Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

Erm..it isn't?
Reply 2
Jenski
Erm..it isn't?

that's the spirit!
Reply 3
Closer to the DoC is the only reason i can think of. But then Magdalen has Moya... it's a tough call. :hmmmm2: But on balance, it definitely isn't is thirded!
Reply 4
DoC? Moya?

(ignorance)
Reply 5
Cocktails, darhling!

edit - i keep getting these urges to give a non flippant answer, damnit... so the 3 first respondants obviously disagreed :wink: .
But there's no universal answer for everyone when it comes to choosing where to apply, blah blah blah - it all depends what you want from a college & perhaps which subject you're interested in?
greensurf
Please do battle it out:smile:

Worcester is ok.
However, I would find it very hard to say that it is better than Magdalen.
Magdalen is just about the only college that everybody loves, whether or not they go there.
Reply 8
MAgdalen comes before Worcester in the alphabet, meaning that it comes before Worcester in any list of colleges. Therefore Magdalen is clearly better.

QED
Reply 9
hmm yeh thought this would be a hard one to answer.... For Magdalen, is it right in the first year the building you stay in is actually a bit grotty?:confused:
Reply 10
greensurf
hmm yeh thought this would be a hard one to answer.... For Magdalen, is it right in the first year the building you stay in is actually a bit grotty?:confused:

Meh: it's grottiness is grossly overstated. I even quite like the design of the building (cf. St. John's + ChCh 60's monstrosities). The rooms are large, airy and most have sinks. The ones that don't have river views (although the merit of said views is debatably). And the rest of the accomodation is luvverly.
Magdalen is just about the only college that everybody loves, whether or not they go there.

Except for the legions of Magdalen rejectees at all the other colleges (myself included, as well as about half the music students it seems).

Magdalen is poo :wink:

Worcester has insanely massive grounds, sports facilities on-site, and a lake. And doesn't have most of Oxford camped outside your door on May Morning.
Reply 12
Huw Davies
Worcester has insanely massive grounds.

Doesn't Magdalen as well?
Reply 13
In a word, yes! & the sports grounds are via the main college grounds.

Magdalen Prospectus Entry
...has some of the most beautiful buildings in Oxford, new as well as ancient. It is set in 100 acres of grounds which include the Deer Park and Addison's riverside walk.

Worcester prospectus entry

Set in its own wooded grounds of 26 acres, which include a lake, Worcester is one of the most beautiful of all Oxford colleges.
Reply 14
Huw Davies
Except for the legions of Magdalen rejectees at all the other colleges (myself included, as well as about half the music students it seems).

Magdalen is poo :wink:

Worcester has insanely massive grounds, sports facilities on-site, and a lake. And doesn't have most of Oxford camped outside your door on May Morning.

Huw!

If you're the Huw I know, then you love Magdalen really. And if you're not, then, well, you probably love it really too. And even if you don't, it's still better than Worcester.

Peter x
We have ducks...
Reply 16
worcester is in general the best college for sporting people, so that's one thing on the list if that's your kinda thing. i'd rather go to worceter, the general 'vibe' i've got from being in both colleges feels better at worc to me.
I didn't realise Magdalen's were so big: to me Worcester's felt bigger but I spent longer poking around them which probably explains it. How much of that is no-entry deer park?

Hey Peter: long time no see! I do love Magdalen a bit really, just feel the occasional need to ham up my 'bitter rejectee' status. With the result of my being taken for a Worcestercian in a PM, amusingly.

Worcester isn't massively distinguished for rugby or rowing, which are the two sports I know and the big two in Oxford. They are top for Association Football though. The likes of Teddy Hall\Peter's and Oriel\Pembroke would be much more obvious choices for the hardcore rugby players\rowers.
Reply 18
Huw Davies
I didn't realise Magdalen's were so big: to me Worcester's felt bigger but I spent longer poking around them which probably explains it. How much of that is no-entry deer park?

Hey Peter: long time no see! I do love Magdalen a bit really, just feel the occasional need to ham up my 'bitter rejectee' status. With the result of my being taken for a Worcestercian in a PM, amusingly.

Worcester isn't massively distinguished for rugby or rowing, which are the two sports I know and the big two in Oxford. They are top for Association Football though. The likes of Teddy Hall\Peter's and Oriel\Pembroke would be much more obvious choices for the hardcore rugby players\rowers.

You can usually add tennis and cricket to that. Not that's it's a sporting-only college as it's also noted for its music and drama.

Usually mid-Norrington-table academically.
Also my uncle went to Worcester and he didn't like it much.

Latest

Trending

Trending