The Student Room Group

Overconfident personnal statement

Hello, I am a french applicant for british universities in economics (UCL,LSE,Warwick) and I sent my application in october. I just got a negative response from LSE (which I expected) and I mail from UCL asking me for other elements (yay). But I am getting scared that my P.S light be actually overconfident. I wrote " I know I can succeed in a British University" is this phrases Boasty?
Reply 1
Thank you for you very relieving comment! Yes indeed I said that prior to a paragraph where I showed my efforts to perform well in british further education.
You wouldn’t get scored down for overconfidence. It not something that can be measured when scoring a PS.
I feel like you’re stating the obvious expectation. You’d hope if you’re applying to Unis you’d be successful academically 😂

It’s like applying for a supermarket job and saying “I’m going to be great at counting money”
Original post by pierre_by
Hello, I am a french applicant for british universities in economics (UCL,LSE,Warwick) and I sent my application in october. I just got a negative response from LSE (which I expected) and I mail from UCL asking me for other elements (yay). But I am getting scared that my P.S light be actually overconfident. I wrote " I know I can succeed in a British University" is this phrases Boasty?

no, not at all!! I'm just saying you need to show off you only have 1 page!
Original post by pierre_by

No, I really doubt this will have any sizable effect on your application tbh. Yes on the competitive courses personal statement matters, but it is more about checking their are no red flags and you (or at least pretend to) have a serious interest in the subject.

They might view it as a little bit corny but it certainly wont negatively impact your application (at least if its just that one sentence, it wont).

The reality is most of your application will come down to academics, UCL, LSE & Warwick are competitive for economics so it just depends how you stack up against other applicants...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending