The Student Room Group

a level revision help

at the moment i find myself with zero motivation, i'm worried i won't get my grades, i need to start the final grind but i'm terrified...

is anyone else in the same situation as me? i would really appreciate any revision advice (e.g. what to cover each revision session, how to pace myself, what should i be covering right now) and any general advice (hours of study a week, work life balance, mental health)

i take spanish and chemistry (edexcel), and biology (aqa). all my exams are in june so i have the whole of may free. really need some advice so if anyone stumbles across this i would love some help :smile:
Original post by alspals2006
at the moment i find myself with zero motivation, i'm worried i won't get my grades, i need to start the final grind but i'm terrified...

is anyone else in the same situation as me? i would really appreciate any revision advice (e.g. what to cover each revision session, how to pace myself, what should i be covering right now) and any general advice (hours of study a week, work life balance, mental health)

i take spanish and chemistry (edexcel), and biology (aqa). all my exams are in june so i have the whole of may free. really need some advice so if anyone stumbles across this i would love some help :smile:

I’ve felt like this all year its only recently I found the motivation, i do bio , chem and psych

I got offers at uni and thats motivated me cause this is really the final hurdle, do you have anything your looking forward to? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by eallistar
I got offers at uni and thats motivated me cause this is really the final hurdle, do you have anything your looking forward to? :smile:
i have offers as well which has motivated me slightly. my biggest issue is that even at gcse i didn't revise much and i did very well - but now at a level i am worried i will revise similar amounts to how i did at gcse, but i know that won't be enough to secure me the right grades. i go into revision sessions with intention but end up overly stressed and unproductive. this isn't working and i'm getting more worried as time passes :bawling:

Hey @alspals2006 :smile:

Throughout my time as a student I found maintaining that motivation so difficult as well, I think things like staying organised, having a good work-life balance can really help. I thought I'd just share some useful apps that might help you. OneNote is great for staying organised as you can have different notebooks for your different alevel subjects, sections for each different topics etc. Also, Google Keep is great for quick notes and reminders.

Trello is good for managing all your tasks and to-do lists, you can add due dates, track your progress with things. I always find being able to visualise my progress helps with staying motivated to complete a task :smile:

When I was studying for my a-levels, I'd use Quizlet a lot, as it just made it more fun being able to create flashcards and quizzes, and helped me memorise things quicker.

If you're like me and get distracted a lot, then I'd recommend Forest, which helps you avoid any distractions by planting a virtual tree!

It's just really important to remember to find a good work-life balance and make sure you prioritise your mental health and wellbeing. You don't wanna experience burn out. Make sure you get plenty of rest, eat good food, get a good nights sleep, go outside for a walk and get fresh air. I'd also say to plan something fun in the future to look forward to after the studying is done, it can be a reward then for all your hard work and it gives you a goal to look forward to! :smile:

Becky
Original post by eallistar
I’ve felt like this all year its only recently I found the motivation, i do bio , chem and psych

I do these aswell, are u in y12?
Original post by Sharpie781
I do these aswell, are u in y12?

Y13
Hi
Can anyone advise me on what I should do
I felt I knew the content when I did the past paper I only got a c
Sometimes I did not finish in the time given
I’m disappointed
Does that mean I will get a c on the final exam
Because I need an A
Please any tip advice
Chemistry and biology

Hi @alspals2006,

I did biology and chemistry during my a-levels as well, hopefully my tips can be useful to you:

1) Specification points: For both subjects I consistently referred back to my spec points to help pace and guide my revision sessions. I pretty much used the specification as a checklist, assuring that in I covered the bullet points under each topic.

2) Revision schedule: This helped me loads with managing my revision. This is where I would work alongside the specification and block out times in my day to cover the topics in the specification. Another tip I was given by my tutor was to not make my revision "time-based" and instead make it "goal-based". Instead of planning to revise for 1-2 hours, my goal would be to revise 2-4 topics. This would include refining any notes and doing past paper questions.

3) Maths: Another important tip is to not neglect your maths and practical skills, as there is literally an entire section dedicated to these two areas. Ensure you are familiar using the formulas listed in the spec points. Once you become familiar with the maths, they often become quite repetitive and easy to do- lots of practice questions will secure you those marks in the exam. In terms of practicals, it's important to pay attention to the details- how equipment is set up, which chemicals are used and at which order etc... You might also be expected to draw diagrams of the experiment.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest