The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Self Catering Accommodation

I've applied for my accommo next year n have gone for self catering places but i was wondering if any current manc students could tell me what kind of stuff you get provided with in your kitchen/living room? is there anything you would reccomend i bring with me? Also, do they have to test any of the electrical stuff you bring for safety? Basically, what i'm getting at is, how would they react if i brought a smoothie maker with me? Any help would be much appreciated :smile: Thanks!
Reply 1
Basically tou get a kitchen. There are one or two cookers (depending on how many people are in your flat/corridor). Same with fridges and freezers. There will probably be one microwave as well. All pans, plates and utensils have to be provided by you. All the equipment they supply is tested and should be safe. What you bring doesn't need this testing. The only thing that i can remember you weren't allowed in the regulations was deep fat friers due to the fire risk.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Pippin
I've applied for my accommo next year n have gone for self catering places but i was wondering if any current manc students could tell me what kind of stuff you get provided with in your kitchen/living room? is there anything you would reccomend i bring with me? Also, do they have to test any of the electrical stuff you bring for safety? Basically, what i'm getting at is, how would they react if i brought a smoothie maker with me? Any help would be much appreciated :smile: Thanks!

Where have you applied? Im doing med and wanna go self catered too! Think I'm gonna have a look round before applying. Would be into borrowing your smoothie maker though, haha.
Reply 3
Hehe i've applied to burkhardt house, whitworth park and i cant even remember the thrid one :s i really hope to get a place at burkhardt tho coz it takes about 5 mins to get to the med school n i've stayed with a friend who lives there before, tis really nice. Where have you got in mind so far? do you think you'll go for victoria park, fallowfield or city campus?
Dunno, I'd quite like to go to Fallowfield but I think i'll also apply to WP 'cos it's opposite the med school! (need as much sleep as possible). Have you seen WP 'cos some people say it's horrible but some people say it's great.
Pippin
I've applied for my accommo next year

have you already applied?
are we supposed to apply this early
Reply 6
i dont think so, its just i've always had my heart set on manc so i've been looking at accommodation stuff pretty much since i applied, i dont think they'll start to allocate places at halls until they've had everyone's tho so i wouldnt worry. Devilwallride, i liked the idea of living in fallowfield for the social life but tbh i'm the kind of person that will get totally distracted by it if i'm in the middle of it n i would really like to get some work done/ get some sleep! As for WP, i've heard mainly good reports but i spose if i go there n it turns out to be nasty i'll (hopefully) only be there for a year n then share a house. Being able to roll out of bed 10 mins before a lecture starts is a definite perk tho!
Pippin
i dont think so, its just i've always had my heart set on manc so i've been looking at accommodation stuff pretty much since i applied, i dont think they'll start to allocate places at halls until they've had everyone's tho so i wouldnt worry. Devilwallride, i liked the idea of living in fallowfield for the social life but tbh i'm the kind of person that will get totally distracted by it if i'm in the middle of it n i would really like to get some work done/ get some sleep! As for WP, i've heard mainly good reports but i spose if i go there n it turns out to be nasty i'll (hopefully) only be there for a year n then share a house. Being able to roll out of bed 10 mins before a lecture starts is a definite perk tho!

yeah definitely, it's only a year so i'm sure i'll surive, don't intend on spending too much time there anyway!
Have you already made Manc firm then? Wish my other unis would hurry up so i can put an insurance down :mad:
It doesn't matter when you apply, it's all decided in July so just make sure you get it in by then.
Reply 8
You can't bring deep-fat fryers or halogen lamps, as they're both fire risks. Anything else is fine :smile:
Reply 9
devilwallride
yeah definitely, it's only a year so i'm sure i'll surive, don't intend on spending too much time there anyway!
Have you already made Manc firm then? Wish my other unis would hurry up so i can put an insurance down :mad:
It doesn't matter when you apply, it's all decided in July so just make sure you get it in by then.

I haven't officially accepted them as firm yet cause i've got another interview to go to but on the accommodation application form i ticked that its a firm conditional offer :smile: P.S. thanks for your help devlin and princess ana, i'm pleased that i can carry on smoothie making in manchester!

Latest

Trending

Trending