The Student Room Group

How can I go from a C to A/A* in a level maths in 1/2 months?

So I’m really frustrated with a level maths, I made a post a while ago and I have seen some improvement. I am genuinely convinced that I can achieve an A/A* on my end of year for Economics and English literature, however a level maths is a different story.

I feel like I would get a C if i did the exam, I try revising but I feel like I’m getting nowhere I know this sounds like a stretch but how can I go from a C to and A/A* (I have my exam in April 30th but I’m pretty sure we can retake it) it probably sounds like a stretch but I really need to improve.

My issues with a level maths:
1) I do have some gaps in my knowledge ie. Proof, statistics, graph transformations which I am in the process of addressing by watching TLmaths, looking through my textbook, trying physics and maths tutor questions after I plan on finishing that this weekend even if it takes a couple all nighters
2) I really struggle with the new specification - (OCR-mei) emphasis on problem solving and modelling old specification is more direct I wish they kept it like that :frown:
3) I have an issue with exam questions specifically putting all my knowledge together, eg. Some modelling question contain trigonometry or some other chapter which makes it even more confusing

How can I address all of this most efficiently before the 30th of April?

Do you guys have any motivating success stories of improvements like this?

I want A*/A*/A at least due to me wanting to go to Baths, UCL or imperial for economics. I do extracurriculars and got an interview for target bath, hopefully that goes well :smile: and I also do work experience and seminars etc.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 1
Original post by JD094b
So I’m really frustrated with a level maths, I made a post a while ago and I have seen some improvement. I am genuinely convinced that I can achieve an A/A* on my end of year for Economics and English literature, however a level maths is a different story.
I feel like I would get a C if i did the exam, I try revising but I feel like I’m getting nowhere I know this sounds like a stretch but how can I go from a C to and A/A* (I have my exam in April 30th but I’m pretty sure we can retake it) it probably sounds like a stretch but I really need to improve.
1) I do have some gaps in my knowledge ie. Proof, statistics, graph transformations which I am in the process of addressing by watching TLmaths, looking through my textbook, trying physics and maths tutor questions after I plan on finishing that this weekend even if it takes a couple all nighters
2) I really struggle with the new specification - (OCR-mei) emphasis on problem solving and modelling old specification is more direct I wish they kept it like that :frown:
3) I have an issue with exam questions specifically putting all my knowledge together, eg. Some modelling question contain trigonometry or some other chapter which makes it even more confusing
I want A*/A*/A at least due to me wanting to go to Baths, UCL or imperial for economics. I do extracurriculars and got an interview for target bath, hopefully that goes well :smile: and I also do work experience and seminars etc.
It's not a stretch, don't worry - I went from getting Ds to A*s in 2 months. What worked for me is doing lots of practice questions - that's it. As you are exposed to more questions, you will start to get the hang of the problemsolving aspect. It's really important to do active learning (practicing) rather than passive learning (reading) (although of course if you have gaps in your knowledge you have to read about it before you do the questions). I understand this is what you're doing, and that's great! Keep at it and you WILL get there. Also, make sure to take care of your health - having a good night's sleep will prep your brain for problem solving. I know this isn't drastically different advice, but if it's any consolation, I was doing practice questions and everything else you're doing for MONTHS and getting Ds. It was only in the final 2 months that I was able to improve, because all of the knowledge finally accumulated. So, don't worry, you're not alone in this, and I hope you get the grade you want! Keep going and you'll do it :smile:
Don't overthink, just practice like crazy and don't waste your time. You can get a lot of work done in that time frame. Complete all the questions in your textbooks (think 1-2 chapters per day), and then move on to doing as many past papers as you physically can. Keep practising, you will get better.
Reply 3
Original post by tesss5
It's not a stretch, don't worry - I went from getting Ds to A*s in 2 months. What worked for me is doing lots of practice questions - that's it. As you are exposed to more questions, you will start to get the hang of the problemsolving aspect. It's really important to do active learning (practicing) rather than passive learning (reading) (although of course if you have gaps in your knowledge you have to read about it before you do the questions). I understand this is what you're doing, and that's great! Keep at it and you WILL get there. Also, make sure to take care of your health - having a good night's sleep will prep your brain for problem solving. I know this isn't drastically different advice, but if it's any consolation, I was doing practice questions and everything else you're doing for MONTHS and getting Ds. It was only in the final 2 months that I was able to improve, because all of the knowledge finally accumulated. So, don't worry, you're not alone in this, and I hope you get the grade you want! Keep going and you'll do it :smile:
I have no idea who you are but gosh I am so incredibly proud of you!! Going from a D to an A*?? Honestly you are an absolute academic weapon :smile: that gave me so much motivation! I will finish filling my knowledge gaps and then I will go through as many practice questions, thank you!!
Reply 4
Original post by Vesti La Giubba
Don't overthink, just practice like crazy and don't waste your time. You can get a lot of work done in that time frame. Complete all the questions in your textbooks (think 1-2 chapters per day), and then move on to doing as many past papers as you physically can. Keep practising, you will get better.
Thank you!!
Reply 5
Original post by JD094b
I have no idea who you are but gosh I am so incredibly proud of you!! Going from a D to an A*?? Honestly you are an absolute academic weapon :smile: that gave me so much motivation! I will finish filling my knowledge gaps and then I will go through as many practice questions, thank you!!
Thank you! Good luck!! Don't feel demotivated if you see no progress at first - it will come!
Reply 6
Original post by JD094b
Oh, and I forgot to mention! I recommend writing down every reason you don't get questions right in the same place. For example, it might be that you didn't think of doing it in a certain way, or you didn't read the question properly, or you made a sign error, or you forgot to write a conclusion etc. Writing this down allows you to notice what exactly you're doing wrong. Also, having it in the same place makes it easy for you to refresh your memory of what you sometimes do wrong in an exam, before you do an exam.
Just to tag on, it's absolutely worthwhile learning how to check your answers for questions that allow it. This might be through the use of your calculator, alternative methods of solving, or sketching where you can to see if what you've come up with makes sense.. Of course it takes up additional time, but if you have spare time, doing so can help you catch silly mistakes.
The website I use is for Edexcel content but I do AQA and it's still extremely helpful! It's called DrFrost and I could not recommend it enough! I'm pretty sure you can sign up for free if you click you want to sign up without a school and it has so many questions for absolutely every topic year 1 and 2 and it marks it as you go, if you get it wrong it gives you the mark scheme which you can use to answer the rest.
In october time i was told a B was quite unrealistic to achieve but I did a past paper just this week and ended up with an A, so honestly practice, practice, practice and DrFrost is definitely a life saver!
Reply 9
Original post by tesss5
Did you do your a levels exams in 2023 by any chance and also which ones did you do?
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 10
aaaa

Quick Reply

Latest