The Student Room Group

Psychology Internship

Hi there,
I am a first year undergraduate studying Psychology. I am trying to look for internships within London (where I live) for a first year wanting to develop my psychology knowledge. However, most websites are asking for a higher degree status. I was just wondering if anyone could advise me or recommend any wesbites I could apply for first year? I was hoping to do this internship for summer 2024. Thank you :smile:)
Original post by i6Saff
Hi there,
I am a first year undergraduate studying Psychology. I am trying to look for internships within London (where I live) for a first year wanting to develop my psychology knowledge. However, most websites are asking for a higher degree status. I was just wondering if anyone could advise me or recommend any wesbites I could apply for first year? I was hoping to do this internship for summer 2024. Thank you :smile:)

Hello! Unfortunately it can be quite difficult to gain experience in the psychology field as an undergrad. However, this does not mean it's impossible! I would recommend reaching out to lecturers, your careers department, academic advisors etc at your university as they may have connections or ideas for where you could look. You could also try asking some of the PhD students if they need help with their research, I gained a spot helping out on a really interesting topic by just starting a conversation with a PhD student and asking if he had anything for me to do! If you can't find an internship specifically, you may be able to find some charity work that fits your interests, depending on what fields you are looking for.
Good luck, and don't be disheartened if you don't find anything this year!
-Kat (2nd year psychology undergraduate at Lancaster University)
Original post by i6Saff
Hi there,

Hello there,

The single best place to look for psychology internships is at your university's careers and jobs service. However, paid internships in psychology are very hard (if not borderline impossible) to find, in which case you might also consider volunteering - again, your university is a great place to ask about this, but internet is your friend as well (try volunteering with a mental health charity or programmes like https://www.reachoutuk.org/). And with a little bit of luck, you can contact your lecturers and ask if you could potentially assist them in their research.

Hope this is useful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest