The Student Room Group

I can't get a job

Hey all so iv been unemployed for over a yr now cos I can't seem to get a job anywhere.
Iv got a master's and bachelor's degree's in computer science from Greenwich university so I want a programming job but m not good at programming any more but I don't have the will to do another course either.
I want a work from home job and iv applied for customer service ones too but they reject me.
Iv had some interviews but they never go well for me either.
I just feel like no one likes me.
Now I feel scared to apply and go for interviews cos iv had so many rejections.
And if I ever do manage to get a job again then m scared to do it cos it's been so long since iv had a job and I always mess up.
I just dunno what to do anymore??
(edited 1 month ago)
my job hunt was 3 years (366 applications). you have to go thru hardship like me to earn your stripes young man
Reply 2
Original post by cherlloydfan1
Hey all so iv been unemployed for over a yr now cos I can't seem to get a job anywhere.
Iv got a master's and bachelor's degree's in computer science from Greenwich university so I want a programming job but m not good at programming any more but I don't have the will to do another course either.
I want a work from home job and iv applied for customer service ones too but they reject me.
Iv had some interviews but they never go well for me either.
I just feel like no one likes me.
Now I feel scared to apply and go for interviews cos iv had so many rejections.
And if I ever do manage to get a job again then m scared to do it cos it's been so long since iv had a job and I always mess up.
I just dunno what to do anymore??

You need to up your skills whether you like it or not, but also, I think you need to be a bit more targetted. What type of computing job do you want? There are lots but none are generic. Do you want to be a webby developer (Java / C# / Javascript) or do you want to do systems (C++) or defence or government contracts etc etc. You need to do your research and then whilst you are not working, why not work on a project? You must have come across some ideas of things that could be solved by coding? You could go to hackerthons and generally just get involved. Also, make sure that any work you do make is published on your website linked to from your CV.

I've already mentioned it but be really targeted. You are much more likely to get a job if you offer the skills required for the roll rather than just a generic "this is me" application. Make sure as many of the keywords from the application are in your CV and tailor your CV to each application. This is especially true if you apply for jobs through an agent.

Are you prepared to move away from where you are living now? Broadening your search may help. I know you want to work at home, but honestly, at the start of your career and given the demotivation you have shown in this post, I can't see how this of benefit to you or the company that employs you. Put remote working down to a future aim rather than now and just do whatever is required to secure that first vital role.

But number one - employers want specific skills. To gain an interview you must show that you have those skills but be warned, they will figure out very quickly if you don't have them and they don't exist to train you up in the first instance.

Good luck!
(edited 3 weeks ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending