The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Group 1 subjects are the language A1 courses. Group 2 subjects are the language A2, B, and ab initio courses. IB does let you replace your group 2 subject with another group 1 subject if you really want to.
Reply 21
Is there anyone else who takes two A1s and both at HL...?
I'm sure there are some people just as crazy as me... XD

I'm doing English A1 and Chinese A1, because... frankly speaking I don't know which one is my native language, and though I personally think Chinese is my stronger language, English A1 turns out slightly easier... sigh.

As you're probably thinking, the assignments are driving me mad. Oh well.
Don't mind the reading, though some books really bore me out of my mind... and the writing, well, I'll survive... but orals are like... UUUGGGGGGGGHHHH.

*cries*
This must be the worst summer ever! I can't help feeling guilty when I don't do something! And that is really scary. XD
Reply 22
Well good luck in your A1 subjects. I'm sure you'll do great. As for the summer, I'm sure you have a lot to do, don't you? Some world lit. essays (especially you're taking 2 A1 HLs?!), the TOK essay, extended essay perhaps!! If not, then try practising the orals for next year to be more than ready. You know university applications are stressful and the time devoted for them is not that small.

Anyway, good luck and study well!! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. :wink:
Reply 23
Hello everyone,

Find attached the Language A1 Guide, since many of us are actually doing their World Literature Essay, and it does provide some highlights on what to and what not to do.

Hope it helps. Have a nice day everyone. :smile:

P.S. you have to enter the password: mmsibsyllabi :wink:
Reply 24
I'm finally done with the World Lit. Essay!! Woo hoo :bumps: That's loads off my back!

:dancing2: :marchmell :bunny:

Anyone with questions about the essay? I'm there for you all. :wink:
Reply 25
Congratulation! Must feel wonderful.

I have yet to start mine x_x But I want to finish EE first...
Reply 26
It does feel great. I emailed it to my teacher and still waiting for a reply. Anyway, I exceeded the limit by about 65 words (1565). Is it ok? I mean do we get penalized for something like this?

I'm now working on my EE.. It's in Arabic A1 too (but more fun than the World Lit. I guess!) :rolleyes:
Yes, you get penalised. But just lie. :rolleyes: Really, just say the essay is 1489 words. (or somethng random looking)
Reply 28
ehm.. Corrupting innocent minds, eh? (Just repeating the words you said before lol!) :laugh: I might revise it, I really hate lying to them. What if they count the words (I know it's dum, but what if they do it?). Besides, it's good to have everything right on track without any anomalies. I didn't receive the review from the teacher yet. Anyway, thanks for the dark advice!

Have a nice day. :smile:
Reply 29
BIO-AQUA
ehm.. Corrupting innocent minds, eh? (Just repeating the words you said before lol!) :laugh: I might revise it, I really hate lying to them. What if they count the words (I know it's dum, but what if they do it?). Besides, it's good to have everything right on track without any anomalies. I didn't receive the review from the teacher yet. Anyway, thanks for the dark advice!

Have a nice day. :smile:

Well, since it is only 56 words, I'm sure you can try to shorten it a tiny bit. If not, check out how you used citation (for instance, if you put the page numbers in the actual body after the quote, remove that and put the page number instead in the footnotes which doesn't count in the word count). I wouldn't risk lying either :p: After all, you never know...
Haha yeah, when it's 56 words I'd say you can shorten it. But when it was like a lot of words like my Geog IA...I just couldn't shorten it down to the limit. But the beauty with Geog is that you have stuff like graphs table maps in the middle, so you end up with loads of pages anyway, so counting is really rather confusing so no one would ever count. SO in the end I got away with like 200 words over the limit. :ninja: (Got a 7 for that IA btw :p:)

I'm saying, there comes a point when you jsut can't cut it down any further and when you come to that point, and you're desperate, then, you should just...mislead examiners a bit. But still, yes, you should try to be honest, first.

But never never never record your word count to be over the limit, regardless that it might be. Because if you say you are over, they will penalise you. No need to confess before they suspect it. They can't take more pts off if in the end they are crazy enough to count anyway, they can only take so many pts off for exceeding word limit.

Though, mind you, if you're over by a lot, they're not required to read the excess words...so...you might be screwed anyway...
BIO-AQUA
It does feel great. I emailed it to my teacher and still waiting for a reply. Anyway, I exceeded the limit by about 65 words (1565). Is it ok? I mean do we get penalized for something like this?

I'm now working on my EE.. It's in Arabic A1 too (but more fun than the World Lit. I guess!) :rolleyes:

Somewhere in the guide, it says you can go 10% over the limit. But my teacher (who is an examiner) said it depends on the examiner. Some will count the words, some won't, some will care about you going over the limit, some won't... I ended up with 1517 words and as far as I know, I didn't get penalized. But I did in my EE, I think...
Reply 32
Well then.. 10% (in case the examiner approves of it), it means 150 + 1500 = 1650.. Works for me!! :biggrin: But I guess I might revise the whole thing once the teacher sends back!

Anyway, thank you for your help! Have a nice day everyone. :smile:
Reply 33
JMS53
Hey everyone,
I was wondering... can you get examiners marks for language exams (A1 and A2) cos... I seriously dont get how you can answer what they want you know. Sciences either you know it or you dont. language... maybe you misexpressed yourself.

aight, thanks :smile:

Ok.. please tell us your language A1 for us to be able to help you. Basically there are general guidelines to all languages, but the more you specify yours, the more it becomes easier for you to get an answer! Anyway, please download the Language A1 guide to know the assessments required, the outlines and all other necessary information. (The guide is found post #24 above).
Reply 34
Question: is creative writing part of the language A1 curriculum?:confused:
Reply 35
howsoonisnow
Question: is creative writing part of the language A1 curriculum?:confused:

Not really. It is part of the Language A2 and B curricula but not part of Language A1, which is a pure literature course. If you're taking a Language A1 HL, then you might notice that the second world literature essay contains some creative writing.. But basically, no. :frown:
Reply 36
BIO-AQUA
But basically, no. :frown:

Dammit. :viking:

Here's another question for you all: if someone enjoys reading novels in their spare time (other than Jordan's autobiography and that book written by 50 Cent), is that something of a guarantee that they will enjoy/do alright in language A1?

(Say yes.)

(I'm panicking about this course.)

(:shy2:.)
Reply 37
Nothing in life is guaranteed. :\
Reply 38
howsoonisnow
Dammit. :viking:

Here's another question for you all: if someone enjoys reading novels in their spare time (other than Jordan's autobiography and that book written by 50 Cent), is that something of a guarantee that they will enjoy/do alright in language A1?

(Say yes.)

(I'm panicking about this course.)

(:shy2:.)

It depends. I mean, of course if you enjoy reading then it is a big plus since it is a literature course. But then also remember that the novels are already chosen by the school so you may or you may not like them. Most of them are quiet popular classics though, then some drama/poetry might come as well and world literature of course. And also, since it is a literature course, there will be a lot of analysis and if you're not fond of overly analysing novels for their content, themes, form and etc then that might be a problem.

I love reading and I like the literature courses but sometimes it can be a pain because I don't like the book or the analysing becomes too much.
Reply 39
Well Afterglow said it all :smile:. However, I would like to add a personal touch right there.. I advise you to take the course and be optimistic about it. I mean in the first few days (or even few weeks) you might feel a bit (or even a lot) uncomfortable about the whole course and so. But you'll manage if you want to. I mean if I compare myself before I did the course and right now, I have totally changed. You get a grip of the world around you and start analysing events from a different perspective and a new angle. That's the beauty of the IB (most people won't like this statement :biggrin:).

Latest

Trending

Trending