next round whereas you guys hardly have a chance of winning the league.

If there's one team that cannot complain about our poor away form its you guys.
I don't know if you're deliberately trying to sound stupid or not but I'll reply anyway.

Why are you MIXING UP the league and CL?
:rofl:

I put it in nice colours for you :smile:.

You only need 1 point to go through?

We're already through and we haven't even played this matchday yet.
olliemccowan
Yeah the referee was a bit of a dick, mainly for making Saha stand there for about a minute before he could take the kick. Whenever they have ages to wait before kicking it never goes as well because the confidence slowly drains away. Definitely should have let Rooney or Ronaldo take the penalty, it needed someone with confidence, and Saha had just had his confidence killed by the "offside".

Not ronaldo, he can't seem to hit a shot on target right now.

But yeah, something needs to be done when players simply ignore the referee, like the celtic players were doing lots in the match, not moving back for walls etc.
justfurry

Oh lol yeah big deal you went through early, what trophies are there for that then? It's hardly done wonders for your league form has it.

Anyway back to what really matters on sunday, I think it's important we get an early goal, the longer we go without scoring another Arsenal might happen. You saw what happened at the bridge when Chelsea got the early goal last time. I don't think Chelsea's defense is as strong this season either so there's every possibility that if we score early we could really be setting the tone for the rest match and go on to win just like they did.
Bex i wasn't saying stand on the post it went but to at least stand more central, if he was to bend it to the other corner the ball would have to travel further and he would have more time to react, the percentages say that a left footer taking a free-kick from the side of the box will always try to put it in the corner it went. You were right it was never a free-kick in the first place, Vidic took the ball and not the man so pretty crap decision.
Reply 6405
I thought Man Utd were well on top in the first half and should have scored with their possesion and territory. Celtic were woeful in the first half and were lucky to have nil at half-time.

For all Man Utd's possesion they did not create that many clear cut chances in the game. I thought Celtic improved in the second-half and I feel this was due to Strachan changing his game plan. In the first-half I got the impression that Strachan put up a white flag in regards to the formation and team selection.

Celtic's goal was never a free-kick, a blatant dive by Jarosik. I would also say the decision for the free-kick that lead to Man Utd's penalty was never a free-kick either. A blatant dive by Scholes I believe also.

I think that Man Utd fans forget about Giggs dive for the penalty at Old Trafford. Am I alone in believing if you remove Giggs, Scholes and Neville that the rest of the Utd team are rather gutless. I have never rated Lennon but I believe even at his age that he is far better player than 18M (Spongebob Square Ba) Carrick.

I thought that at times Utd looked like they were going through the motions with thoughts definetely on Sunday's game against Chelsea. I believe they will have to raise their performance significantly to achieve a result against Chelsea.

I think Utd look rather leaderless without Keane. I can certainly understand why Ferguson wants Owen Hargeaves as he is a fully-committed player at all times. I thought Scholes had a terrific game last night, he is still a class act.

I don't believe that either of last night's teams will get further than the quarters this season.
Sharpshooter
Oh lol yeah big deal you went through early, what trophies are there for that then? It's hardly done wonders for your league form has it.
Yup, my point is that we're already through with 2 games left to spare, and you're not even sure of qualification till the last game.

Point = our CL form is better

Subject: CL

You change the subject because you're too embarassed to talk about the CL.

You need to refer back to this post and teach yourself not to change the subject.
Reply 6407
justfurry
I don't know if you're deliberately trying to sound stupid or not but I'll reply anyway.

Why are you MIXING UP the league and CL?
:rofl:

I put it in nice colours for you :smile:.

I know that you are talking about the CL but I am talking about the league, is that hard to understand or are you embarassed to talk about the league?

I am surprised to see you talking about changing the subject considering that you keep doing it often, remember when you drew with Boro and you brought united and chelsea into the topic?
Mithun
I know that you are talking about the CL but I am talking about the league, is that hard to understand or are you embarassed to talk about the league?

