The Student Room Group

Older men

I was just wondering how come girls often go for guys who are older than them, or at least seem to prefer this. Is it to do with them being more mature etc or is it the power dynamic where the man is the boss and the woman looks up to him.

Do girls find it sexy when the guy takes the lead and is kind of dominant. Loads of girls on dating sites always go quite a bit older (to the extent that its hard to believe they would have much in common, from different eras almost) but very rarely younger. I don't quite get it to be honest and practically every page is the same so it must be something common to all girls biologically rather than socially.

http://www.mysinglefriend.com/search.php?&guid=1647232cbc5df4e32098cafe79cecdf8

Scroll to see replies

I think maturity is a big factor.
Whats with the link?
i haven't had any experience with guys my age, and no one my age has ever fancied me (as far as i know!).

i think i just have the face/body that appeals to the slightly more mature man. in my opinion guys my age are mostly after the slim, 'perfect' girls. i have an curvy hourglass figure.

the guys i've been with have all been at least 3 years older than me, up to 10 years older. last night's pull was 9 years older than me i think. hot as hell though. my goodness. gotta find him again. :p:
oh yes, and the older guys are more mature in intelligence/humour/etc. as well.
I can remember back when I was like 17, no girls my age fancied me yet for some reason girls about 3 years younger seems to fancy me :confused:
Reply 6
Rock Fan
I can remember back when I was like 17, no girls my age fancied me yet for some reason girls about 3 years younger seems to fancy me :confused:

Dude that so happened to me as well. I would be in physics and they would bum rush the room. Very annoying!
Reply 7
Theres something quite sexy about an older man imo... I think the maturity does play a big role in it, aswell as generally different values and respect. I know some males may not agree with this but girls are definatley more mature then their male counterparts. In my experience guys of the same age as me have completely different expectations of girls, non of which I agree with. I much prefer the traditional 'romantic'!
Reply 8
ffantastig_29
Theres something quite sexy about an older man imo... I think the maturity does play a big role in it, aswell as generally different values and respect. I know some males may not agree with this but girls are definatley more mature then their male counterparts. In my experience guys of the same age as me have completely different expectations of girls, non of which I agree with. I much prefer the traditional 'romantic'!

:dito:
Reply 9
I've always tended to like guys a year or two older than me. My current boyfriend is in the year below me though (9 months younger) & I find him so much more interesting and amazing than any of the other guys I've been with. I guess I like guys older than me for a fling or flirtation but for an actual relationship I've never had a better one than with my current boyfriend. It doesn't really matter, I suppose.
The irony one of my ex's was a year older but you wouldn't have thought it.
Older men are sexier.

(by older, I mean mid-20s. I'm 19.)
Reply 12
I know this maturity thing is a load of bull! I'm seeing a 24 atm (I'm 19) and you wouldn't notice a difference in maturity at all. (I know this is one case but I know plenty of mature guys my age and less mature girls older so go figure).

I think the maturity arguement is a bit of a cop out by women to justify thier preference to be honest and what actually appeals to girls about older men is thier power. In todays world one has to rise through the ranks of a career to become a big earner so it follows that women should be more interested in the men that have had more time to establish themselves as it were.

This is perfectly natural and fine but its just a shame that younger men get classified automatically as immature prats who are lower forms of species by (somewhat ironically) just as immature women because they won't accept that their preference is a somewhat darwinistic or irrational one.
Reply 13
Older men are 'supposed' to be more mature. But in my (quite vast) experience, older guys that go out with younger girls (say 10 years or larger age gap) have issues with maturity. Perhaps that is why they cant get women their own age, or dont want to, because they lack the maturity of their own age group.

This is a solid observation I have made over years and years of relationships with older men.

Note: My observation.
stoney
I know this maturity thing is a load of bull! I'm seeing a 24 atm (I'm 19) and you wouldn't notice a difference in maturity at all. (I know this is one case but I know plenty of mature guys my age and less mature girls older so go figure).

I think the maturity arguement is a bit of a cop out by women to justify thier preference to be honest and what actually appeals to girls about older men is thier power. In todays world one has to rise through the ranks of a career to become a big earner so it follows that women should be more interested in the men that have had more time to establish themselves as it were.

This is perfectly natural and fine but its just a shame that younger men get classified automatically as immature prats who are lower forms of species by (somewhat ironically) just as immature women because they won't accept that their preference is a somewhat darwinistic or irrational one.

Agreed mate.

I'm 24 so not exactly "young" as such, but I don't see what makes someone in their 30's more mature than me, just because they have some years on me.

I've done the uni thing, secured a steady job and moved from Glasgow to London to start this job despite having no friends and no home in London and having to start from scratch. I'd like to think the stuff I've managed to get through makes me "mature" in that I've experienced a lot of things and overcome them.
Reply 15
Agreed. Agreed.

I've done a 20+ years age gap before. Maturity is bullcrap. As I said above, these men date younger women because they are immature and relationships with women their own age don't work because of this.
Tufts
Agreed. Agreed.

I've done a 20+ years age gap before. Maturity is bullcrap. As I said above, these men date younger women because they are immature and relationships with women their own age don't work because of this.

That makes sense. If a guy can't get someone their own age there has to be a reason for that, because women of a similar age should really be on a similar standing to them in terms of maturity.
Reply 17
King Hippo
That makes sense. If a guy can't get someone their own age there has to be a reason for that, because women of a similar age should really be on a similar standing to them in terms of maturity.

These men can "get" women of their own age, but they cannot "maintain" the relationship. Their immaturity puts a stop to any long term compatibility with women their own age. So they are attracted to long term relationships with younger women, whom they hope, will share their maturity level. But that causes problems. Because the younger woman is dating the older man for an expected level of maturity which he does not posess.

It's took me years of dating older men to discover this paradox.
So what you're saying is that if you're old and immature you're Donald Ducked. :biggrin:

Surely the perfect choice then should be a younger guy with maturity gained through life experiences?
crushedfruit
Whats with the link?

Oh sorry the link messed up, basically if you search for young women aged say 25 or whatever virtually all say they will go up to 36 34 40 or whatever but very rarely go even a year below. Its not as if they are all desperate, quite the opposite, most are very attractive young career women, its bizarre to me because virtually everyone has a leaning towards older men.

Don't understand why the link didn't work it reverted back to the homepage.

Latest

Trending

Trending