The Student Room Group

Tips On Dealing With Exam Anxiety

Hi, I'm a slightly (very) stressed person doing her A levels this summer.

Although I'm getting all my work/revision done, if I don't do an extreme amount of work each day I feel nervous and guilty that I haven't spent enough time revising.

Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with anxiety and worry about exams? A levels are just really intense and they're getting to me a lot.
As a psychologist, I've noticed that students, in general, do feel stressed and anxious about exams, especially when they are as important as A levels. However, it's important to find ways to manage your stress and anxiety so that they don't become overwhelming and interfere with your ability to perform well on the exams. Here are some tips that may be helpful:

Practice relaxation techniques: Taking a few minutes each day to practice relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, meditation, or yoga can help you manage stress and anxiety.

Stay organized: Create a study schedule that is realistic and manageable, and stick to it as much as possible. This will help you feel more in control and less overwhelmed.

Get enough sleep: Make sure you are getting enough sleep each night, as lack of sleep can increase stress and anxiety levels.

Exercise: Exercise is a great way to reduce stress and anxiety, so try to incorporate physical activity into your daily routine.

Talk to someone: If you are feeling overwhelmed or anxious, talk to someone you trust, such as a friend, family member, or teacher. They may be able to offer you support and advice.

Remember that it's important to take care of yourself both physically and mentally during this time. While it's important to study and prepare for your exams, it's also important to take breaks, relax, and engage in activities that you enjoy. Taking care of yourself will help you perform at your best on the exams.

Wish you the best!
Original post by Anonymous

Although I'm getting all my work/revision done, if I don't do an extreme amount of work each day I feel nervous and guilty that I haven't spent enough time revising.

Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with anxiety and worry about exams? A levels are just really intense and they're getting to me a lot.

Hey there!

One thing I can recommend (as easy as it sounds) try taking things one day at a time. If you’re looking at the bigger picture of things it can cause more stress than it’s actually worth.

Think of it like a ladder, focus on one step at a time. If you’re doing your revision and keeping organised like using a day-to-day schedule - incorporating breaks and other things you love doing, that’s enough! Don’t let anything else make you think otherwise! Sometimes overworking yourself can lead to unnecessary stress

Suffering from anxiety myself, sometimes taking a break from social media helps me cope with stress and anxious thoughts which brings me back down to earth!

Wishing you all the best,
Ellie

As others have said:

Relaxation techniques, get enough sleep, exercise, talk to someone etc.

Just try to make some progress in revision every day, even if it's not a lot.
Thank you everyone!!

I've started doing relaxation techniques and going to the gym more often. And I already have a revision schedule. I do feel much better :smile:
Thank you everyone!!

I've started doing relaxation techniques and going to the gym more often. And I already have a revision schedule. I do feel much better :smile:

No problem, update us

Quick Reply

Latest