The Student Room Group

Further maths ?????????

I’m currently taking an early year off. . I will be repeating year 13 so kind of on a gap year this year . I’m planning on doing further AS maths just wondering if it too late to get prepared for 2025 exams considering I have 3 other alevel which inc econ and maths . Is it not possible to go over further maths AS in like a month considering I have nothing else to do
Original post by high-fiber-organ
I’m currently taking an early year off. . I will be repeating year 13 so kind of on a gap year this year . I’m planning on doing further AS maths just wondering if it too late to get prepared for 2025 exams considering I have 3 other alevel which inc econ and maths . Is it not possible to go over further maths AS in like a month considering I have nothing else to do

You say, "I’m planning on doing further AS maths just wondering if it too late to get prepared for 2025 exams". Did you mean 2025? Summer 2025? An AS course is designed to take one year, so given that the summer 2025 exams are more than a year of way, you have plenty of time.

However, you then as, "Is it not possible to go over further maths AS in like a month" which makes me think you might be considering trying to take AS Further Maths this May/June. Is that what you were thinking? An AS exam is designed to required a nominal 180 "guided learning hours". If you were to treat it as a standard 9-to-5 job, and work 40 hours per week, you could exceed that 180 hours in a month.

Note that doing this will be very intensive, and will not be for everyone. Also note that you will need to hurry if you want to register for exams this summer. Check with whatever exam board you were thinking of using, but you've almost certainly missed the normal entry deadline (which will have been around 21 February). You can likely still enter for another month or so, but there will be a "late entry fee".

Were you going to sit this privately? Or via the school/college which you kind of still at, but kind of on a gap year from?
Original post by DataVenia
You say, "I’m planning on doing further AS maths just wondering if it too late to get prepared for 2025 exams". Did you mean 2025? Summer 2025? An AS course is designed to take one year, so given that the summer 2025 exams are more than a year of way, you have plenty of time.
However, you then as, "Is it not possible to go over further maths AS in like a month" which makes me think you might be considering trying to take AS Further Maths this May/June. Is that what you were thinking? An AS exam is designed to required a nominal 180 "guided learning hours". If you were to treat it as a standard 9-to-5 job, and work 40 hours per week, you could exceed that 180 hours in a month.
Note that doing this will be very intensive, and will not be for everyone. Also note that you will need to hurry if you want to register for exams this summer. Check with whatever exam board you were thinking of using, but you've almost certainly missed the normal entry deadline (which will have been around 21 February). You can likely still enter for another month or so, but there will be a "late entry fee".
Were you going to sit this privately? Or via the school/college which you kind of still at, but kind of on a gap year from?

I’m going to do it in 2025 as I a have to take a year out due to my health and in a way I thought that I might aswell do it as I have nothing to lose like even if I get a C I would be happy . It’s just that I don’t know which combination to do ? I’m doing it privately so I need to enter but don’t have a clue on which combination of fm to pick . And also pl around keep saying to me that AS won’t have an impact on my application at all and entire alevel is much better but I don’t know if I can do year 2 I feel like that would be me sabotaging myself
I’m going to do it in 2025 as I a have to take a year out due to my health and in a way I thought that I might aswell do it as I have nothing to lose like even if I get a C I would be happy . It’s just that I don’t know which combination to do ? I’m doing it privately so I need to enter but don’t have a clue on which combination of fm to pick . And also pl around keep saying to me that AS won’t have an impact on my application at all and entire alevel is much better but I don’t know if I can do year 2 I feel like that would be me sabotaging myself

Well, the "pl around" have a point, in that many universities will pay no attention whatsoever to your AS level - although some will. Do you know what degree subject you might ultimately apply for? Or, even better, what universities you might apply to?
Well, the "pl around" have a point, in that many universities will pay no attention whatsoever to your AS level - although some will. Do you know what degree subject you might ultimately apply for? Or, even better, what universities you might apply to?

The issue is LSE have clearly stated that they see AS as highly desirable. Fm isn’t even in the entry requirement but I just want to do AS to have an advantage. So I don’t see point in doing entire course when I won’t be applying to a degree that requires it and has large sum of fm in it . I would be wasting my time

Also how have I already missed the deadline for entry of AS 2025 exams ??
The issue is LSE have clearly stated that they see AS as highly desirable. Fm isn’t even in the entry requirement but I just want to do AS to have an advantage. So I don’t see point in doing entire course when I won’t be applying to a degree that requires it and has large sum of fm in it . I would be wasting my time

OK. I assume you realise that this is the first time you've mentioned LSE? I wrote earlier that "many universities will pay no attention whatsoever to your AS level - although some will". LSE is part of the "some will" group. :smile:

Given that you want to apply to LSE, and that you've established that AS level Further Mathematics will help you, then your comment earlier that "pl around keep saying to me that AS won’t have an impact on my application at all" is strange. You know where you want to apply, and the impact that AS Further Mathematics might have. So why are you listening to "pl around"?

Also how have I already missed the deadline for entry of AS 2025 exams ??

You haven't. You asked earlier, "Is it not possible to go over further maths AS in like a month". This lead me to think that you might be planning to attempt to study AS level Further Maths in a month in order to take it this year.

My guess now is that your plan is to learn AS Further Maths "in like a month" at some point between now and your retake of Year 13 starts in September, and then hope that you remember it for the summer 2025 exams. Have I got that right? If so, then you're absolutely fine with regards to deadlines.
OK. I assume you realise that this is the first time you've mentioned LSE? I wrote earlier that "many universities will pay no attention whatsoever to your AS level - although some will". LSE is part of the "some will" group. :smile:
Given that you want to apply to LSE, and that you've established that AS level Further Mathematics will help you, then your comment earlier that "pl around keep saying to me that AS won’t have an impact on my application at all" is strange. You know where you want to apply, and the impact that AS Further Mathematics might have. So why are you listening to "pl around"?
You haven't. You asked earlier, "Is it not possible to go over further maths AS in like a month". This lead me to think that you might be planning to attempt to study AS level Further Maths in a month in order to take it this year.
My guess now is that your plan is to learn AS Further Maths "in like a month" at some point between now and your retake of Year 13 starts in September, and then hope that you remember it for the summer 2025 exams. Have I got that right? If so, then you're absolutely fine with regards to deadlines.

I will be doing my all my exams in 2025 as I’m currently ill and require treatment . So since I’m applying next year I thought why not do AS like I have nothing lose considering that I wasn’t able to study fm at school as the deadline to change subjects was early and we as a year group realised tooo late . Doing AS seems advantageous as a uni advisor person on student room said AS is important bc it’s shows u managed to do an exam with year of work . Apart from that it says in description of the the course I want to study that AS is highly desirable. So I thought I might aswell do it and gain a grade but some of my older friends in Russel group unis keep putting me down saying there’s no point . And also was wondering if I even wanted to do AS fm exam in 2025 has the entry already closed ?
I will be doing my all my exams in 2025 as I’m currently ill and require treatment . So since I’m applying next year I thought why not do AS like I have nothing lose considering that I wasn’t able to study fm at school as the deadline to change subjects was early and we as a year group realised tooo late . Doing AS seems advantageous as a uni advisor person on student room said AS is important bc it’s shows u managed to do an exam with year of work . Apart from that it says in description of the the course I want to study that AS is highly desirable. So I thought I might aswell do it and gain a grade but some of my older friends in Russel group unis keep putting me down saying there’s no point . And also was wondering if I even wanted to do AS fm exam in 2025 has the entry already closed ?

OK, last point first. The deadline for being entered for May/June 2025 exams will likely be in February 2025 - the exact date may vary according to your exam board. I mentioned the deadline earlier as you'd said you were planning to study it within a month, which could have meant you were trying to take it this year. Thank you for confirming that you are not.

As to what some of your older friends are saying, have they checked the entry requirements at LSE (for whatever course you're thinking of applying for - which you've yet to mention)? You have, and you've concluded that "LSE have clearly stated that they see AS as highly desirable". So why do you care what your older friends say when LSE say otherwise?
OK, last point first. The deadline for being entered for May/June 2025 exams will likely be in February 2025 - the exact date may vary according to your exam board. I mentioned the deadline earlier as you'd said you were planning to study it within a month, which could have meant you were trying to take it this year. Thank you for confirming that you are not.
As to what some of your older friends are saying, have they checked the entry requirements at LSE (for whatever course you're thinking of applying for - which you've yet to mention)? You have, and you've concluded that "LSE have clearly stated that they see AS as highly desirable". So why do you care what your older friends say when LSE say otherwise?

U are correct thankyou it’s just that I care for some reason a lot about what other pl say . And for one month thing I meant that would it be possible for me to cover AS fm in one month as I am currently in a gap year - kind of as I had to stop going school due to health

Quick Reply

Latest