The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If you send it so that the letter will be franked with the 8th on it, unless they mean something else?
Reply 2
I'm a British student, but live overseas... I've been given in place in the KCH. What are you going to be studying?
Reply 3
War Studies, baby. :smile:

ARGH. kings college hall is soooooooooooo far away from the strand, where i'm going to be studying!!! ARGH ARGH ARGH ARGH!!!!

So how are the dorms at KCH?
Reply 4
I don't know what the dorms are like... I'm a first year student... moving into the halls on the 18th. I'm going to be travelling to the Strand campus every day too. Should be ok though coz lots of people will be doing it, and it only takes 20mins on the train

*Tara*
Reply 5
really? only 20 mins? but on the accomodation office website, it says 30/40 mins....plus its in zone 2, seems a bit far away.....argh i wish i was in some intercollegiate hall now. my mom got really pissed when she saw that it was so far away, so i'm going to try to get a place at another dorm.
Reply 6
My mum got really pissed too... she phoned up the accommodation office and they said that if I wanted to try and get in somewhere else, I'd have to reject my place at the KCH. But then I'd automatically be placed at the bottom of the waiting list, so I'd probably end up with no where to live. Being from overseas makes it a lot harder for us too... they should give us priority and put us in the halls closer to the campus.

I sent you 2 private messages by the way...

*Tara*
just saying hey!! I also going to do War Studies and also I just got my accomodation pacakge.....I uk national living overseas and again, i have four days to reply to them! Yea right!! Then each time I call them....no one home!!Oh well......cya guys there then...with or without somewhere to live!!

Oh they gave me Wolfson or something (my third choice), any one know anything about that one??
Reply 8
cool....another war studies-er.

where are you from?
English mate but lived in Thailand for ten years now!! And yourself??
Reply 10
from hong kong....been living in hk all my life.........
Gnostic XXX
KCH is the very worst accomodation on offer at KCL. It's in a ghastly area of London, and suffers from crime.

this is true, if they had any sense they would have kept Wellington Hall and sold KCH.
KCH is the very worst accomodation on offer at KCL. It's in a ghastly area of London, and suffers from crime.

With respect to what? Yes its in a ghastly area of London. Yes it suffers from crime. However it is superior to many other halls on other grounds. You are not going to give a damn about the area you lived in 20 years from now but you will remember the quality of your first experience living away from home.

if they had any sense they would have kept Wellington Hall and sold KCH.

They should have kept Wellington. Its situated in an area which is never going to go out of fashion and so it value will stay high in the market, year on year. What are they going to do with the money? Make a new hall? I dont think so. Just another example of short term thinking and lack of accountability a few years from now.
KCH has a great atmosphere - to be honest, for crime pretty much anywhere in London you should be watching your back. :smile:

KCH does have an amazing social life though - you will never be short of friends and things to do if you put the effort in. :wink:
Reply 15
GREAT......now i REALLY look forward to living at KCH..... :frown:

my mom is NOT going to be pleased when she sees ugly "manky" buildings....

my cousin who is going to ucl is going to be staying at canterbury, one of the intercollegiate halls......its supposedly really nice....ARGH.......we're INTERNATIONAL FIRST YEARS for gods sake........distance is definitely a priority....i think i'm going to give up my place at KCH....
Reply 16
gangrene
i think i'm going to give up my place at KCH....

Don't give it up... it'll be very hard to get in anywhere else coz the waiting lists are really long. Just go there and see how the first few weeks go, then if you don't like it, start looking for accommodation elsewhere. I'm sure it's going to be fine...!

*Tara*
Reply 17
no way......london will never be singapore/hong kong.....is the crime in the city THAT bad? the stories about ppl getting mugged, raped and killed are starting to get freaky........
Reply 18
the crime isn't that bad... just don't go out last alone and you'll be fine. No other precautions need to be taken.
Reply 19
Yea, if you just act 'streetwise' and don't do stupid things like walking around with open pockets and flashing your brand new £400 mobile phone in people's faces, then you're fine. At night, just be more careful about who you walk near, and don't use any shortcuts like alleyways.

Try and get to know some people who are staying in the same accomodation as you, so that you can travel to and back together.

Latest