The Student Room Group

College won't let me resit my A-Levels

Hey guys,

I received CAGs this year, getting AAA, which meant that I missed my offer to study Medicine. I wanted to resit for Summer 2021 (the Welsh WJEC exam board don't have Autumn resits) but my college have told me that it is highly unlikely I can resit there because of their COVID-19 policy (they aren't allowing any visitors to the college and I'm not officially enrolled at the college anymore).

Now. I have no idea if there will be exams. I have no idea where I'm going to sit exams if they do go ahead. I have no idea how I'm going to get a grade if they don't go ahead.

I'm panicking like hell because if I can't find somewhere else that'll let me sit exams (or mocks and other assessment to get another kind of CAG) I may have just wasted a year.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by sometimeslight
Hey guys,

I received CAGs this year, getting AAA, which meant that I missed my offer to study Medicine. I wanted to resit for Summer 2021 (the Welsh WJEC exam board don't have Autumn resits) but my college have told me that it is highly unlikely I can resit there because of their COVID-19 policy (they aren't allowing any visitors to the college and I'm not officially enrolled at the college anymore).

Now. I have no idea if there will be exams. I have no idea where I'm going to sit exams if they do go ahead. I have no idea how I'm going to get a grade if they don't go ahead.

I'm panicking like hell because if I can't find somewhere else that'll let me sit exams (or mocks and other assessment to get another kind of CAG) I may have just wasted a year.

If anyone can help me out here, I love you.

i'd suggest posting this here in the 'Official Thread: (Undergraduate) Medicine 2021 Entry'
Hey guys,

If anyone can help me out here, I love you.

You have to find a private examination centre and sit there. You will have to pay for the resits.
I am surprised there were no sit opportunities in Wales.
Reply 3
Yoiu ned to find a centre willing to accept you as a private candidate https://www.wjec.co.uk/home/student-support/private-candidates/
Original post by 999tigger
You have to find a private examination centre and sit there. You will have to pay for the resits.
I am surprised there were no sit opportunities in Wales.

Original post by Compost
Yoiu ned to find a centre willing to accept you as a private candidate https://www.wjec.co.uk/home/student-support/private-candidates/

Thanks for replying :smile:

Do you know how centres would be assessing now considering exams are likely to be scrapped? Will new centres be able to take on students at a time like this?

Do you know 1. how centres would be assessing now considering exams are 2. likely to be scrapped? 3. Will new centres be able to take on students at a time like this?

Will leave it to compist as they know more.
1. Not off hand.
2. I dont think next summers will be.
3. They are private businesses, so in it for the money. You can register for exams close to the exam date, but end up paying late fees for the privilege.
surely there's universities that offer medicine courses with 3 As (dont mind my arrogance) ? why not just apply; it will save you the trouble.
Original post by 999tigger
Will leave it to compist as they know more.
1. Not off hand.
2. I dont think next summers will be.
3. They are private businesses, so in it for the money. You can register for exams close to the exam date, but end up paying late fees for the privilege.

Thank you so much
Original post by Smokestar
surely there's universities that offer medicine courses with 3 As (dont mind my arrogance) ? why not just apply; it will save you the trouble.

There are :smile:, I had Cardiff and imperial as my insurance and firm last year. I could’ve gone to Cardiff but I wanted imperial, it was a personal choice and I’d probably sound a bit stupid to many people.

I’m still reapplying to a few other AAA unis in case i don’t get an A* this time around. Thank you anyways tho:smile:

Do you know how centres would be assessing now considering exams are likely to be scrapped? Will new centres be able to take on students at a time like this?

Perhaps, but the government is considering exam board assessment papers and previous work as evidence. They are also considering this approach among others;
(a) for private candidates to complete the papers set by the exam boards for use in schools and colleges. The exam boards would mark the papers (and any completed non-exam assessment) and issue a grade to the private candidate based on their performance.

Here are the other approaches:
(b) for private candidates to work with a school or college willing to assess the standard at which they are performing using the same type of evidence the school and college is considering for its students.
(c) for the exam boards to run normal exams for private candidates to take in the summer of 2021 appropriate venues would need to be provided.
(d) for the exam boards to run normal exams for private candidates to take in the autumn of 2021 appropriate venues would need to be provided.

If you have an opinion on this, you’ll have to let the government know by the 29th of January in the consultation that they’ve just launched.
Link: https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/consultation-on-how-gcse-as-and-a-level-grades-should-be-awarded-in-summer-2021

I personally prefer a, but I recommend that you read the government guide on private candidates and make an educated and personal choice.
Reply 10
There are :smile:, I had Cardiff and imperial as my insurance and firm last year. I could’ve gone to Cardiff but I wanted imperial, it was a personal choice and I’d probably sound a bit stupid to many people.

I’m still reapplying to a few other AAA unis in case i don’t get an A* this time around. Thank you anyways tho:smile:

Hi! slightly weird but I feel invested in your story...did you resit? What did you get? are you off to imperial this September? sending you light n good thoughts xxx
Original post by fairyFa
Hi! slightly weird but I feel invested in your story...did you resit? What did you get? are you off to imperial this September? sending you light n good thoughts xxx

Hello!! no worries, I resat at a local private centre, got an A* and I'm going to Imperial!!!:rofl3: thank you and best of luck with everything xxxx
Hello!! no worries, I resat at a local private centre, got an A* and I'm going to Imperial!!!:rofl3: thank you and best of luck with everything xxxx

Hi,
I heard that Imperial doesn't accept retakes. How did you apply to Imperial again? Was there extenuating circumstances or something?
Original post by hipokondriyak
Hi,
I heard that Imperial doesn't accept retakes. How did you apply to Imperial again? Was there extenuating circumstances or something?

Their reply was a year ago so there is a chance their initial results were under COVID (TAGS/CAGS) so unis may have been more lenient with resits.

NB. Imperials policy on retakes seems to be set at a department level, so you should be able to check on the relevant FAQ page. E.g. For Mathematics:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/mathematics/undergraduate/degree-courses-and-admissions/faqs/

"You are welcome to apply, but we do have a preference for first-time A-level sitters and usually only make offers to re-sitters if there are mitigating circumstances that meant their first set of results did not show their true potential."

Quick Reply

Latest