I am surprised to see you talking about changing the subject considering that you keep doing it often, remember when you drew with Boro and you brought united and chelsea into the topic?
Oh, we can talk about the league if you like, it's just very interesting that you change the subject.

Indeed, mentioning Chelsea and manure about Boro is still the league, not the CL. I didn't change the topic.

That's a shame, all of your "points" were wrong.
Reply 6409
to all the people who are saying that there team has qualified for the cl with 2 games still to play an taking a swipe at united all i can say is atleast weve still got a chance of qualifying and at least were not out of the title race in novemeber. after all the hype in summer that this was 'pools' year you have been utter c**p, on the basis of there performances liverpool wont win the title for another 30+ years!!
Lolza
blazing_bandicoot
to all the people who are saying that there team has qualified for the cl with 2 games still to play an taking a swipe at united all i can say is atleast weve still got a chance of qualifying and at least were not out of the title race in novemeber. after all the hype in summer that this was 'pools' year you have been utter c**p, on the basis of there performances liverpool wont win the title for another 30+ years!!

Were not going to win it, but noone is out of anything in novemeber

Away from home yes, at home Anfield has been a fortress. Our european away form is also miles better than yours.

Oh yes, because that makes sense
Reply 6412
well it makes sense to us united fans!!!!
blazing_bandicoot
well it makes sense to us united fans!!!!

Explain to me who our performances this season have any relation to performances in years to come.
calderstonesLFC
Explain to me who our performances this season have any relation to performances in years to come.

It's obviously a vicious cycle :p:

No, but really, Liverpool are awful today, and I sincerely hope they will continue to be such for a very long time.
Reply 6415
justfurry
Oh, we can talk about the league if you like, it's just very interesting that you change the subject.

Indeed, mentioning Chelsea and manure about Boro is still the league, not the CL. I didn't change the topic.

That's a shame, all of your "points" were wrong.

The match was Boro against pool, why bring Chelsea and us into the topic?
Reply 6416
jameso88
Bex i wasn't saying stand on the post it went but to at least stand more central, if he was to bend it to the other corner the ball would have to travel further and he would have more time to react, the percentages say that a left footer taking a free-kick from the side of the box will always try to put it in the corner it went. You were right it was never a free-kick in the first place, Vidic took the ball and not the man so pretty crap decision.

I didn't mean stand on the post (tho having said that, I've seen a comment by a complete and utter muppet on a separate forum who, since he knows so much about football, reckons VDS was in the wrong as he should've put a man on the post!!!), and I don't believe that standing any more centrally would have meant he got to the ball. It was a well taken free kick, placed right in the top corner that nobody could really do anything about.

I felt the ref lost control at times, the main one being the penalty descision. It was never a penalty, but then again he failed to deal with the players once he'd made that descision, not just in terms of the descent, but also the Celtic players positioning and pushing and shoving going on.
Reply 6417
In regards to putting someone on the post for the free-kick that maybe would not have mattered. Against Kilmarnock earlier this season Nakamura scored from a similar distance and angle against them. They had a man on the line where most punters believe you should put one. Nakamura went across the wall and into the other corner with the free-kick. That was the third free-kick he has scored against them in two seasons.
Reply 6418
Gosties
In regards to putting someone on the post for the free-kick that maybe would not have mattered. Against Kilmarnock earlier this season Nakamura scored from a similar distance and angle against them. They had a man on the line where most punters believe you should put one. Nakamura went across the wall and into the other corner with the free-kick. That was the third free-kick he has scored against them in two seasons.

If you put somebody on the post/line with a freekick like that, it means that the opposition are then free to place players where they can obstruct/unsight the keeper as they would no longer be offside, and also more likely to be there should the keeper make a save. Cracking freekick that was unstoppable, and with the placement, somebody on the post wouldn't have been able to jump high enough to get a head to it anyway (unless they had a piggyback).
Reply 6419
Agree that the free-kick was unstoppable. Nakamura has ability like Beckham when it comes to striking a dead ball. I said to my mate while watching the game he is capable of putting the ball away from their. I would have subbed Nakamura long before that moment as I thought he was abysmal for most of the game.

Latest