The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Consie
I wonder if there are any Portugese/French/Dutch/Belgian/Spanish/German students slagging off their empires in forums.
French and Spanish? Possibly. Dutch, Belgian and Portuguese? Almost certainly not. German? Don't make me larf. They're far too ecstatic about not being a wreck any more to care about anything else and besides, they haven't had an Empire since the Treaty of VerLOLZ.
Reply 41
King Leopold II loved nothing better than the exploit the **** out of his tiny African Empire (rubber and Congo ect). If we're looking at the Scamble for Africa and 'modern' era imperialism, the Spanish havent really had a look in. If you do want to go back to early modern times, the Dutch loved nothing better than a good exploitation party in Indonesia.
Reply 42
Consie
I wonder if there are any Portugese/French/Dutch/Belgian/Spanish/German students slagging off their empires in forums.

I think most of them just pretend their foreign histories never happened.
Reply 43
I just realised you're Lib North. What's gong on with all these name changes of late?

the Treaty of VerLOLZ.

That's a good one.

Whilst all imperial nations have engaged in exploitation, conciously or unconciously, maliciiously or otherwise, some empires have been less multifaceted than the British one and have had a greater enphasis on expolitation. They all deserve criticism, but only Britain's seems to really get it.
Reply 44
Agent Smith
However, in the notoriously unreliable thesaurus of the public consciousness, nay Zeitgeist
, the historical link between the two has been transmogrified (what a word) into synonymity.

EDIT: Dear God, I'm turning into Profesh.

Are you sure you don't mean Ferrus?
Reply 45
Well the other European nations have a much darker colonial past, the French with their problems in Algeria and Indo-China. The Dutch weren't the nicest sort in South Africa, the British were far better than the Boers and people like Cecil Rhodes were very tolerant of the Dutch speaking whites in South Africa.

Lib North, your a traitor with your French name, I'm nearly cried when I saw you had changed it.
Reply 46
*waits for concentration camp comeback*
Reply 47
Consie
I just realised you're Lib North. What's gong on with all these name changes of late?

I was sipping some absinthe and felt a bit continental. I'd have done it in Latin a long time ago, but unfortunately there is no word for Libertine independent of the term for 'freed slave' in the aforesaid tongue.
Reply 48
dan_man
Lib North, your a traitor with your French name, I'm nearly cried when I saw you had changed it.

Think of it as a sort of 'Deus et mon droit' type thing - I'm affirming the dominion of our Sovereign Lady over these lands as the rightful Queen of France and Duke of Normandy. :biggrin:

Anyway... I was born when my parents were living in Quebec! As a Canadian passport holder, I reserve the right to be a bit multilingual at times.
Reply 49
given your a libetarian, the freed slave idea is quite apt - you advocate freedom from the slavery of an invasive government
Reply 50
dan_man
Friendly person, oh and who's the coward who neg repped me for the first post, if you wish to prove a point instead of going,

"You clearly never lived under the British rule of South Africa"

Well Mr or Mrs Invisible neg repping person, I very much doubt you lived in British rule in South Africa. If you do wish to bring something of higher intellectual calibre to this table of debate then please do, I would be honoured.

wtf? You accuse me of saying something I didn't and then accuse me of 'neg repping' you when I didn't do any such thing. Stop being such a loser.
Reply 51
Oswy
wtf? You accuse me of saying something I didn't and then accuse me of 'neg repping' you when I didn't do any such thing. Stop being such a loser.

I didn't accuse you of neg repping me, but when you said "Check your ego." your ego I thought that was a rather immature and insulting comment.
Our empire lacked the public showings of bravery and animal cruelty, and vertiable ease of getting homosexual prostitutes of the classical empires. That's one lesson we could have learned better.
Reply 53
I think we mastered the prositutes much more subally, so to speak. Every Victorian 'gentleman' was banging everything in site. Whats more, there were plenty of surgeons who used to 're-virginise' young girls so fellas coz deflower them again later. Getting a slut then was probably 100000 times easier than it is now.
The Empire was good:

Look up the battle of Magdala and the Amritsar massacre.
Reply 55
Yeah, these two battles define the entire nature of 400 years of imperialism...there's nothing more to it. It was all about massacres, the only thing better than massarcing one tribe was moving on to do the next one. In fact, thats all we did, just moved round and massacred various people...

:|
Reply 56
SolInvictus
The Empire was good:

Comparing the incident at Amritsar to say perhaps one of the many massacres that was carried out when India and Pakistan were partioned where between 500,000 and 1,000,000 were killed. At that stage the British Empire was in the form of political imperialism, not my desired form of economic imperialism.
Reply 57
SolInvictus
The Empire was good:

The Battle of Magdala - is that the best you can do for an example of British brutality? The Abyssinian Emperor, unhappy that Britain hadn't responded to his offer of alliance, kidnaps a British consul and his party. Queen Victoria sends an envoy to negotiate the release - and then he, and his sixty-strong party are also jailed! So British forces go to liberate the captives, kill (only) 700 Ethiopian enemy troops, loot some valuables and then exit Abyssinia, without conquering or colonising it. Hardly an unjustified campaign.

The Amritsar Massacre is a more fair example; the preceding protests were against the continuance of war time martial law and the actual massacre was purposeless butchery. So said Winston Churchill - that typical British imperialist - when he condemned the events as "an extraordinary event, a monstrous event, an event which stands in singular and sinister isolation," before the House of Commons formally censured the perpetrator, Reginald Dyer.

Any specific example of this nature doesn't weaken the thrust of the argument, as dan_man pointed out - that economic imperialism ie beneficial to all parties involved.
Reply 58
theres always been a bit of a discontinuity between Britian's love of free trade and empire i thought. I could see why we were into it when the idea was mercantilism was about, but it sort of contradicted free trade to an extent. Then again, initial imperial possessions, such as Virginia, Jamacia ect, was more just ensuring raw materials were safe from being captured by e.g. France and Spain. That then allowed Britian to sell things like tobacco almost exclusivly to Europe. Ahhh, you just cant beat a monopoly.

http://www.tutor2u.net/economics/content/diagrams/profitmax1.gif

Just look at that monopoly profit! *drools*
Given that the title is about "British Imperialism", do you think that the citizens of the native countries may feel oppressed that they're still under British rule in some sense, and they don't have freedom? Surely they'd want to do things their own way.

And yes, I read your first post.

Latest

Trending

Trending