The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

£40 is nothing compared to what you have to pay when you leave home.
OP you are ungrateful.

A tenner a week.

You will not find anywhere cheaper.
Reply 3
Original post by TheWalrus.
£40 is nothing compared to what you have to pay when you leave home.

but its not fair they both earn enough to pay the bills
Reply 4
Original post by Pachuco
OP you are ungrateful.

A tenner a week.

You will not find anywhere cheaper.

she's only 17 though

a tenner is cheap, but she really shouldn't be paying anything tbh
Original post by Melissa O

And you are a lodger in their home. Most young people still living at home pay keep
im sure we are not getting the full story here.
im really unhappy, Im 17 and I have a part time job while at college but my parents are demanding £40 a month towards bills each month which think is so unfair, I want to be able to buy nice things but my parents asking for all this money means i cant save, how can I convince them to let me save my money?

I wish my rent was that low. 😢
Original post by ANM775
she's only 17 though

Why shouldn't she?
Reply 9
Original post by ANM775
she's only 17 though

thank you at least someone agrees, I mean I only do weekends mostly because of my education

And? They are teaching you the value of money - when you get a "proper" job you will be taxed and lose NI and will lose more than £40 a month, most likely. If you really don't think it's fair, move out....it'll cost you far more! Also, you said you want the money to buy nice things and then said you want to save - so which one is it?!! Maybe your parents want to buy nice things and/or save too....
thank you at least someone agrees, I mean I only do weekends mostly because of my education

I think your parents are really unreasonable
Original post by Pachuco
Why shouldn't she?

That is their child. It's their responsibility.
are your parents struggling to make ends meet and barely making enough to support the household? if yes, then you should be a blessing to your parents and lighten their burden

if not and they're completely stable financially then that is unfair and you should tell them that you need to learn how to budget and them acting like British government isn't helping. you could say that you want to have the money to buy things for yourself instead of spending their money helping them financially.
but otherwise, if they won't budge, you just gotta give it to them and work with the money you got left.
Reply 14
Original post by Pachuco
Why shouldn't she?

Because she's under 18

we're not living in Victorian times anymore where children had to go out to work and help support the family
Original post by Xodrama.

They could kicked her out.
Original post by TheWalrus.
They could kicked her out.

That's a pretty callous thing to do, to your own child.

She is 17 not 7. She's employed and earning money. It is in no way unreasonable or unfair to ask for a small contribution to the bills while she is living at home and working.
That's a pretty callous thing to do, to your own child.

If they are not following the reasonable rules.
Original post by ANM775
Because she's under 18

we're not living in Victorian times anymore where children had to go out to work and help support the family

Not a good enough reason. It's the principle not the amount of money. As above she is 17 not 7.

"I want to keep my wages and live rent free so I can buy nice things."

Ridiculous.

Latest

Trending

Trending