The Student Room Group

A-level Spanish Study Group 2023-2024

:hello: Welcome to the A-level Spanish Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

Scroll to see replies

Hey everyone! Hope this kicks off haha. I love talking with other language learners! I'm with the Eduqas exam board, which is a pain when you're trying to find content specific to your exam... I can never find anything!!! We have to use AQA textbooks lol. That said, I love virtually everything about the subject. I love talking to native speakers, I love studying the differences between the English and Spanish languages. I love observing how history and culture shape the language as much as it does for us in England etc. Most of all, over the summer, I've started helping teach English to Spanish speakers, and it is so much fun. I think my biggest challenge is making sure I'm confident; I am too much of a perfectionist and stress myself out to no end worrying I'm not good enough or haven't done enough when in reality I'm doing just fine!!! I

I'll ask a question: Has anyone else here tried translating or writing in Spanish? I've been slowly translating Lorca's Romancero gitano and it's always such fun to read your own work after, I feel very proud of myself.
Hello, this is the official thread for those in Year 13 who are currently studying A Level Spanish this year. First of all, hola amigos - we are in this together <3! Second, here are a few icebreaker questions:

1) name and where you are from
2) what other subjects you are taking at A Level
3) the grades you are hoping to get at the end of Year 13
4) the latest netflix show/movie you've watched
5) your go-to positive/motivational quote or affirmation
Reply 3
Original post by emm4nuella
Hello, this is the official thread for those in Year 13 who are currently studying A Level Spanish this year. First of all, hola amigos - we are in this together <3! Second, here are a few icebreaker questions:

1) name and where you are from
2) what other subjects you are taking at A Level
3) the grades you are hoping to get at the end of Year 13
4) the latest netflix show/movie you've watched
5) your go-to positive/motivational quote or affirmation

hola! i'm iona and i do a-level spanish, german and english lang and i am also doing an epq (hoping to study modern languages at uni). i'm predicted three a*s in my a-levels so hopefully that's what i get! i'm currently watching a lot of disney films (but in spanish!) as well as rewatching normal people for the millionth time haha :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Castrovalva
Hey everyone! Hope this kicks off haha. I love talking with other language learners! I'm with the Eduqas exam board, which is a pain when you're trying to find content specific to your exam... I can never find anything!!! We have to use AQA textbooks lol. That said, I love virtually everything about the subject. I love talking to native speakers, I love studying the differences between the English and Spanish languages. I love observing how history and culture shape the language as much as it does for us in England etc. Most of all, over the summer, I've started helping teach English to Spanish speakers, and it is so much fun. I think my biggest challenge is making sure I'm confident; I am too much of a perfectionist and stress myself out to no end worrying I'm not good enough or haven't done enough when in reality I'm doing just fine!!! I

I'll ask a question: Has anyone else here tried translating or writing in Spanish? I've been slowly translating Lorca's Romancero gitano and it's always such fun to read your own work after, I feel very proud of myself.

Just started Year 12 yesterday, taking AS level Spanish (AQA) after getting 239/240 in GCSE Spanish, personally, I have tried translating in Spanish, I was trying to have a conversation in Spanish last year with another friend who also took GCSE Spanish. Also, our GCSE course required us to translate a paragraph of Spanish and also write multiple paragraphs in Spanish (I would compare it to a shorter essay). What year are you?
Original post by imclx
hola! i'm iona and i do a-level spanish, german and english lang and i am also doing an epq (hoping to study modern languages at uni). i'm predicted three a*s in my a-levels so hopefully that's what i get! i'm currently watching a lot of disney films (but in spanish!) as well as rewatching normal people for the millionth time haha :smile:

heya those are good a level subjects btw!
hello hello fellow language nerds !!!!

I'm in year 13 and I take spanish, french and music technology btec !!! (i have no idea why i chose both langs i just love learning them :tongue:). exam board is wjec eduqas !

i don't know which language i like better/find easier but spanish feels a lot more natural for me to speak ! the best thing about learning languages is being able to understand the spoken language in series and dubbed cartoons, plus with prior knowledge of spanish, i've been able to understand bits and bobs of portuguese !!

i got 9s in fr sp in GCSE and currently predicted an A*s (i hope :redface:) and looking to go to uni of leeds !
if anyone needs help with revision techniques or how to answer some types of exam questions, my silly little nerdy heart will be happy to help !!!!

question for all year 13s and also year 12s if you've thought about it: what are your topics for your irp?
i'm going to do mayan history and the effects of spanish colonisation on mayan culture !
Just to let everyone know, I've merged two threads together here :smile:
Original post by charmaine.d

I'm in year 13 and I take spanish, french and music technology btec !!! (i have no idea why i chose both langs i just love learning them :tongue:). exam board is wjec eduqas !

i don't know which language i like better/find easier but spanish feels a lot more natural for me to speak ! the best thing about learning languages is being able to understand the spoken language in series and dubbed cartoons, plus with prior knowledge of spanish, i've been able to understand bits and bobs of portuguese !!

i got 9s in fr sp in GCSE and currently predicted an A*s (i hope :redface:) and looking to go to uni of leeds !
if anyone needs help with revision techniques or how to answer some types of exam questions, my silly little nerdy heart will be happy to help !!!!

question for all year 13s and also year 12s if you've thought about it: what are your topics for your irp?
i'm going to do mayan history and the effects of spanish colonisation on mayan culture !

hiya - welcome! how do you revise for spanish?
hiya - welcome! how do you revise for spanish?

hello ! so it really depends what youre revising !

for vocab learning lists, i use a traffic light system of "know", "guessable", and "new". nothing special other than that really, i just do the read, copy, write, cover method a few times. also if you can find silly ways to remember it or say it in a funny voice, it helps me and my friends remember our vocab ! especially helps to distinguish two words that are super similar (eg. we just had to learn alegar=to claim and alejar=to move away)!! revising verbally with friends is fun and helps everyone but sometimes it can be quicker to write things out a few times ! during my free earlier today, i spaced writing out the list over the course of an hour, ready for my next lesson!

revising tenses, i normally just make a big sheet where i go in chronological order and write how the tense is formed, when to use the tense, endings, irregulars etc

for essay writing, i also make a big sheet of phrases that i can use in introductions, paragraph starters, conclusions, analytical phrases etc. i've only studied the movie so far so i can't really say if the exact same applies to writing essays about the book, but for the movie, as long as you know what happens in the movie, a couple quotes and some wider context, it should be okay !!

i can expand later abt some methods i have when it comes to answering some exam questions if youd like ! (i might just be repeating stuff you already do but just in case it can help anyone, i'll write abt it !), i have a tad teeny tiny paragraph to write for music tomorrow
hello ! so it really depends what youre revising !

for vocab learning lists, i use a traffic light system of "know", "guessable", and "new". nothing special other than that really, i just do the read, copy, write, cover method a few times. also if you can find silly ways to remember it or say it in a funny voice, it helps me and my friends remember our vocab ! especially helps to distinguish two words that are super similar (eg. we just had to learn alegar=to claim and alejar=to move away)!! revising verbally with friends is fun and helps everyone but sometimes it can be quicker to write things out a few times ! during my free earlier today, i spaced writing out the list over the course of an hour, ready for my next lesson!

revising tenses, i normally just make a big sheet where i go in chronological order and write how the tense is formed, when to use the tense, endings, irregulars etc

for essay writing, i also make a big sheet of phrases that i can use in introductions, paragraph starters, conclusions, analytical phrases etc. i've only studied the movie so far so i can't really say if the exact same applies to writing essays about the book, but for the movie, as long as you know what happens in the movie, a couple quotes and some wider context, it should be okay !!

i can expand later abt some methods i have when it comes to answering some exam questions if youd like ! (i might just be repeating stuff you already do but just in case it can help anyone, i'll write abt it !), i have a tad teeny tiny paragraph to write for music tomorrow

what film are you studying?
what film are you studying?

maria llena eres de gracia !

I'm in year 12 and I just started taking french and spanish for a-level and my friends are asking why I am doing this to myself lol. But how do you revise for both languages? Because I found at GCSE i would get mixed up between the two pretty frequently but I would also be revising them at the same time together- I ended up getting 9s for both but is it better to leave more time before revising each one? For me I find french easier to speak but that's probably because I've been doing it longer. Also your irp sounds so interesting !
I can't lie - I still haven't even considered my IRP haha :redface:

Our teacher went off on maternity leave at the end of last year (so we had a fortnight where, literally, we were just given our classroom and told 'do what you feel is right') so we have a cover for most of this year - he's brilliant, and a native speaker (which is great especially because the French teacher isn't, so we're lucky) but obviously has no clue what we have/n't done, so we're mostly doing first-year recap. It's fine for now - don't get me wrong! - but I just really hope we don't have some major miscommunication or something which means the stuff I find more difficult like the IRP/film/text isn't left too late!!! Does anyone else get really nervous when branching into new territory? It isn't the content itself, but the thinking on my feet which makes me panic - I worry I'll look stupid or something... I work best when left on my own with plenty of time!
Original post by decomposing
I'm in year 12 and I just started taking french and spanish for a-level and my friends are asking why I am doing this to myself lol. But how do you revise for both languages? Because I found at GCSE i would get mixed up between the two pretty frequently but I would also be revising them at the same time together- I ended up getting 9s for both but is it better to leave more time before revising each one? For me I find french easier to speak but that's probably because I've been doing it longer. Also your irp sounds so interesting !

omg hiii double language twinsies !!!

it does help to revise them separately, but sometimes when i see similarities in words/grammar rules between the languages, noting them down can help remember both !! but yes, like you said, leave a gap between revising them both if you tend to get muddled a bit

revising for tests, obviously it depends what type of test but it really depends how much revision you need. generally, i just revise the tenses, maybe do a few practice questions, do a practice translation and watch an episode of a cartoon just to get into the headspace of hearing another language.

