The Student Room Group

Why are certain degrees like law/medicine considered "prestigious"?

Hi all,

I wondered why certain degrees like law/medicine are generally more respected and considered prestigious my people.

Is it the job prospects? Academic rigour? Or some other socially influenced factor?

Would be happy to hear some of your insights.
Have you asked the people who have said this to you?
I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s the degree that dictates prestige in and of itself, but more so where the degree was obtained from, the grade obtained, and and what job it leads to.

For example, is a legal clerk considered as prestigious as a lawyer? Probably not. May both have studied law.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by yunchenjinwu
Hi all,

I wondered why certain degrees like law/medicine are generally more respected and considered prestigious my people.

Is it the job prospects? Academic rigour? Or some other socially influenced factor?

Would be happy to hear some of your insights.

I wouldn't say they're considered prestigious but they're definitely considered hard and challenging. Because they are. Medicine is 5 or 6 years of university, as opposed to the standard 3, and law is an incredibly busy degree. A fun one, but very busy, a great deal of essay-writing and great deal of many many many more contact hours than most degrees.
Reply 4
Because they are 'traditional' rigorous degrees, to which it is traditionally difficult to gain admission.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Scotland Yard
I wouldn't say they're considered prestigious but they're definitely considered hard and challenging. Because they are. Medicine is 5 or 6 years of university, as opposed to the standard 3, and law is an incredibly busy degree. A fun one, but very busy, a great deal of essay-writing and great deal of many many many more contact hours than most degrees.

Not really for law having more contact hours: IMG_6784.jpeg

https://www.hepi.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Student-Academic-Experience-Survey-2023.pdf

Hmmmm... that graph is wrong or my university (Queen Mary) does things wildly differently than others. Contact hours for Law and Psychology are nearly identical in that graph but at my university they most certainly aren't. Not that I do Law but I sneak into their lectures a lot and have seen their schedule - it is much more packed than my own schedule as a Psychology student.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending