The Student Room Group

Help from anyone who owns Dr Martens!

Hi,

Basically I've been watching a few pairs of dr martens online and I want to buy some but sadly I am a size 4 and I've seen more size 5's going. I'm really tempted to buy this size 5 pair I like but I'm worried it'll be too big or look stupid on me. I'm quite petite in frame size althogh average in weight. I'm pretty short 5'1 but my legs aren't skinny (I used to be a dancer). I haven't had chance to go try any on yet in the shops and they pair I've been eyeing is ending soon on ebay.

Any advice on sizing would be really useful! How did you find your dr martens fit?

Scroll to see replies

I own a pair of size 5 Dr Martens and I usually wear thick socks with them, otherwise they're quite loose.
Reply 2
they're fairly spacious, and seeing as they're pretty clumpy wearing a pair that's too big might make your feet look HUUGE

pointer: don't buy used dm's! they mould to the shape of your feet, so shoes in the shape of someone elses feet will rub alot!
Reply 3
Original post by BlissJunkie
I own a pair of size 5 Dr Martens and I usually wear thick socks with them, otherwise they're quite loose.

Not helpful if you don't tell OP your normal size... eg are you a size 4 usually like she is?
Reply 4
Hah, you sound like a clone of me, same height and shoe size and everything... I have bought size 4 dr martens and had to wear two pairs of socks for a while until they wore in and fitted better to my feet, i don't recommend buying size 5s based on that, and a new pair of size 4s look rather clumpy on me as it is, so a size up might be very disproportionate. (Basically, get the size 4s :smile: )
Original post by ily_em
Not helpful if you don't tell OP your normal size... eg are you a size 4 usually like she is?

Aah sorry :tongue:
I'm around a size 5 for trainers or 4.5 if they're 'lighter' shoes like flats. Also, they do make my feet look quite clunky I s'pose, especially from a side view although I don't know if that's just me taking too much notice as nobody else has realised/cared.
Reply 6
I'm a size 7 in every shoe shop. However the docs I own are a size 6 because they are so roomy!
I definately dont recommend getting size 5's, and they will make your feet look out of proportion, mine look huge in my docs!

I also agree with the poster above, don't get used ones because they will have molded to someone elses feet, it is a great investment to buy new ones, (plus you can try them on!)
Original post by Kimbo99
Hi,

Basically I've been watching a few pairs of dr martens online and I want to buy some but sadly I am a size 4 and I've seen more size 5's going. I'm really tempted to buy this size 5 pair I like but I'm worried it'll be too big or look stupid on me. I'm quite petite in frame size althogh average in weight. I'm pretty short 5'1 but my legs aren't skinny (I used to be a dancer). I haven't had chance to go try any on yet in the shops and they pair I've been eyeing is ending soon on ebay.

Any advice on sizing would be really useful! How did you find your dr martens fit?

I have no idea what size my feet are, but I got a size 9... or 10, I can't remember. Either either, seeing as they mould themselves to the shape of your feet, it doesn't make too much of a difference.

Also, boots (proper boots, not stupid fluffy frilly things) make your feet look big anyway, so why is it such a big deal if you buy a one size up?

Also, they rub your ankles like hell after you buy them. It takes a while to wear them in, but it's so worth it.
Thank you so much for your replies everyone!!! Saved myself a lot of hassle, I will look out for size 4s that are new or almost new!!
Does anyone have any advice for me as well? I'm normally a size 5 in flats but size 4 in heels! I'm also 5'1 and average weight however I hate having really loose shoes and am looking for a comfortable, snug fit but don't know if the 4's will be too tight? Which ones shall I go for, 5 or 4? PLEZZ REPLY
This completely contradicts what other people have said, but by far the most comfortable Docs I own are the ones I've bought when they were already pretty battered up. I find that they hurt like hell when they're new and become more and more comfortable as they're worn in, so I only ever buy them second hand and have never had any problems. :tongue:

EDIT: But if you're unsure about the size, I would definitely suggest trying some on in a shop (even if you then go on to buy them online).
Original post by OwlPatronus
This completely contradicts what other people have said, but by far the most comfortable Docs I own are the ones I've bought when they were already pretty battered up. I find that they hurt like hell when they're new and become more and more comfortable as they're worn in, so I only ever buy them second hand and have never had any problems. :tongue:

EDIT: But if you're unsure about the size, I would definitely suggest trying some on in a shop (even if you then go on to buy them online).

yeah the ones I'm bidding for on ebay have been used so they might be more comfy?
and I can't try them on in store cos the bidding war ends in 16 hours! Don't know whether to go for the 5's or 4's!
Oh I noticed, I'm a 14 yr old girl, I'm 5"8 and I have size 7 feet. I bought a pair of size 7 Doc Martens and they are kinda big and I have noticed they make my feet look quite big and clumpy
Reply 13
I'm 15 and size 7 as well and it has happened to me but i have just accepted the fact that doc martens are naturally clumpy lol
I am a size 7 in trainers and bought size 7 patent DMs but they are quite tight. I bought the size 8 and they are huge. Im currently trying to break in the 7s in the house by wearing them with thick socks but they are killing me. Really don't want to send them back because I love them
hey OP it has been 7 years now... how are your DMs ?
Original post by Sister George
Hi,doc martens tend to be correct sizing,go for the 4's,I'm in a 5 and 5'2",you will walk like a fly with clogs on at first but you get used to the weight,they will last you years!
Did you ever wear them in or are they still quite tight
Original post by MrsCummings
I am a size 7 in trainers and bought size 7 patent DMs but they are quite tight. I bought the size 8 and they are huge. Im currently trying to break in the 7s in the house by wearing them with thick socks but they are killing me. Really don't want to send them back because I love them

Did you ever wear the shoes in or are they still quite tight
Reply 19
I'm a size 3/4 in all trainers but in timberland and docs I'm a size 2 as they are very roomy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending