The Student Room Group

A* in a level English

Hi any revision tips to go from a B to an A* between now and the real exams? (Less than 2 months away!)

I do Edexcel A Level English Literature.

Drama - Streetcar Named Desire & Othello
Prose - Handmaids and Frankenstein
Poetry - Poems of the Decade and John Keats Poetry

This is urgent! I am stressing!!!!!!!!!
HELP
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Reply 1
Original post by nessa17
Hi any revision tips to go from a B to an A* between now and the real exams? (Less than 2 months away!)
Drama - Streetcar Named Desire & King Lear
HELP

I do the exact same texts so hopefully I should be of some help!

What I do for revising content is use LitCharts, Physics and Maths Tutor, Cliffsnotes and Sparksnotes. Then I either make mind maps or posters of key themes and characters.

For quotes I use quizlet and flash cards.

I use mind maps for context behind the prose texts and the drama texts.

For essay practice I recommend looking up past paper questions and planning answers to them. Then give it to your teacher to check over it and revise the AO points for each exam.

If you have any more questions on anything I’ve missed just let me know :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by m0lly_e
What I do for revising content is use LitCharts, Physics and Maths Tutor, Cliffsnotes and Sparksnotes. Then I either make mind maps or posters of key themes and characters.
For essay practice I recommend looking up past paper questions and planning answers to them. Then give it to your teacher to check over it and revise the AO points for each exam.

Do you do the same for poetry? I really don't know how to revise for it. Also do you think I could go up two grades using these techniques now? Or is it too late.
Also thank you so much for the revision techniques, I never have known how to revise for English.
Reply 3
Yup I do the same for poetry too! I truly think you would be able to go up at least 1 grade embedding your learning in this way. If you truly want to push yourself hard to an A* I think practice essays is the best way to do it in order to get used to the exam style. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by m0lly_e
Yup I do the same for poetry too! I truly think you would be able to go up at least 1 grade embedding your learning in this way. If you truly want to push yourself hard to an A* I think practice essays is the best way to do it in order to get used to the exam style. :smile:
Thankyou so much!! Really appreciate it.
Right now for poetry I have been reannotating each poem and I don't really think that was working well for me so I'll be sure to try these techniques out.
What other subjects do you study?

Also, how do you memorise the content?
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Reply 5
No worries at all :smile:! I also study History and Fine Art, what about you? And for content what I usually do is break it down into themes.

For poetry I use LitCharts to find the themes and notes on them because I feel like it’s much more manageable then looking at the general overall content.

My best advice would be break it down as much as you can so for example for ‘Journal from a Disappointed Man’ I would explore the theme of Masculinity, Communication, and the Class divide all individually. Then you’re set for covering most of the content in slow increments as well as putting in great practice for essay planning!
Reply 6
Original post by m0lly_e
No worries at all :smile:! I also study History and Fine Art, what about you? And for content what I usually do is break it down into themes.
For poetry I use LitCharts to find the themes and notes on them because I feel like it’s much more manageable then looking at the general overall content.
My best advice would be break it down as much as you can so for example for ‘Journal from a Disappointed Man’ I would explore the theme of Masculinity, Communication, and the Class divide all individually. Then you’re set for covering most of the content in slow increments as well as putting in great practice for essay planning!

I also study Biology and Chemistry.
I never thought of dividing the content like that. Wow thank you so much!
Original post by nessa17
Drama - Streetcar Named Desire & Othello
HELP

hi, so I'm a first year student at university now, and I understand how stressful this time was for me last year. I leaped from a C to an A* so I just wanted to offer my notes for English, for your drama texts, and poems of decade - and even some of my A*essay plans! If you're interested, please message - I would love to answer any questions you may have x
Original post by m0lly_e

Hey, where do you find useful context for prose and drama??
Original post by stunning-individ
hi, so I'm a first year student at university now, and I understand how stressful this time was for me last year. I leaped from a C to an A* so I just wanted to offer my notes for English, for your drama texts, and poems of decade - and even some of my A*essay plans! If you're interested, please message - I would love to answer any questions you may have x

Hi do you happen to know any tips for Oxford Int'l AQA Literature? Specifically poetry (the theme is 'Places in literary texts) and Death of a Salesman. I'm barely getting a B right now and I'm hoping to get an A.
Original post by stunning-individ

hey, can i also message? i have mocks shortly and would love to get an A*! x
Original post by swiftielover22
hey, can i also message? i have mocks shortly and would love to get an A*! x

yes if you want to see a preview of notes just email me at [email protected] - not my real email obv xx i'd love to answer any questions you might have x
Reply 12
Original post by anonymous2980
Hey, where do you find useful context for prose and drama??

Physics and Maths Tutor and York Notes textbooks are amazing for context!
Reply 13
Thank you so much this will be so helpful I've been very stressed.
Emailing right now!! Please reply!

Quick Reply

Latest