The Student Room Group

French Essay

My french isn't that good, so using a dictionary I wrote an essay on my hobbies in french. My teacher told me that it needs to flow more and just generally improve and that I had to re-write it. So could someone with good knowledge of french please translate this? I will be very grateful, and it will help me learn french for the future so that i can attempt an essay like this on my own later. Thanks, Also please don't just use google translate. The essay:

When I have free time I enjoy to play a lot of different sports. My favourite sport is football as it is very interesting and exhilarating. Usually I play football in the park with my friends on the weekends, however this week we decided to play basketball instead which pleased me, as I have always been interested in it. My friends and I sometimes also go to the cinema, sometimes we watch horror films as these are the ones I enjoy watching most. My friends don't really like them however, and that's why we usually watch action films.
Another of my hobbies is visiting different museums and learning about other countries and traditions. Two weeks ago, my parents and I flew to france to visit the louvre. It was amazing! I loved all of the paintings and other works of art on display there, especially the Mona Lisa as it looked life-like. After we had visited the Louvre, my parents decided to go on a walk around Paris. We went to a lot of different monuments, notably the Eiffel Tower, and the Arc de Triomphe. I did not like going on the Eiffel Tower as it was raining at the time and you couldn't see anything! And the visit to the Arc de Triomphe was also dissappointing as there was not that much to see there.
Next year my parents and I plan to go to Paris and visit the Eiffel Tower again. Hopefully this time the weather will be better, and I will enjoy it more. We also plan to go to Disney Land as it has been one of the places I have wanted to go to for ages. I can't wait until we go there, as many of my friends who have been there told me about it. In the future I also hope to start up some new hobbies, such as golf or tennis as both seem quite interesting, and my teacher has recommended them for me.
use the site wordrefference.com/
it helps a lot
Reply 2
Original post by raphastar1
use the site wordrefference.com/
it helps a lot

Reply 3
Watch French news:
http://www.bfmtv.com/mediaplayer/live-video/
http://www.itele.fr/direct

Read French newspapers:
http://www.lefigaro.fr/international/ (right)
http://www.lemonde.fr/international/ (center)
http://www.liberation.fr/monde,10 (left)
It's maybe better to start with the international section, as you already know the situation from British media.

You can also take a look at the Sports newspaper: http://www.lequipe.fr/
Watch French football on French channels (search for them on streaming websites).

Try this resource for translation: http://www.linguee.fr/
Reply 4
Here are some useful phrases:

During my free time: pendant mon temps libre
I play: je joue
I go: je vais
I love: j'aime
I hate: je déteste
To watch: regarder
However: cependant/ en revanche
Usually: d'habitude/ normalement
Disappointing: décevant
Amazing: extraordinaire

Negative sentence structure: ne + conjugated verb + pas. E.g. Je ne sais pas: I don't know. Je n'achète pas: I don't buy
Past structure: I have (j'ai)/ you have (tu as)/ he has (il a)/ we have (nous avons)/ they have (ils avez) + past participle
Future (simple): subject + regular verb infinitive (jouer)+ avoir conjugated. E.g. je jouerai/ tu joueras
So you want someone to translate this for you, and not use Google Translate?

A great person said: "DIY."
SOZ that was mean. Just kidding. ask ur teacher for some good techniques.
Original post by Frstu
When I have free time I enjoy to play a lot of different sports. My favourite sport is football as it is very interesting and exhilarating. Usually I play football in the park with my friends on the weekends, however this week we decided to play basketball instead which pleased me, as I have always been interested in it. My friends and I sometimes also go to the cinema, sometimes we watch horror films as these are the ones I enjoy watching most. My friends don't really like them however, and that's why we usually watch action films.
Another of my hobbies is visiting different museums and learning about other countries and traditions. Two weeks ago, my parents and I flew to france to visit the louvre. It was amazing! I loved all of the paintings and other works of art on display there, especially the Mona Lisa as it looked life-like. After we had visited the Louvre, my parents decided to go on a walk around Paris. We went to a lot of different monuments, notably the Eiffel Tower, and the Arc de Triomphe. I did not like going on the Eiffel Tower as it was raining at the time and you couldn't see anything! And the visit to the Arc de Triomphe was also dissappointing as there was not that much to see there.
Next year my parents and I plan to go to Paris and visit the Eiffel Tower again. Hopefully this time the weather will be better, and I will enjoy it more. We also plan to go to Disney Land as it has been one of the places I have wanted to go to for ages. I can't wait until we go there, as many of my friends who have been there told me about it. In the future I also hope to start up some new hobbies, such as golf or tennis as both seem quite interesting, and my teacher has recommended them for me.