(snippet taken from a previous post in the thread about revising tenses!!!) i normally just make a big sheet where i go in chronological order and write how the tense is formed, when to use the tense, endings, irregulars etc

honestly, revising is so personal and specific to each person, after you do some a level practice papers and exam questions, you'll learn which areas you need to target. plus revising a language is so versatile and vast, you can really have fun with it. for casual revision, i would suggest looking for articles online in different languages, or !! if you have any specific areas of interest, look it up on wikipedia, they have an in-built translation function, and either translate it or just have a read and see what you can understand, note down any new vocab. my go-to is to watch dubbed cartoons/movies, especially before i have mock speaking exams, but you can listen to french/spanish music or find some video essays on youtube in fr/sp. if you're signed up with unifrog with your college, they have a big collection of wider reading resources that might be able to help you !!!!!

generally, find something that lets you practice listening, translation and reading, you should get lots of writing practice with your homework and in class. if you're still stuck on revision resources, it's always best to ask a teacher and see what they recommend !!
¡Hola todos! I’m in Y13 & taking Spanish (AQA), Maths (Edexcel), Further Maths (Edexcel) and Computer Science (AQA) (hopefully all A* at the end!)

What I enjoy the most: I love Spanish (been doing it for 7 years now!) bc it’s just such a straightforward language imo & learning new grammar in particular is my fav part bc I want to go into Linguistics for uni!
Areas I struggle w: the oral exam def 5 mins instead of 12 at GCSE is too little for me to do the tarjetas! Idk if I’m alone on this one haha

My texts are: Volver & La Casa de Bernarda Alba
IRP: I want to do it on another language in Spain (Gallego, Vasco, Catalán etc) but need to pick one jaja
Latest Netflix show/movie I’ve watched: Disenchantment P5 it was so good & such a nice ending to the series!
My go-to positive/motivational quote/affirmation: Either “all this misery brings no salary” from “Santa Fe” (RENT) or the song “Chip on my shoulder” from Legally Blonde (Both of these aren’t quotes haha)

How’s everyone finding their time back to school? UCAS deadlines for me are right around the corner so am trying to get my final drafts of my PS in!
Y finalmente, ¡Buena suerte a todos con vuestros exámenes! ¡Espero que saquéis buenas notas con todas las asignaturas!
Original post by pineapple1865
¡Hola todos! I’m in Y13 & taking Spanish (AQA), Maths (Edexcel), Further Maths (Edexcel) and Computer Science (AQA) (hopefully all A* at the end!)

What I enjoy the most: I love Spanish (been doing it for 7 years now!) bc it’s just such a straightforward language imo & learning new grammar in particular is my fav part bc I want to go into Linguistics for uni!
Areas I struggle w: the oral exam def 5 mins instead of 12 at GCSE is too little for me to do the tarjetas! Idk if I’m alone on this one haha

My texts are: Volver & La Casa de Bernarda Alba
IRP: I want to do it on another language in Spain (Gallego, Vasco, Catalán etc) but need to pick one jaja
Latest Netflix show/movie I’ve watched: Disenchantment P5 it was so good & such a nice ending to the series!
My go-to positive/motivational quote/affirmation: Either “all this misery brings no salary” from “Santa Fe” (RENT) or the song “Chip on my shoulder” from Legally Blonde (Both of these aren’t quotes haha)

How’s everyone finding their time back to school? UCAS deadlines for me are right around the corner so am trying to get my final drafts of my PS in!
Y finalmente, ¡Buena suerte a todos con vuestros exámenes! ¡Espero que saquéis buenas notas con todas las asignaturas!

you wanna do linguistics :biggrin:?! sameeee what unis are you thinking of?
omg yes, on the topic of unis, where does everyone else want to go ?? uni of leeds is my top choice atm !!
you wanna do linguistics :biggrin:?! sameeee what unis are you thinking of?

Love speaking w fellow lings applicants! My list is:
1. Cambridge
2. York
3. UCL
4. Edinburgh
5. Queen Mary’s
Hbu? (Asked this on another forum alr apologies for the repetition!) What area of lings are you most interested in?
Original post by pineapple1865
Love speaking w fellow lings applicants! My list is:
1. Cambridge
2. York
3. UCL
4. Edinburgh
5. Queen Mary’s
Hbu? (Asked this on another forum alr apologies for the repetition!) What area of lings are you most interested in?

oo fancy cambridge !! I was looking at oxbridge courses but none of them offer any asian languages :frown: same with york, it's 3rd in the country for french but they don't offer chinese </3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending