The Student Room Group

Official Thread: (Undergraduate) Medicine 2024 Entry

Welcome to the A100 Medicine 2024 entry thread.

Other useful threads
Medical Schools Index 2024 entry (for specific med school entry discussions): (not made yet)
GEM 2024 entry discussion: Official Thread: Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry - The Student Room
UCAT 2024 entry discussion: (not made yet)
BMAT 2024 entry discussion: (not made yet)

Previous A100 threads
A100 2023: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6902612
A100 2022: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6545350
A100 2021: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6101390
A100 2020: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5476254
A100 2019: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4874330

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Posting to sub :smile:
Reply 3
Hey everyone, what universities are we thinking of applying to? I'll list my top 3 below:

1 - King's College
2 - Oxford University
3 - QMUOL

Honourable mentions:
Cambridge, Imperial and UCL
Reply 4
Original post by z4ra.x
Hey everyone, what universities are we thinking of applying to? I'll list my top 3 below:

1 - King's College
2 - Oxford University
3 - QMUOL

Honourable mentions:
Cambridge, Imperial and UCL

You have picked 3 totally different course styles there, and more again in your mentions, so how have you selected these? You like traditionally-integrated-case-base-PBL? They are literally opposite extremes in learning styles.....
Reply 5
Original post by GANFYD
You have picked 3 totally different course styles there, and more again in your mentions, so how have you selected these? You like traditionally-integrated-case-base-PBL? They are literally opposite extremes in learning styles.....

I'm still deciding? You do realise that I'm in Year 11, right? :confused:
Original post by z4ra.x

Yes…so we are asking how you have made that shortlist, given the courses are so different? Presumably you have looked up these universities and researched them already, to be able to say that you are targeting them for your future application? It is a bit like if someone said “I want to live in London, or rural Wales, or the Sahara desert” - you want to know how such a disparate group of places has come together!
Reply 7
May I know whether bio is one of the compulsory subject (taken in A-level or IB etc) for applying to medicine in UK?
Original post by luck guy
May I know whether bio is one of the compulsory subject (taken in A-level or IB etc) for applying to medicine in UK?

The first post of this thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422 shows all the A level requirements of each uni. You can get in to some courses without Bio, but it will limit your choices, albeit not as much as having a <A grade in biology.
Reply 9
Original post by becausethenight
The first post of this thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422 shows all the A level requirements of each uni. You can get in to some courses without Bio, but it will limit your choices, albeit not as much as having a <A grade in biology.

Hey, thanks for the information.
Hey, thanks for the information.

No worries, it’s what we’re here for :smile:
Original post by z4ra.x

Oh hey! im currently in year 11 too. Applying for sixth forms and i'm also interested in medicine. What A-level subjects are you thinking of?
Reply 12
Original post by N.Lanyoh
Oh hey! im currently in year 11 too. Applying for sixth forms and i'm also interested in medicine. What A-level subjects are you thinking of?

Biology, Chemistry, Maths. I was thinking of Further Maths but I'm only a 7 in Maths rn :frown:
Reply 13
Yes, I know.. :frown:

I have a question.
If I achieved 99988877 in my GCSE's, could I at least get into perhaps King's College? If not, then what university could at least accept me?
Reply 14
Ah, I see. I feel that maybe it would help if I showed all of my extra-curriculars as well, right?
Original post by z4ra.x
Biology, Chemistry, Maths. I was thinking of Further Maths but I'm only a 7 in Maths rn :frown:

I was thinking about further maths too but I just don’t think I could handle the stress. I do further maths for GCSE and it’s basically what I’ll be doing at A level, that alone is hard enough lol. A lot of sixth forms I’ve seen require an 8/9 in maths to do further maths but it varies depending on where you are tryna go.
yeah, i honestly think that doing a 4th A-Level is a waste of time
Original post by N.Lanyoh
yeah, i honestly think that doing a 4th A-Level is a waste of time

I was doing Bio, Chem, Maths and Further Maths up until the end of year 12. I felt really overworked and I actually emailed every medical school, and all but about 2 said they wouldn't even acknowledge I've taken it, it genuinely does not play into the selection process at all. So I dropped it, it quote literally is a waste of time, there is no benefit.

Do Bio, Chem and something else to have the most flexibility. You can do maths, but don't take it because you think. it's the 'best' third a-level for medicine, or bc your school said you should. I and a lot of my friends have grown to hate maths and I wish I'd never taken it lol. It was far from my favourite subject, I would have rather taken a language or psychology or geography but my school said maths would be more useful. That's a lie, medical schools don't care what the third is, some have even expressed a preference/liking in the past for a non science third a-level, as it makes you more 'rounded'

I'd also say consider other career paths and what you need for them, this is where you might consider taking a fourth a-level. Accept the possibility you might not want to do medicine when it comes to y13. When I started y12, we had a 'premed' meeting about a month in, there were no joke more than 100 students there who wanted to apply, when it got to application time, me and 12 others were left. A loooooot of people realise half way through it isn't what they want to do, even if they had wanted it since they were 5 years old. So if you'd also like to do Law as well then maybe consider Bio, Chem, English Lit. If you'd like to do Physics, consider Bio, Chem, Maths and Physics until you decide for sure. But ultimately pick whatever you can get an A in as that is the most important part.
(edited 2 years ago)

I think you better choose bio. Only a few school don’t require for bio.
Reply 19
Original post by little dou
I think you better choose bio. Only a few school don’t require for bio.

23 med schools do not require biology

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending