The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Rachmaninov's 2nd...never played it but seen the score!
Reply 2
the well tempered clavier bach, i cant even attempt it.
Reply 3
I wrote one which required 15 fingers once. that was quite tough.
Sorabji's opus archmagicum (more tricky tha the opus clavicembalisticum). Haven't heard or performed it though. Is a ridiculous piece though.

MB
Reply 5
Surely it depends on your own personal technical strenghs?
Reply 6
the minute waltz, if you can play it in a minute... :biggrin:
Reply 7
The Transcendal Etudes by Liszt sound pretty damn hard but they look even worse! I'm sure that rank up pretty highly on the list.
Reply 8
heninacoop
Surely it depends on your own personal technical strenghs?

It does, but that is why the original poster put you have played or come across.
Reply 9
Liszt's Transcendental Etudes are amazing! Very hard though.
Hardest I've played, probably some Chopin, maybe his Revolutionary Etude.
Reply 10
Chopin and his Nocturnes. I took piano for 10 years and his Nocturnes still took like a year to learn. Then again, by then, I rarely practiced...
Reply 11
I'm sorry to say this, but the Revolutionary is about the easiest etude Chopin wrote -- it's certainly one of the few that I can approach.

In answer to the OP: Most of anything by Rachmaninov or Liszt. My copy of the last page of Rach's opus 32 no 13 prelude is more black than white. Very good fun to play bits of it, but no hope of ever playing it properly.
Having said that, not all difficulty consists of the number of notes per page: I find Beethoven extremely difficult even if it doesn't look it. you need all of the clarity of the Classical with the added virtuosity of the beginning of the Romantics... and those accelerated runs are possibly the evillist thing ever put into a piece of music.
Reply 12
Hmm it may be one of the easiest he wrote but I wouldn't call it easy! At least not for me :frown:

Yeah I agree with Rachmaninov though, some of Liszt isn't too bad, like the Liebestraume.
Reply 13
?Rach 3 out of the standard repetoire. Not that I've played it :biggrin:
The liebestraume is a gorgeous piece :biggrin:
Im currently finding beethoven's moonlight sonata a bit of a challenge because my hands are so small :P
Reply 15
fatboy06
?Rach 3 out of the standard repetoire. Not that I've played it :biggrin:

Piece of cake that is ..give it a go!! :rolleyes: :p:

:rofl:
Reply 16
Although I realise it is nowhere near the hardest piece, I would still like to take this opportunity to complain about Chopin's opus 40 no.2 Polonaise in C minor.

*whine* melodies in the middle notes of chorsd *whine*
*whine* bars 38 through 43 -- what were you thinking? Argggh!! *whine*
Reply 17
Im currently finding beethoven's moonlight sonata a bit of a challenge because my hands are so small :P

:ditto:

I've only just managed to play octaves :redface:
Reply 18
i have that trouble anything with big jumps intervals i find a struggle. Little hands arent the best when your a piano player.
Reply 19
Katy200
i have that trouble anything with big jumps intervals i find a struggle. Little hands arent the best when your a piano player.
Tis true :frown: I literally have a hand span of an 8ve...

Latest