The Student Room Group

have you seen/heard ice cream vans this summer?

just curious to know if anyone's seen them around lately. I often see them round parks or fields but less so driving round the neighbourhood. maybe it's just where I live now, but running to the ice cream man after playing outside for hours is my favourite memory of summer time and I would hate for them to go "extinct" :smile:
Original post by Spelunker
running to the ice cream man after playing outside for hours is my favourite memory of summer time and I would hate for them to go "extinct" :smile:

The cynic in me suspects that due to road safety & insurance etc operating by the roadside isn't as popular as it was.
We get them around ours all the time.
Reply 3
I personally have, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they were on the decline due to high input prices like fuel driving up costs to the point at which the ice cream is unaffordable. Giving two children £5 for two small cones isn’t a small outing. In London there is also the ulez to consider as these are always going to be diesel vehicles
Reply 4
Original post by Trinculo
I personally have, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they were on the decline due to high input prices like fuel driving up costs to the point at which the ice cream is unaffordable. Giving two children £5 for two small cones isn’t a small outing. In London there is also the ulez to consider as these are always going to be diesel vehicles

true, I didn't think about the fuel. keeping stationary around a busy park is probably better for business. also didn't know about the diesel
not on my estate no
I heard one drive into the compound that I live in a few days ago. I may have legged it down the stairs and outside barefoot to get myself a vanilla cone with flake :ninja:
I've only really seen them at the park as opposed to on my street.

that being said, the park is across the road from my street so might have something to do with it :rofl:
Reply 8
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I heard one drive into the compound that I live in a few days ago. I may have legged it down the stairs and outside barefoot to get myself a vanilla cone with flake :ninja:

I'd do the same tbh :colondollar:
Reply 9
Original post by Spelunker
true, I didn't think about the fuel. keeping stationary around a busy park is probably better for business. also didn't know about the diesel

Even when you’re stationary, the engine needs to be on to run the refrigeration and the me whippy machine.
Reply 10
What music does your ice cream van play? A lot of people seem to say Greensleeves, but I’ve always heard “Boys and Girls Come Out to Play”
Reply 11
Original post by Trinculo
What music does your ice cream van play? A lot of people seem to say Greensleeves, but I’ve always heard “Boys and Girls Come Out to Play”

mine plays the match of the day theme tune :biggrin:

(I didn't even realise it was match of the day till I looked it up just now lol)
(edited 10 months ago)
I still hear them now and again! Always used to be one out my school in collection time I'm sure it's still there.

Quick Reply

Latest