The Student Room Group

How was thhe C1 exam?

Poll

How was the C1 exam?

Hi

I am studying GCSE, but gave C1 early. It was really easy test, apart from one question, which was simple, but i am kind of sure that i got it wrong.

The question was find u1, u2, u3...

u(1) = 3

(mean below u)

u(n+1)=3*u(n)-5

second part:

Sigma (top part = 5) (below it said r=1) a(r)

What were your answers to these parts, if anyone can remember.

Best of luck for rest of the exams. I have got GCSE english lit tomorow.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well you have u(1) = 3
Plug this into the equation
u(n + 1) = 3*u(n) - 5
So therefore u(2) = (3*3) - 5 = 4
And u(3) = (3*4) - 5 = 7
Reply 2
a) U1 = 3
U2 = 4
U3 = 7

b) U4 = 16
u5 = 43

so Sn = 3 + 4 + 7 + 16 + 43
= 73
Reply 3
I got the first part right but i have messed up on the second one. Anyway it was only 3 marks, considering i got most of other questions correct. By the way was it a AP or GP?

Reply 4
it was neither, i dont think, thats the tricky part, on last years paper or the one before that, there was a question were all the odd terms were 1 and all the even terms were 4, theyre nasty like that
Reply 5
u involves A.P and ar involves G.P
Reply 6
getphighted
it was neither, i dont think, thats the tricky part, on last years paper or the one before that, there was a question were all the odd terms were 1 and all the even terms were 4, theyre nasty like that

I remember doing that one while i was solving past papers, but it was easy when compared to this one. But if this one has GP, they will have to give us extra marks, or balance some how because we dont learn GP for Edxcel C1
Reply 7
no it wasnt either, if you try and work out a value of r using ar^2 / ar you get 1.75, and if you do ar^3 / ar^2 you get 2. 857, as r is not the same, you know that there is not common ration. so it is not a GP and it doesnt have a common difference either so it isnt an AP, its just some nasty little progression they thought up, they wont ive extra marks as your expected to notice it isnt an AP i expect.
Reply 8
oh well. no probs, i hope i have got everything else right :smile:
Reply 9
i got most of it right, but theres always going to be the odd thing you get wrong. you can only hope for the best, post your results up here when you get them and good luck with the GCSE's
Reply 10
Reply 11
hey all what was the answer to the area question in C1 that of the triangle?
i think it was 5/2 root 325 but i dont know
Reply 13
getphighted
i think it was 5/2 root 325 but i dont know

yeah thats wut i got ... but are you sure cuz my friends all got a totally different answer ..
Reply 14
I had root 125*root 65*1/2

to be honest doesnt sound correct to me.
Reply 15
unknownz
I had root 125*root 65*1/2

to be honest doesnt sound correct to me.

nooo thats what i got .. hehe
dont worry
Reply 16
what was the answer to the simioultaneous equation?
Reply 17
lol, fingers crossed on that last question :smile:

I always get simultaneous equations correct, cant remember the answer at the moment.
Reply 18
hehe i just saw that i had the spelling wrong .. lol ..
Reply 19
lol, anyway to that root quesiton i have calculated the answer to 45.xx

Latest