The Student Room Group

French Speaking Mock Help

Hi! I am a very confused Year 11 Student. We have a full speaking mock after the break but it hasn't been well explained. Does every school ask the same general conversation questions, or do the school make them up? We've been given a new booklet of 'Higher' level questions but haven't been told which to prepare. Help would be greatly appreciated
I did my GCSE French in 2018 and now I do A-Level French with people from all over and there's massive variation really.

The point of the general conversation (according to the exam boards) is that there are no set questions whatsoever. The exam boards provide plenty of example questions to teachers or whoever is conducting your exam but, in theory, you could be asked anything at all as long as it's on topic.

That being said, the majority of schools provide books of example questions for people to prepare because believe it or not most Year 11 students aren't native speakers who can respond fluently on every single topic ahaha and I think the exam boards turn a blind eye to that. If I were you I'd create a rough plan of what you'd say for each of the questions you've been given keeping in mind that what you'll be asked is likely to be something fairly similar but your teacher will almost certainly not just read from the book and go down the list because the point is that it's a conversation and you need to answer spontaneously to get higher grades anyway.
Original post by JSFarrow
I did my GCSE French in 2018 and now I do A-Level French with people from all over and there's massive variation really.

The point of the general conversation (according to the exam boards) is that there are no set questions whatsoever. The exam boards provide plenty of example questions to teachers or whoever is conducting your exam but, in theory, you could be asked anything at all as long as it's on topic.

That being said, the majority of schools provide books of example questions for people to prepare because believe it or not most Year 11 students aren't native speakers who can respond fluently on every single topic ahaha and I think the exam boards turn a blind eye to that. If I were you I'd create a rough plan of what you'd say for each of the questions you've been given keeping in mind that what you'll be asked is likely to be something fairly similar but your teacher will almost certainly not just read from the book and go down the list because the point is that it's a conversation and you need to answer spontaneously to get higher grades anyway.

Thank you so much for replying! Honestly, the French GCSE seems like the exam board expects everyone to breathe in French but somehow I'm managing an 8, although id hate to do it for A-Level lol. Here's hoping i dont fail my mocks :smile:
Thanks again

Quick Reply