The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Er... dude? The question was rhetorical and meant as a joke only :p:. What do I know about the guitar? Next to nothing.
Reply 3601
Demon_AS
Er... dude? The question was rhetorical and meant as a joke only :p:. What do I know about the guitar? Next to nothing.

Now I look like a pedantic fool! ARGH! :p:
Reply 3602
Ok here's one. Who's ever heard Victor Smolski, the lead guitarist for Rage - A thrashy power metal band from Germany, NOT the rapcore band with Tom Morello:p:?!

He's one of the freshest most original soloists I've heard in a while and I drift in and out of phases of listening to Rage for weeks at a time! His father is Dmitry Smolski, world renound Russian composer of Baroque! - So naturally Victor is well endowed in his theory and technique.

Well one of the techniques he encorporates a lot during his soloing is the old... flicking between 2 pickups even though one of them is turned off or has the volume set to 0! So you get that quick on-off effect.

Check the first notes of the solo on a Rage song called 'Down' off the 'Unity album, the video of which you'll find on Youtube. And also check the solo on 'War of Worlds' on the Soundchaser album(no video for this one!).

It's a very neat effect, I love it, very original.

I'd like to use it myself but my guitar only has a master volume knob and a master tone knob, so I'm turn the volume of one pick up to 0 and switch between them - so, does anyone know if there's a way to mod my guitar so I CAN do that, or if not - how costly would it be to have an extra volume knob fitted for one pickup?

OH I have an effect called Textrem on my Vox Effects board which KIND of emulates the effect, but it's just not the same! I'm sure he probably uses production techniques to do it on the album, because in some cases he doesn't do it live as it's done on the album because fast soloing whilst messing with pickup selectors can be tricky!
Mush
Now I look like a pedantic fool! ARGH! :p:
Nah, you just know what you're talking about. I'm the fool, my friend, not you.
Reply 3604
Hey guys, don't know if you remember my post a while ago about my new amp. Well I finally got it a couple of weeks back and now that the exams have finished I've had chance to do some recording.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=5527455&q=hi

There it is. The drums are a bit dodgy in places because I'm not a real drummer but whatever. let me know what you think.
Vector: I've always been m4dly skilled :hubba:. Thanks for the rep :wink:.

Alex_K: I would listen to your clip right now, but I can't as we're all watching something on TV. I will listen to it ASAP though :biggrin:
Reply 3606
^o) :p:

Good stuff Alex_K :top: How did you record it?
Reply 3607
SM57/8 mics---->tascam soundcard audio interface thing--->Laptop---->Cubasis VST 3
Reply 3608
More advanced than my guitar-->amp-->soundcard-->audacity rig then :p:
Reply 3609
nope not really. The only difference is in the software and I use mics rather than going directly in to the soundcard.
Ah, the good old 57 and 58. Nothing like a bit of classic dynamic mic action!
Reply 3611
Of course :wink:

:ninja:
I just have a mic and audacity :getmecoat.

Very nice job, Alex_K! :top: I like it :smile:.
Reply 3613
You're using Audacity now? I thought you didn't like it?
Eh? I've always used Audacity to record my covers...

What ever gave you the impression I didn't like it? :confused:.
Reply 3615
Maybe it was someone else... Could have sworn it was you :s-smilie:
Nope, ever since SunburnedCactus introduced me to it, I've been using it faithfully :smile:.
Reply 3617
Good stuff :biggrin:
Damn straight :biggrin: :five:.
Reply 3619
What's the guitar news then?

Latest