The Student Room Group

Help me firm my uni !!

So I am stuck between 2 Universities for a Graphic Design course - Loughborough and Norwich Uni of Art. Help me choose, i'll sum it up easily. I just wanted some honest, non-biased advice. Thanks! my biggest worry is that if i go to city i'll miss out on that 'uni lifestyle' that u see on TV even though im a social person - the campus life.
LBORO:
pros
+year in industry
+big campus - that uni lifestyle which i'm worried ill miss out on (tell me if you think that matters!)
+well known
+because its a campus i have my own student zone like a library, student union etc.
+the course seems fun.
+bigger population = more exposure to different people (had a rough time at sixth form and want to be social as im an extrovert at heart)
cons
-my course is not technically on campus - its across a road, i thought i would be in the design building as im taking graphic design.
-the facilities in the classrooms arent that great, which is weird for a computer and art based course.
-£600 for the softwares to be able to do my course which other unis pay for.

NUA:
pros
+beautiful city - lots of things to do: clubs, bars, cafes, museums(for art) and looks of art and art exhibitions on.
+the facilities are perfect and on point
+the accommodation is gorgeous
+higher employment rates than Lboro - 95 vs 85
cons
-smaller population = less access to people socially
-no year in industry (yet the employment is higher? does it matter? let me know)
-worried i could end up lonely in a big city as there's no student zones like a library or student union like a campus

let me know what you think! :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Subject / course?
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Subject / course?

Graphic Design - i’ll add that to the original post now :smile:
Reply 3
Hey!

I'm a Lboro student studying design (not graphic)... I can't speak for NUA, in truth I hadn't heard of it until now, but I can speak for Loughborough.

Campus is great, and especially in summer it comes alive - when its 27 degrees and everyones chilling on the lawns and having a kick about its such a good place to be, everything is on your doorstep and living in halls on campus is a great experience - with all the halls being on campus, its easy to get together with people you wouldn't normally meet with at other unis.

I'm pretty sure (but don't quote me) that a lot of computers on campus have photoshop/lightroom and all that jazz installed - I think that if you want to run it on your own machine you need to buy it, HOWEVER, there's this cool thing Lboro has which allows you to remotely access University computers through your own - I do this a lot when i'm doing CAD and don't really want to sit in the design school all night.

I wouldn't worry about the Edward Barnsley building being off campus (though it's so close it's practically on campus). Whilst it looks a bit drab on the outside, I've seen some of the equipment and rooms on the interior and I have to say its well kitted out. I think the design and art departments merged a couple years back, and so I don't see a problem with you using computers in the design school if they're higher spec.

The advice I would give though, is go where you think you'd enjoy most... you don't want to spend a boatload of money being somewhere, and not enjoy it.

If you've anymore questions about choosing, or Lboro, feel free to reply... :smile:

Hope that helps.
Reply 4
let me know what you think! :smile:

I firmed NUA in the end :biggrin:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by _aaliceg
I firmed NUA in the end :biggrin:

How is NUA? I want to apply there for next year. Is it a good city? I want to study fashion design btw

Quick Reply

Latest