I'll translate it, but bear in mind that if this is for a controlled assessment and they check it for plagiarism then it may flag up. (In other words, this is my work and you can't palm it off as your own to the exam board.)

Quand j'ai du temps libre j'aime jouer à toute une gamme de sports. Mon sport préféré, c'est le foot, parce que c'est très intéressant et excitant. D'habite je joue au foot dans le parc avec mes amis le weekend, cependant cette semaine nous avons décidé de jouer plutôt au basket, ce qui me plaisait car il m'a toujours intéressé(e). De temps en temps, mes amis et moi, nous allons au cinéma, de temps en temps nous voyons les films d'horreur car ils sont ceux que je préfère voir. Cependant mes amis ne les aiment beaucoup, et cela est pourquoi nous voyons d'habitude les films d'action.

Un autre de mes passe-temps est de visiter les musées différents et d'apprendre des autres cultures et traditions. Il y a deux semaines, mes parents et moi, nous sommes allés en France en avion pour visiter le Musée du Louvre. C'était incroyable! J'ai aimé toutes les peintures et les autres oeuvres d'art y exposés (???), surtout la Joconde car elle a semblé vivante. Après visiter le Louvre, mes parents ont décidé de faire une promenade à travers Paris. Nous avons visités beaucoup de monuments, particulièrement la Tour Eiffel et l'Arc de Triomphe. Je n'aimais pas visiter la Tour Eiffel car il pleuvait et on ne pouvait rien voir. Le visite à l'Arc de Triomphe était aussi décevant car il n'y avait beaucoup d'y voir.

L'année prochaine mes parents et moi, nous envisageons d'aller à Paris et de visiter la Tour Eiffel encore une fois. J'espère que le temps fasse beau et que j'en apprécie plus. Nous envisageons d'aller à Disneyland aussi parce qu'il est depuis longtemps l'un des lieux que j'aimerais visiter. J'ai hâte d'y aller, car beaucoup de mes amis qui y ont aller m'ont raconté.

Dans l'avenir j'espère aussi de commencer à faire de nouveaux passe-temps comme le golf ou le tennis car les deux semblent assez intéressants, et mon prof me les a recommandés.
Applause for you! That takes effort and commitment to write all that out!!!
Original post by Frstu
My french isn't that good, so using a dictionary I wrote an essay on my hobbies in french. My teacher told me that it needs to flow more and just generally improve and that I had to re-write it. So could someone with good knowledge of french please translate this? I will be very grateful, and it will help me learn french for the future so that i can attempt an essay like this on my own later. Thanks, Also please don't just use google translate. The essay:

Quand j'ai du temps libre, j'aime faire beaucoup de différents sports. Mon sport préféré, c'est le foot comme c'est très intéressant et exaltant. Normalement, je joue au foot dans le parc avec mes amis pendant les week-ends, pourtant cette semaine nous avons décidé de jouer au basket à la place, ce qui m'a plu comme je m'y suis toujours intéressé. Mes amis et moi allons aussi au cinéma quelquefois, et parfois nous regardons les films d'horreur comme ce sont eux que j'aime regarder le plus. Mes amis ne les aiment vraiment pas cependant, et c'est pourquoi nous regardons normalement les films d'action.

Un autre de mes passe-temps, c'est de visiter de différents musées et d'apprendre sur d'autres pays et traditions. Il y a deux semaines, mes parents et moi avons volé en France pour visiter le Louvre. C'était génial ! J'ai adoré tous les tableaux et les autres œuvres d'art en exposition là, surtout la Joconde comme elle a semblé vivante. Après avoir visité le Louvre, mes parents ont décidé de faire une promenade à travers Paris. Nous sommes allés à beaucoup de différents monuments, spécialement la Tour Eiffel et l'Arc de Triomphe. Je n'ai pas aimé aller à la Tour Eiffel comme il pleuvait sur le coup et on ne pouvait rien voir ! Et la visite à l'Arc de Triomphe a été décevante aussi comme il n'y avait pas beaucoup à voir.

L'année prochaine, mes parents et moi avons l'intention d'aller à Paris et de visiter la Tour Eiffel encore une fois. J'espère que cette fois le temps fera mieux, et que je l'aimerai plus. Nous avons aussi l'intention d'aller à Disneyland comme c'est l'un des lieux que je veux visiter depuis longtemps. J'ai hâte d'y aller comme beaucoup de mes amis qui y sont allés m'en ont parlé. À l'avenir, j'espère aussi commencer de nouveaux passe-temps, comme le golf ou le tennis comme les deux semblent assez intéressants, et mon prof me les a recommandés.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
You guys must be old now 😀
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending